Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Progress Version 2 (with the stoppers) on Saturday, and the difference so far has been amazing. When driving home from Virginia last night I realized the rear was making the dreaded clunk every time I went over a small bump in the road (very small, like where a bridge meets the pavement). When I installed the bar I torqued the 4 bushing bolts to 38lbs, per the 30-40 ft-lbs spec. I didn't have a way to use my torque wrench on the endlink nuts (I'd never heard of a crowfoot extension at the time), but I tried to get them about as tight as I could. I applied Blue Loctite to all six bolts.

I tried tightening the lower two bushing bolts by hand and couldn't get them any tighter with my ratcheting wrench, and the endlink don't seem loose. At the moment I don't have a 14mm open wrench (I borrowed one at the time) so I can't verify the tightness on the endlink nuts, and I don't have a deep socket to try to tighten the upper bushing bolts. I have the crowfoot extension and 14mm deep socket on order right now.

My two questions now are:
1) How bad is this? The clunk is annoying as shit, but am I damaging something by driving the car in it's current condition? I'm hoping to get the socket and crowfoot in, put the car on the ramps, and retorque the hell out of everything. Do I need to address this immediately, or can I fix it in a week when I get the tools?
2) What did I do wrong? As far as I can tell I did everything right. It's the progress bar with the stoppers, I was under the impression it was clunk-free if installed correctly. Should I have waited for the bushings to settle, should I have over-torqued the bolts, should I have REALLY used the torque wrench on the endlink nuts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: HELP NEEDED: Clunk with Progress V2 Rear Sway Bar

Nobody has a clue on this? This clunk is really bothering me, as I know know if I'm royally screwing up my suspension by driving it or what. As soon as the tools come in I'm going to loosen and retighten everything, but if that doesn't work I feel like I'm going to have to put the stock bar back on.

Does anybody know what the clunk is, and if it's causing long-term damage?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

Did you get it resolved yet?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

[quote author=zimmerDN link=topic=74272.msg1421372#msg1421372 date=1179514551]
Did you get it resolved yet?
[/quote]

The clunking problem, yes. I ended up just overtorquing the endlink nuts and that seemed to get rid of it.

Now I'm getting a weird ticking from back of the car when sitting idle, like at a stop light. It's not a constant noise, mostly one tick at a time, generally a minute or so apart. It almost sounds like plastic stress, something rubbing or clicking, but it's not like there's a lot of vibration on the back end when sitting idle that was cause motion.

It's not nearly as bad as the clunking was, however. The ticking is annoying, but I can deal with it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Mine clunks as well, but it's not too bothersome IMO. I think it's just shifting in the bushings.

One fix I saw was to place some poly sheets under the bushings, did you see/try that Bearda?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
So even the new progress bars that are selling right now will still have that clunk? Meaning they didn't do squat to fix it.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=zimmerDN link=topic=74272.msg1536722#msg1536722 date=1183576014]
So even the new progress bars that are selling right now will still have that clunk? Meaning they didn't do squat to fix it.
[/quote]

The new bar did fix my problem once I torqued the endlink nuts down pretty hard. I'd say the V2 bar is pretty effective once you get it set up right.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Really; well maybe I'll have to get under the car again and have a look. Did you use a tq wrench, or just crank the hell out of them?

Also, do you happen to know what size allen the endlink uses? iirc my set didn't quite have the right size.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=MZ3FRS link=topic=74272.msg1536821#msg1536821 date=1183581809]
Really; well maybe I'll have to get under the car again and have a look. Did you use a tq wrench, or just crank the hell out of them?

Also, do you happen to know what size allen the endlink uses? iirc my set didn't quite have the right size.
[/quote]

Yes, I did use a torque wrench. You'll need a 14mm crowsfoot extension, though. I'd strongly suggest using some thread-locking compound.

No clue what size allen wrench it uses. I just pulled my set under the car with me and kept trying until I found one that fit.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I used loctite on my endlink bolts, tightened them real tight, put a sheet of 1/8" thick polyurethane shim behind the bushings before I bolted them down, and I have no clunk. I run a V1 progress with the hose clamp fix to prevent sliding.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Im guessing that with the aftermarket sway bars, they sell or give polyurethane bushing? If so did you lube them good. Most of the time what they supply you with doesnt work well. I had energy bushings on my last car and added a synthetic lube (in a tube). Worked great. If you dont you will get sqeaking.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote author=SportWagN link=topic=74272.msg1537781#msg1537781 date=1183652511]
Im guessing that with the aftermarket sway bars, they sell or give polyurethane bushing? If so did you lube them good. Most of the time what they supply you with doesnt work well. I had energy bushings on my last car and added a synthetic lube (in a tube). Worked great. If you dont you will get sqeaking.
[/quote]

They supplied polyurethane bushings with my progress bar, and some silicon lube. I rotated the bushing around the bar a few times and it seemed to be pretty well lubed, but it may be worth double-checking if you're having issues.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
So this company can engineer and manufacture a sway bar but can't get rid of the clunk? This bar has been available for many months and they have sold many units of it. No progress has been made to get rid of the noise completely, once and for all? They need to change their company name lol.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
it seems to be an issue with all sway bars for the mazda3. There are many reports of Racing Beat bars clunking as well, some who have used both report that the RB bars do it even worse.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
^ REALLY?

i was thinking of taking off my Progress V2 and switching to RB sways.

but i think i'll keep it on now... lol

what are some other good sway bars for our cars? MS?
im thinking of adding a front sway too, and i need opinions on which one to get.

·
Registered
897 Posts
[quote author=zimmerDN link=topic=74272.msg1537893#msg1537893 date=1183655825]
So this company can engineer and manufacture a sway bar but can't get rid of the clunk? This bar has been available for many months and they have sold many units of it. No progress has been made to get rid of the noise completely, once and for all? They need to change their company name lol.
[/quote]

Well, based on bearda's experience, it's an issue with tightening the endlinks, not with the design of the bar. I don't fault Progress at this point; the endlinks are a raging pain in the ass to tighten, and it's very likely I just didn't tighten them hard enough.

I'll give mine a crack with some loctite and brute force and report any change in the clunk. I'll probably get to it sometime next week.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I'll second that its probably our endlinks that are responsible, they are pretty flimsy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.