Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several people with this problem and I've experienced and solved it myself, so hopefully this will be helpful to some others someday. When it happened to me, I had a tough time finding somebody with a good solution - so hopefully having a post dedicated to it will make the solution easier to track down.

After about 1,500 miles on my manual transmission, I started getting a clicking noise every time I lifted off the gas pedal. It was like two or three sort of plastic sounding clicks - not loud enough to worry me, but not quiet enough to ignore. Being a manual, you lift off the gas pedal every time you shift, so after a few days this got very old, very fast.

It wasn't immediately obvious where the noise was coming from - possibly near the pedals or somewhere in that region. I took the car to the dealership, they had it for a couple hours and said they couldn't find anything and had no interest in digging deeper, since annoying noises aren't covered under the warranty . With that, I took it into my own hands to find the problem. After some long forum searching, I found somebody had located the problem, with successful reports of others being able to fix it.

The problem is in the shift cables - which I believe would mean it only happens for manual transmission cars. The cables aren't fully secured where they pass through the firewall, and when they tense up or relax, they hit something in that area. With the post in hand I took it into the dealership. They were confident that wasn't the problem, but said they would check. I picked the car up a few hours later, and not so surprisingly, they now agreed that it was the shift cables and said they had secured them properly. Needless to say, the problem was gone and has been fine for two years ever since.

So, if you don't have the problem, you probably don't care. If you do, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
so would it be just for manual cars, i have an autmatic, idk if its the same noise as your.but when i start up my car, and drive out of my garage, about 5-10mph, there is this slight sound, like its shifting, or like a click,but its only after i start the car and drive, when i come to a complete stop, and drive again, its not there..im taking my car to mazda on friday, so idk if these guys can figure it out

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
The sound you are hearing is probably the ABS cycling sound. Most/all ABS equipped cars briefly cycle the ABS on startup when you first engage the brakes when moving (or maybe it isn't upon engaging them, but when first moving). This is a diagnostic test to ensure that the ABS is working.

Tends to sound like a quick quite click sound.
-Matt

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Not sure about the mazda, but it could be a relay - my friends audi clicks every time he touches the gas (at least at certain temperatures)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts