Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new I have a question maybe someone else has had this happen- i drive a 2004 mazda 3 hatchback- it has 19000 miles on it- no problems except this one-
i was at a red light and put the car in neutral and the light changed i pushed down the clutch and this horrible metal breaking noise happened. i put the car back in neutral and push the clutch down again and it seemed alittle spongy not much just different. put the car in gear and drove well like i said it was a tiny bit spongy. got home looked on the floorboard and a broken spring on the mat. I have one of those service manuals on cdrom so i was looking and it could only be from one place- back of the pedal. took it and the car to the dealer thinking they could just replace the spring- well they had to replace the entire pedal. the warranty took care of it but they told me they had never seen that happen before. just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
thanks- nick

·
Registered
508 Posts
The past 3 days I have been hearing a funny noise coming from my clutch when I fully depress it. Once I hit about 1-2 inches at the end I heard a crunchy grindy spring noist and it feels kinda of the way you said it "spongy". I hope its not the same problem. I dont want to have to take my car back in again but it has been concerning me as well as a few other noises my car makes in the engine that concerns me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it never gave a sign ahead of time- it just happened- the noise was almost like glass smashing loud really loud- really scared me. one of the hooks that holds the spring on was broken right off- found both pieces and gave them to the dealer. they tried to order just the spring but could not it is not suppose to come off. thanks for the reply.
Nick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep,

Mine just went yesterday! No sign ahead of time, and I really don't ever pound on the clutch (ok, maybe once in a while). Mine goes in tomorrow, and they said the same thing about needing to replace the whole pedal assembly. The first place I called said it wasn't covered by warranty. I have an appointment at another dealership tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is covered under the powertrain warranty did not cost me a dime for them to replace the part- part #BP4S-41-300G. Go to another dealer- as long as the mileage is not over they should replace it with no cost. The dealer felt bad told me it should of never happened and gave me a free oil change. Hey that's at least $30.00 saved.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Put me down as one of the people who's had their clutch spring break. Mine broke around 35K miles or so on start-up, scared the hell out of me. The dealer replaced the entire pedal assembly. Problem is that now my starter interlock is very sensitive. I have to push as hard as possible on the pedal to have the starter engage. I took it back to the dealer and they looked at me like I was an idiot. I told them that I had owned the car for 2 years and never had any problems. I hate Mazda dealers. Everyone who drives my car has problems. I always have to explain the whole thing so they can start my car. Perhaps I'll try a different dealer before my warranty is up.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
You could always just put a felt pad on the end of the clutch pedal where it hits the clutch ignition lockout switch, that way it doesn't have to be pushed in so hard. Idealy the dealership would fix it, but it should take you 15 seconds to slap a felt pad on the end of it, and it will probably take care of your problem.
-Matt

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Has anyone who had noticed this ever noticed that you can feel it when you turn your steering wheel in your clutch pedal? Did that make sense? My clutch pedal has been feeling really weird as of late. When I press it all the way down it feels like I'm crunching something and I can hear it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing happened to me at 41K. I called the dealership here in Northern Virginia who confirmed that my warranty had just expired and would be a customer pay situation. I love my car and have been pleased by the performance and handling yet was unnerved that I would need to replace the entire pedal assembly at a cost of $340.00 I examined the spring that had broken and went down to Fairfax Auto Parts in Vienna. I paid $4.60 and got a nearly identical replacement part. I spent about 15 minutes with a lighter and pair of pliers shaping the hook and another 10 minutes fitting it in to place. I have been driving it now for 3K an no issues...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine when BANG! this Saturday and it scared the bleep out of me.
Luckly I got the spring in a local store today so i'll try to fix this weekend, well, until I find some instructions though. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts