Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont think the Mazda Sport came with the Bose system - heck, I dont even know where the amp to it is hiding.
I have a center speaker grill - but I think its empty... or the original owner took it out?

Im the 2nd owner, and I think the original driver left me some really shitty speakers - especially on the passenger side.
I can hear the tweeter up by front on the driver side.. but the passenger side is very weak and the bass cracks up with volume bad- I think in his haste to leave me some shitty speakers he screwed up the negative and positive on the speaker wires. So maybe its a simple fix.

Regardless, if thats not the sound issue and I do need new speakers:

Should I get a set of Mid-range speakers for the front doors and use the stock tweeters and the factory connectors to those tweeters... I assume if I connect the "new" mid-range into the door the connection to the stock tweeter is done.

For the rear doors - co-axial?

Maybe Co-axial all around?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
771 Posts
:laugh:

Maybe I was suggesting to use a 3 component speaker set up in the front doors. Woofer, mid and tweeters. :wink2:
It does not have to be costly and the end result depends on the individual and how picky your are about the sound. Higher end and speakers are just more efficient but you can still get great sound improvements on a budget.

I am a Audiophile and have built custom auto sound systems since the early 80's. So my pickiness is on the extreme level. :nerd:

Find the component system that meets your project funding and match them to a good amplifier. The first thing to consider is what is the most important thing you want out of the sound system.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I skipped around in that 16 page autobiography.... but I assume your suggestion is to go buy some F&CKING TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR COMPONENT SPEAKER SYSTEM!?!?!?!?!?!?
I see you're in SC! So am I! I live off of I-26, half way between Newberry and Columbia.

Anyway, a good inexpensive component set is the Savard set. Like $80, and come with crossovers. Check them out.

Also, you may want to give them a small amp. More power pretty much always makes speakers sound good. I recommend the Rockford Fosgate Prime series and bang-for-the-buck champs. Not a lot of money for some really clean power.

·
Banned
771 Posts
Honestly do some careful consideration and read the several reviews on the top ten components systems that meet your budget.
Please notice that a few seem to repeat at the top of the list. I have tried many of them and can say most of the review are somewhat accurate. If you don't see a suggested component set that people or shops may recommend there are reasons why. The Audiophile market is wide as speaker choices but recommended speaker choice IMHO the quality of sound that some hear in what they have for their cars speakers tends to somewhat fall on those with tone deaf ears. lol Do your research if you can't exchange or return your choice in speakers be more careful of what you choose . :nerd:
I would not go with other speaker suggestions unless you can personally hear them in a vehicle similar to yours. In the end you may like them at first but they will grow tiresome as you find them less then what you want in the sound quality.:nerd:
Amps>
You can not go wrong with Rockford Fosgate amps no matter what you choose in speakers. :grin2:

While you were quick to point out the cost of my speaker choice you didn't read that I went through a few less expensive speaker choices that did not have the sound quality I was wanting. Unfortunately better sound cost more money and there is NO SHORT CUTS to this. BTW I could not afford the speakers I really would like to have and settled for those in my project. :wink2:

Just so we understand... I not only sold auto speaker components as well helped design and install custom speaker systems but also played in a band for a few years. To Bragg before there were stereo contests Eric Burdon once sat in my steroed out 82 Camaro and was set back at the sound of his own bands music and him singing.:grin2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont need audiophile level equipment in my car. Anything is better than the tin cans I have now.
I went with this setup:
(1)Pair MB QUART FSB216 6.5" 280 Watt Car Audio Component Speakers
(1)Pair MB QUART FKB116 6.5" 240 Watt 2-Way Car Audio Speakers

I just dont see any other deal around locally that I can get ALL of my speakers for $70 with free shipping and free returns.

I had great experience with MB Quart Co-axials before in the past.
If anyone is interested, December 2018: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302754360859

so now the question is where do I put the crossover?

·
Banned
771 Posts
So I guess because you choose a 2 way system instead of the recommended 3 way in the doors you are going to have a separate sub-woofer?
Mazda's door design configuration do not do well with the sound imaging with 2 ways trying to use the woofer/mid in the the door for low HZ(-300HZ) sound reproduction.

Suggested mounting locations for the cross overs are under the rear seat or up under the dash.

Good luck with your project. :nerd:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A small sub or possible bass shakers in the front seats... not sure yet.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If they aren't already, seal the crossovers with some hot glue or silicone, then just let them live in the doors. Done and done.

·
Banned
771 Posts
Mounting any *crossover component in any door:
This is a bad idea for numerous reasons on a daily driver.

Technically you really want to mount a crossover component as close to the amp as possible. However we all know that is not always an easy task. So the better choice considerations are under rear or front seat. If that is not possible then under the dash and when that is not possible in one of the covered panel interior panels NOT exposed to outside weather like the inside of a door.
To each his own regarding this subject, but I can tell you in my shops (also many of my friends who own/operate Auto Sound shops) now matter who is authorized to do an install no one mounts crossover component in the doors!!!!

*crossover component:
Not a single cap or coil but a complete passive or active component system.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mounting any *crossover component in any door:
This is a bad idea for numerous reasons on a daily driver.
I've been doing it for years, decades, even. So long as they're sealed from the elements, they're fine.

Technically you really want to mount a crossover component as close to the amp as possible.
Nope. You want the chokes, caps, and resistors as *close* to the drivers as possible. That way you avoid long runs of speaker wire which can add resististance, impedance, and all kinds of other nasties which throw off your calculated values for your chosen crossover components. The shorter the run between your passive crossovers and the drivers they're controlling, they more accurate the crossover slopes will be, and the happier the loudspeakers themselves will be.

·
Banned
771 Posts
Yooo DUDE ! :serious:
I've been doing it for years, decades, even. So long as they're sealed from the elements, they're fine.

**You want the chokes, caps, and resistors as *close* to the drivers as possible.
**Correct and really .... Dude go re-read my response :laugh: I was very clear about my words and what I said. Clearly I said component crossover not cap or coils DUDE!:laugh: And even *asterisk the definition so some members like yourself would not be confused. :laugh:

As for what you do :rolledeyes: thats your choice I am glad that always worked out for you. I on the other hand don't like comebacks (un-happy customers) because of warranty issues that will not be covered by the manufactures due to some of the things you suggest doing to the component crossovers. :rolledeyes: I did say what I do in my personal; installation as well my shops(s) and my friends in the Audio business do and have done. :nerd: :grin2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think he means stick them between the interior door panel and the metal... not on the other side where the rain and all is just going drip on them. The crossovers are pretty small.. probably going in the kicker panels INSIDE the interior of the car out of sight. Is this allowed or did I break rule #454352 of the galactic audio frequency committee? Im not in any sound competition with anyone.

·
Banned
771 Posts
I think he means stick them between the interior door panel and the metal... not on the other side where the rain and all is just going drip on them. The crossovers are pretty small.. probably going in the kicker panels INSIDE the interior of the car out of sight. Is this allowed or did I break rule #454352 of the galactic audio frequency committee? Im not in any sound competition with anyone.
If that is what he meant he should have said so. IMHO on forums we all should never interpret what someone writes, not guess what there meaning is only read what is stated and not presumed ?
If you must place component crossovers in the door then obviously the way you found this information on the internet :wink2: would be the way to install them. But I would highly recommend not to seal them with hot glue,silicone, duck tape, or chewing gum!
I am trying to get use to your style of responding...between sarcasm and just being funny. Like myself we can not see the person so have no idea the rest of what is needed in human communication like face expressions and body language to understand the full language of communication.

My recommendation are not for a stereo used necessarily in any competition but I can tell you there is a lot of junk stereo equipment on the market and people that really do not understand how to make a good quality sound system even on an extreme budget. They make all kinds of mistakes mis matching parts and wondering why the speakers blow or in the end sounds like shit!
As I keep saying many times in several threads on this forum and others I DONT post in any thread or give any kind of help unless I PERSONALLY have used the parts recommending, done the service or know the empirical facts about something.

So if you look yes you did break "rule #454352 of the galactic audio frequency committee" sub paragraph "A" which states better to do it your way and experiment then listen to some that have experience? :laugh: :nerd:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Same could be applied to car stereo equipment. My $80 speakers if I marketed them correctly to you.. I could shake $2g's from your wallet.

Yea, get use to my sense of humor too I guess. :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Clearly I said component crossover not cap or coils
What exactly do you think passive crossovers are made of? HINT: they're made of chokes, caps, and (sometimes) resistors, arranged in a specific manner.

I've been building crossovers since the 80's, and I used to even wind my own chokes way back in the day.

·
Banned
771 Posts
What exactly do you think passive crossovers are made of? HINT: they're made of chokes, caps, and (sometimes) resistors, arranged in a specific manner.

I've been building crossovers since the 80's, and I used to even wind my own chokes way back in the day.
And so have I.
As a business and hobby. DUDE! :rolledeyes: :laugh:
The "PASSIVE" crossovers I made were NOT really contained in a seal enclose back in the day as I am sure you must know and what we are both talking about is cross over components that are encased. DUDE really this is getting funny. I have a lot of my old stereo antiques from that time period I would be more then happy to dig up and post pictures. How but you? :laugh:
While I have posted enough of my own personal cars(plural) all having custom stereo I have NEVER seen really anything that you have done at least on this forum? :laugh:
I have also looked at all the threads you have started....you can learn a lot about a member from them as well what threads they respond in! :rolledeyes: :laugh:

Anyway what ever DUDE carry on!! as I see you often do :nerd:

EDITED:
I went in to find the old "PASSIVE" crossover and found these. This should age me a bit? Try to even find these specially NEW anywhere? Back in the "80" (19801-about 1983) I was a Alphasonik dealer. :laugh:

20181212_115415.jpg

20181212_115425.jpg

Early 1980's passive cross overs:

20181212_120050.jpg

20181212_120114.jpg

I could post pictures all day long. Dozens of speakers, amps ,all the fasteners and wires etc... wood,poly-fill,glue etc that I can go out and make a few complete stereo systems in most any vehicle anytime I want. only a couple of new No head units because that get to complicated to keep anything that does not get out dated in a week .LOL

·
Banned
771 Posts
Am I on a honda civic forum.. and I just don't know it?
If i get your drift ...all forums are the same no matter what the platform is. There are those that are basically DIY and try there best to support and then there are a very few that do things for a living and try to fit in but often are the outsider, that challenges "TRIBAL Beliefs and MYTHs. :wink2:

I hope you are not one that to drill a hole you drill a whole series of smaller ones and then call it a hole.....that would be IMHO a "honda" or more to the point "RICER" forum so to say! :wink2:

In this thread I have only tried to steer you in a better direction of thought.....:nerd:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts