Mazda3 Forums banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Just kinda quick, I'm still very very rusty. Nah, you're setup has miles on mine now (both literally and figuratively). Yes the coilovers will stay, they are however 4 year old dampers with ~75k rough miles on them. I'm also using 2+ year old, half worn, 340 treadwear tires that I had never raced with before on inadequately narrow, heavy wheels (actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting...maybe it was the cooler weather, we'll see when it gets hot). Moreover, I didn't use my camber or usual alignment tricks. Hence my expectation in not being able to out run you with 3 passengers!

At the next event I will be back on the MS coilover kit springs (400/290), stock top hats (no camber), no intake, and no header.

Won't be at FedEx this week. I had so much fun with CDC that it will probably take a co-drive to get me to an SCCA event this year:winker:! I do plan on being at Waldorf for CDC on May 9th tho.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well if you wanna run at WDCR all you gotta do is ask :)

You must have been driving much better than you think if you were on 340 treadwear tires! That's impressive!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
sorry to see a de-mod, but hopefully your parts live a long life on another competitor's ride! ;)
Shoot with the parts you're getting you won't be my competition anymore. You'll be up at the pointy end while I'm huffin' and puffin' to beat a stock Yaris!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Well if you wanna run at WDCR all you gotta do is ask :)
Sweet!!!

You must have been driving much better than you think if you were on 340 treadwear tires! That's impressive!
Thanks but only impressive cuz they hit their optimal temperature after back to back runs in 62 degree weather. They were probably equally as fast as any half worn ZIIs or R-S3s in the same conditions. Best case scenario in my favor I think, things will be different once it warms up.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
WDCR SCCA Autox #2 – FedEx Field – Apr. 26, 2015

This event and the last have reminded me why I love this sport. I’ve had an absolute ball this year. Already can’t wait for the next event!

Weather –
Beautiful day when the sun was out. Low 60s and sunny during my runs.

Course –
Good technical course that required some thought to navigate. Several places required extreme restraint and others required extreme bravery (my favorite). There were also about 3 teaser gates trying to lore the attention of a less perceptive navigator. Even in my slow car I found a couple spots that needed a lift and/or a hard backside attack to get setup for the next element. It was pretty long too with a blazing, downhill finish to the lights…bet it was more fun in an actual fast car! A really well done course.

Setup –
Lots of parts are missing since the last race. Camber plates, 350# front springs, 550# rear springs, rear perches, rear tie brace, intake, and shifter were all gone. Back to the MS coilover kit with the 400# front springs with stock top hats and 290# rear springs with the MS perches. Stock intake box back in minus the silencer. Stock shifter is back in which is driving me crazy flopping all over the place. I went back to 2012 and found my last notes on this setup. I pulled the ride height up ½” in the front and ¾” in the rear. Rear toe checked at a shade under 0. Front toe at a shade over 0. Front shocks went up 2 clicks in compression. Rear shocks went back to full stiff compression and 3/4 stiff damping. Tire pressures at 39f/37r hot on the Conti DWs. The biggest difference from 2012 being that I didn’t have the big Hotchkis front sway bar installed, stock bar on duty. The car still leans uncomfortably for my liking, but I’m still convinced at this point that it’s the faster way to go. The car felt amazing and did everything I wanted when I wanted. It allowed me to drive as hard as I dared…and I did.

Pic -

Video – fastest run at 69.131 but +2, would’ve been good for 2nd in STF
Very close to a perfect run, minus the cones of course. Apparently I hit two but I can’t hear in the video where that second one was, oh well. The one I bashed and grunted at was a simple looking ahead too soon mistake. It was the corner that I had been concentrating on since the first run and was trying really hard to nail it and just misjudged where I saw the cone a split second before. I then went just a hair too hot into the next sweeper and hit ABS, but only a small mistake cuz I stayed pretty much on my line. This run was nearly 8 tenths faster than my clean 2nd run (69.910).

Results –
3/6 in STF
50/211 in PAX (933) – 2nd run
37th PAX (944) – if clean on my fastest run

Next event might be WDCR at FedEx again on May 17th. Then CDC on June 6th. And debating a trip to Philly region SCCA on June 20th.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
CDC - Waldorf, MD - June 6, 2015

Attended another good little event put on by the Capital Driving Club in Waldorf, Maryland. Driving in these events in such a blast.

Weather-
Hot and sunny. Not the greatest weather for my Conti DW tires, they like the cooler Spring weather for sure.

Course-
Nice flow to the course. Had a nice start into a pivot cone. Made a pretty quick section to a pretty quick slalom. Then a hard pinching set of turns to an uphill finish.

Setup-
Same as last events. Continental DW tires set at 40f/45r. The heat was too much for the tires. I felt like I was qualifying because the tires were their best on the first run and just gave up more and more throughout next the couple runs. Even though I felt like I drove the course better on later runs, the tires were slower.

Video-

Results-
44/104 overall raw

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
SCCA - Wilmington Champ Tour - Aug 15-16, 2015

Everything about this event was awesome except for my driving performance, which I will get to last. I scored a sweet co-drive spot in Dan's (dgross7) awesome, competitive 2008 Mazda3 hatch...check out his build thread HERE! The 7.5 hour drive over was great as I trekked across the always beautiful Appalachian Mountain range and into the plains of the Mid-West. Wasn't much to see in Ohio, but it was much better scenery than the city(DC). I drove out my 3 and it performed flawlessly over and back.

The event-
Really amazing venue. Pretty much an autocrosser's paradise. Big, wide open, flat, vast concrete pad. Day 1's course was very long, 76+ seconds for the fastest STF driver. Day 2's course was about 11 seconds slower at 65+ seconds.

The car-
Dan has built a very capable machine and he's gone with some of the best parts available. It's still a work in progress but it is definitely fast. We decided last minute to try the 15" wheel setup for this event(15x7.5 Slipstreams with 205/50/15 Bridgestone RE-71R tires). We didn't get any practice in on Friday so we pulled into grid Saturday morning on stickers. The only single problem with the car was my driving.

The driver-
I had never driven Dan's car before, I had never raced on concrete before, and I've never driven on the 15" setup. Added to that I've only done 7 total events in the last 2 years with greatly varying setups and some really small lots. I wasn't really prepared for success. Still I went in with confidence that I would no doubt be competitive with the car I was going to drive.

The racing-
Day 1 - Got off to a good start on the first run and was red flagged about a quarter of the way in. Got to see the rest of the course at 70% speed and I was feeling extremely confident at this point. Went out to do my rerun and came in with a pretty slow time (2 seconds off lead). I made some mistakes (like missing the 2-3 shift and coasting the last 100ft.) and the car was a bit tight, but I knew that I was capable of putting in good times. Second run was a little faster til I got behind the slalom and the front tires gave up, DNF'd for missing the last slalom gate. I knew I had to run clean and fast on the last run. Had a terrible start and missed the 1-2 shift. I got the clean part, but was still crazy slow on the stop watch...now 2.4s off lead...frustrating! We talked about making setup changes before day 2 to loosen it up significantly, but decided to keep the same setup as day 1 since Dan was having success with it.
Day 2 - I jumped in for my first run and a new message appeared on the dash "DSC OFF". Wait, this car has traction control? Apparently yes and apparently I ran day 1 with it on...errr. First run strategy was get a clean on in the books. Again did the clean part but again super slow (again 2ish seconds slower than lead). At least now I could really go all out on the remaining runs. Second run I bogged the start badly but felt like a quick run til I saw the time. I just couldn't believe how slow the times were...not competitive at all!! By the third run I was just angry. Missed the 1-2 shift off the start and just over drove the car everywhere. Somehow managed to go slightly faster, but still 1.5 seconds slower than leader.

Pictures and videos to come.

Results-
Day 1 - 3/5 in STF
Day 2 - 3/5 in STF
Combined - 3/5 in STF; 191/357 in PAX (913)

Worst finish at an event ever for me. Way slower than my previous worst (of 934 pax score). Lost by 3.9 seconds in class. Never ever have I been more than 10 seconds behind in pax, even at a 2 day event. 3.9s in class and 10s overall, that is unfathomable!!!

So what happened? Ha, still asking myself that too. New tires, rusty skills, taking bad lines, bad slaloms, too much brake and/or too much coasting, bad course walk, car too neutral, too much confidence, too much anger? No idea, I'm assuming a combination of them all.

Don't get me wrong though I had fun and got to meet some new people (especially Adam) and see some old people and spend the weekend with a cool guy like Dan. I would do it again without hesitation.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts