Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started to notice a faint clicking - maybe chattering - noise coming from the front of my car - mostly right side but sometimes driver side as well. I only hear it once I get going down the road and it doesn't seem dependent on whether I am turning or whether I am going over bumps. I hear it best when I am not on the freeway but going at a decent speed down a major road.

It sounds pretty close to the clicking sound my glove box is making (which I need to fix) and I was actually convinced that the sound went mostly away when I opened the glove box door. It is also very cold out right now in Michigan, but I am worried that it is related to the install I did last week on my Eibach Pro-Kit. I have put about 250 miles on my 3 since that install. I also have 18k total miles on my 3.

Also, as I posted in a different thread, I placed the clear rubber tubing on the Eibach springs about in the middle of the spring on install, as I was told that tubing doesn't do much. Perhaps I should have placed that tubing at the end of coil where it makes contact with the strut assembly? Would that mistake cause the noise? I just can't believe that tubing would last long and not get worn out like that, though. Seems like the rubbing would wear right through it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO, to place it at the end, where the spring sits in the spring seat, would make no sense as the spring never comes out of the spring seat as it always has SOME load on it. Even if your jumping the dirt mound through the middle of downtown Hazard County.

I would put them in the middle, where the coils are closest and in spots where there is movement. There would (er, should) be no movement between the spring seat and the spring itself.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So perhaps the noise I am hearing has nothing to do with the clear tubing's placement. The tubing is in the middle right now. And just to be clear the tubing only comes on the front springs, right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
As you said:

[quote author=wolverine_man link=topic=138727.msg2989759#msg2989759 date=1236863977]
I only hear it once I get going down the road and it doesn't seem dependent on whether I am turning or whether I am going over bumps. I hear it best when I am not on the freeway but going at a decent speed down a major road.

[/quote]

If there is no heavy load on the springs (going over bumps) there shouldn't be movement in the springs. At least not enough where the spring coils would touch one another.

What is the speed of the noise's intervals?

I seriously don't think plastic tubing is going to make enough noise for you to hear when you're cruising.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear it when I am driving in general. I just think it's harder to hear at highway speeds because of the road noise. Perhaps I should check the tightness of the bolts and such, though everything was torque wrenched to specification. I just started hearing this noise last night. Really doesn't seem apparent until the car gets going.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does this illustrate where the tubing should be placed, near the bottom?

Of course my clicking noise might be from something else instead.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just called Eibach and they said that the tubing is on the fronts and it needs to be slid to the very bottom edge of the coil so that it is sandwiched between the spring and the lower strut assembly cup. Is that where everyone else's tubing is? I thought it should actually be up a tad higher than that.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i just left my desk, went outside, got down and looked at the springs on my front. I THINK I found what might be the problem. My passenger side bottom spring end is not touching the end of the steel perch cup thing (whatever it is called) there is about a pinky finger's width gap. The driver side bottom spring edge meets the cup, though. I guess the passenger side spring is not seated properly? Perhaps this might explain why I kind felt that the left side (properly seated, I think) feels/looks just a tiny bit lower than right side?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts