Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am nearing 44k miles and it appears i need a clutch soon, the sombiatch is slipping every now and then.

anyone else able to tell me when they did theirs and if it was b/c they were turboing... or were they just jdoing it b/c the thing was slipping? Oh and where does your clutch engage? mines at the very very tippy top of the pedal.

thanks.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
mine is somewhere in the middle too, but i am on my second one....first one was right at the stop. So it does vary

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
milage?

its freaking me out and my dad is royally pissed b/c his old ford lasted 100k miles, hell his 911 lasted past 120k miles before he replaced it.

my 944 had 70k on the clock and i snapped its clutch in half... i guess im just not that nice with clutches.

also, should i replace the flywheel with a lightened one or what?
im probably going to go with a borgwarner or sachs replacement clutch.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
flywheel should be fine.....it most likely will just need to be resurfaced

·
Registered
31 Posts
All clutches that came with the cars from the factory:
1979 Fiat spider had 80k plus miles (replaced the transmission at 82k, so new clutch)
1989 Honda CRX Si had 150k plus (when I got rid of it)
1984 Isuzu pick up had 150k plus (when I got rid of it)
1979 Toyota Corolla had 150k plus (when I blew the engine)
1996 Geo Tracker (wife-manual training vehicle) has 90k
1996 Miata M Edition has almost 130k and I drive this car like it is meant to be driven, sideways around corners, rev to 3k RPM and dump the clutch, double clutch, power shift and engine-brake when approaching red lights. I also downshift like a mutha.
Moral of the story is, never let a noob drive your manual, and never learn in your own car.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
yeah, I made the mistake of learning on my own car.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
didnt learn in my car... this is my third manual... had a geo prizm that had 140k before we replaced the clutch.

and that was 60k after i learned how to drive manual, and my sister, and my friend down the street...

needless to say im peeved that this thing needs to be replaced. its getting worse now. today it was really cold out and in second and third gear it was quite noticable that the clutch wasnt engaging properly.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=67556.msg1180951#msg1180951 date=1170353433]
dont keep your foot on the clutch when you are not engaging it and it will last a lot longer.
[/quote]
Ha, No kidding!! How someone needs a new clutch before at least 100k is beyond me. LEARN TO USE A CLUTCH!!! :shock: I am in shock that someone needs a new clutch in a mazda 3 regardless of miles..They just dont go bad that fast unless you dont know how to use them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Along the same line, but slightly different......

Ever see someone's brake lights blink when they hit a bump? Ever wonder why? I had a friend in high school who's parents taught him and his sister to drive an automatic with both feet (scary much?). We fixed that by teaching him to drive a manual.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
strangely enough, my problems have gone away. i lay all to damn cold weather or something screwy like that. no clutch problems for the last week. weird hey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts