Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
In in PA, and my entire car is rusted as a mother. I'd say every bolt underneath that thing in rusted/corroded. As for the mounts, they told me the transmission mount is good. The passenger one was replaced about 3 years ago. Again, I feel this clunk pretty much at the footwall, and just on the driver side.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not so for the passenger side mount? I ask because my son's can makes a mystery clunk going over bumps and we've checked just about everything. I, probably incorrectly, assumed that if the PMM is ok (and it looks ok to me) then the DMM must be ok. I know the PMMs fail fairly frequently. I replaced my daughters mounts (all three) but only the PMM was broken. DMM was definitely starting to break, but still intact.

So maybe my son's clunk is the transmission mount. Maybe we'll just replace all three of his since they're not expensive when purchased as a group.
In my experience with these cars, motor mounts are accountable for more than 50% of "weird noise" issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got some quotes for this lower control arm replacement. Not only do they recommend both sides, but alignment after as well. Called three shops, they're all $650-$700. This is insanity. What other options do I have?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Got some quotes for this lower control arm replacement. Not only do they recommend both sides, but alignment after as well. Called three shops, they're all $650-$700. This is insanity. What other options do I have?
DIY?

Watch some videos on lower control arm replacements and having an air hammer is pretty awesome. For the price you were quoted I'd buy replacement control arms and an air hammer. But you obviously would need a tank and hose - possibly borrow? I know people with air tools, just not an air hammer.

Each major repair I do I justify buying a new 'big' tool because of the money I save.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was the clunking noise on passenger side because my 2013 has been check for everything but it sounds like it’s the passenger side strut again
Have you had them check your motor mounts?

If that trans/driver's side motor mount goes, it makes a clunk when you hit bumps, curbs, turns, and accel/decel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm leaning towards replacing the lower control arm on the drivers side. Got an estimate for $280 for that and they recommended an alignment. Does this sound right?
Please tell me what it was in the end I'm dealing with this issue in my 2014 mazda 3.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts