Mazda3 Forums banner

clicking suspension noise when turning into driveways

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  RC 
#1 ·
when i turn left into my driveway, i hear a loud snapping kind of noise from the front suspension. i would say the driveway is about 20-25 degrees. has anyone had this happen ot them?

a quick side question.. does anyone get the "float" at low speeds? i some time get it when im going 40 mpg.

#2 ·
Yes and yes. But i get the snaping clunk when i make a right in to the driveway almost sounds like a middle finger knuckle popping. It hard to tell what causes it but i know for sure that my left rear wheel is off the ground so maybe its the rear spring unseating and then being pushed back into place. Only happens with moderately - steeply sloped driveways and when turning into them at a fastly decelerating speed, like when you realize your about to miss your dirveway and then turn into it.

#4 ·
A whole 7000 miles. Yet at 1200 miles a big chunk of concrete reached out and hit me (of course on the drivers side) while i was driving down the freeway. It blew my tire and bent the rim, im sure it jacked something on that side but there was nothing suspension wise that was bent, nor do i have any odd tire wear. Maybe ill try replacing the spindle/ knuckle assembly sometime in the future.

#5 ·
i have 8K on mine.. about a week ago i hit a piece of a blown out tire on the freeway and it made a pretty loud banging sound. it might just be me but thats when i noticed the clicking sound on the driveway.

man, as much as i love my car, i dont feel safe driving it around sometime with so many loud weird noises and the float..

#6 ·
[quote author=tbone13 link=topic=101688.msg2042999#msg2042999 date=1202033507]
i have 8K on mine.. about a week ago i hit a piece of a blown out tire on the freeway and it made a pretty loud banging sound. it might just be me but thats when i noticed the clicking sound on the driveway.

man, as much as i love my car, i dont feel safe driving it around sometime with so many loud weird noises and the float..
[/quote]

What do you mean by "the float"?

#8 ·
I get a pretty loud "clunk" when I reverse the car with the steering wheel fully locked counter-clockwise. The clunk is absent if I am moving forward or if I'm not fully locked.

I've always wondered what it was. I guess I'll have my dealer check it out next time.

#9 ·
I have heard a little clunking also.
I talked to the dealer.
There isnt a TSb or recall. BUt they said there are replacement bushings fo rthe rear sway bar. PLus my sway bar moved an inch to the right on the brackets. (but bolts were tight).
They pffered to throw the car up and fix the bushings. But i was in a hurry just to get oil done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.