Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this annoying clunking sound coming from the right-rear of my car when moving. I think it might have something to do with the brakes because when they are applied the clunking stops. At first i thought it was maybe a loose brake pad but my mechanic friend tightened it up and couldn't find anything else wrong, and yet the noise continues. Any ideas?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Did you do something with your rear sway bar? Bolts often come loose if you change the RSB and can make a clunking sound when you are braking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is pretty cold but not too severe. average of about 20F in winter. i live in windsor, ontario, canada. i haven't touched the sway bar myself. i bought the car used in october.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help. i dont know if its relevant but it clunks based on how fast the wheels are spinning. so the faster i go the faster it clunks. thats why i thought it was something to do with brake pads or something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
[quote author=snozzi86 link=topic=135955.msg2930212#msg2930212 date=1234393687]
thanks for the help. i dont know if its relevant but it clunks based on how fast the wheels are spinning. so the faster i go the faster it clunks. thats why i thought it was something to do with brake pads or something.
[/quote]

OK, that is entirely different. A clunk that speeds up or slows down with the wheels is either something not right with the brakes or something loose hitting the spinning wheel. I would take off the wheel and inspect everything behind it carefully before continuing to drive the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yah i had my mechanic look at it and he cant find anything! weird thing is when the car is up on the jack and you spin the wheel, you cant hear anything clunking or see anything make contact. ugh. really frustrating.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check all around the wheel well area with the wheel off. There is probably some evidence of something rubbing around the wheel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts