Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '04 Mazda 3S 5 speed. I replaced the blown 2.3 with a 2015 Fusion 2.5 and installed a M-PACT stage 1 clutch kit (from RockAuto) on the resurfaced stock flywheel. I bought it blown up and have no idea how the clutch was before nor do I have prior experience with them. The clutch engages about 3 inches from the floor and has about 1 inch of free play. There is no factory adjustment available so I modified the slave cylinder a 1/4 of an inch away from the lever to see if it would lower the release point or if the clutch system would self adjust. When I got done the clutch, to my excitement, engaged about 1 inch from the floor instead of 3 inches. I enjoyed a way better clutch and driving experience for 3 days and over 70 miles and then the clutch slowly began to adjust itself back up to where it was before. My research so far has shown that the clutches on the 3 normally engage high. I figure that guys that have raced these have possibly installed other parts or done some type of modification to get a better clutch engagement point as this effects performance. Would like to here what you all have done or recommend for a better clutch engagement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was looking I ended up with the south bend clutch stage 2 endurance clutch. It's a bit stiffer but once its broken in, not bad at all. Its sintered iron on one side and high metalic organic material on the other. the combo makes it easy to daily drive but grabs hard when you need it. Also came with a single mass flywheel that was a few pounds lighter than stock...you definitely notice it when reving the car up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was looking I ended up with the south bend clutch stage 2 endurance clutch. It's a bit stiffer but once its broken in, not bad at all. Its sintered iron on one side and high metalic organic material on the other. the combo makes it easy to daily drive but grabs hard when you need it. Also came with a single mass flywheel that was a few pounds lighter than stock...you definitely notice it when reving the car up.
steventw,

Looks like you had a speed3. I have a regular '04. I checked out the south bend website. Man, those are some sweet clutches. If I would have known what I know now I would have probably gotten their daily driver or enduro stage 2 clutch for my setup instead of the M-PACT stage 1. I will continue as is right now but would like to upgrade down the road.

On a side note. Did you run a cold air intake on your speed 3? I'm toying with adding one but have gotten various feedback about it. If so, did you notice a power gain and did you ever have issues with water getting on the filter.(I'm looking at the ones that actually run down outside the engine compartment behind the bumper not a short horn one)

·
Registered
3 Posts
steventw,

Looks like you had a speed3. I have a regular '04. I checked out the south bend website. Man, those are some sweet clutches. If I would have known what I know now I would have probably gotten their daily driver or enduro stage 2 clutch for my setup instead of the M-PACT stage 1. I will continue as is right now but would like to upgrade down the road.

On a side note. Did you run a cold air intake on your speed 3? I'm toying with adding one but have gotten various feedback about it. If so, did you notice a power gain and did you ever have issues with water getting on the filter.(I'm looking at the ones that actually run down outside the engine compartment behind the bumper not a short horn one)
Yeah they make some beefy clutches lol

As for the CAI, I didn't bother on a turbo charged car. You might get a few degrees colder air at the filter, but once it hits the turbo it becomes a flame thrower (especially on the stock ms3 turbo), that its not worth the risk of one. I ended up adding meth injection for my cooling purposes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts