2013 SCCA Dixie Match Tour - 5th Place
2014 SCCA Atlanta Match Tour - 2nd Place
2015 SCCA Wilmington Champ Tour - 3rd Place

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bio

I started autocrossing in March 2010 and fell in love with it the first time out. I was driving my Honda S2000 at the time. When I got this car it was a huge transition going to a FWD top heavy economy car. I decided on Mazda because I knew I wanted to autocross but still have maximum practicality. I knew it would have sporty DNA that I could build on, and in my biased opinion it is the best looking hatchback out there.

I have run in 4 events now with my 3. The first 3 were with my local club, Clemson Sports Car Club, that has started running in Clemson University's commuter lots again after some years away. I am a Clemson alumnus and we love orange...which is probably a big reason why I love autocrossing so much. I call my car the stealth wagon because someone told me that I had the quietest car at the event. The last event was with my regional SCCA club at Carowinds Amusement Park near Charlotte, NC.

My results this year for 2010:

CSCC events (NASA-X rules):
10-9-10 2/6 in F class and 22/81 raw times ***the car that finished 1st wasn't supposed to be in my class
10-30-10 1/7 in F class and 11/50 raw times
11-13-10 1/9 in F class and 14/63 raw times

SCCA CCR event:
12-4-10 1/4 in FSP and 63/120 ***the first 2 out of 3 groups had a dry track...ofcourse I was in the 3rd group running in a 36 degree rain storm

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: ClemsonMZ3's SCCA SOLO AutoX Street Touring titanium stealth wagon

[quote author=tigermack link=topic=183642.msg3905665#msg3905665 date=1294867609]
Your car is in SM-F.
[/quote]

I am legal to run ST when I take out the 15mm spacers and the mid-chassis brace. I run those mods when I do local club events that use NASA-X rules. Is that what you are referring to?

Edit - I also have a second set of 5mm spacers that I slide on to replace the 15s.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ClemsonSCC - Autox #4 - Clemson C-1 Lot

The autox season comes early in SC. This past weekend was a beautiful one, close to 70 and clear. I signed up to run in the afternoon group since it was still in the low 40s in the morning. I had a co-driver with me, it was his first time at an autocross and I let him drive. We had some friends that stopped by and they jumped in the backseat for my first run, I had 4 passengers...the car was a little heavy. We all had a great time and now they want to pickup autoxing too.

For this event I wanted to concentrate on rear camber and tire pressures. I dialed down the camber to 1*. The car definitely felt more neutral than when I had 2.5*, however, I couldn't really tell if I could carry more or less speed in the long, decreasing radius turn. It still felt planted in the slalom. I learned something very critical about tire pressures this weekend, make sure your tire gauge is accurate. The gauge that I had been using for a year now was reading around 6 lbs. too high...meaning I thought I had 39 lbs. but I really had 33. I found this out when I chalked the tires and saw that I was taking the paint off my letters on the sidewall. So I ordered a Longacre gauge as soon as I got home. When I got to borrow an accurate gauge, I bumped the pressures up. The car definitely liked the higher pressures better...it was a lot more lively.

I didn't feel like I got all I could get out of the course, but I still managed to pull off a half second victory. My co-driver was 2.7 seconds behind me...not too bad for a newbee. We had 5 runs and I only ran one clean run, which was obviously my fastest, with a passenger. Pics:

The Results:
1/5 in F Class
14/56 overall

It looks like I need to attend one more event to solidify my season championship in F class...probably in April. Right now I'm looking forward to SCCA Solo. The first event is at ZMax dragway in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CCR SCCA - Autox #1 - ZMax Dragway

I ran in my 2nd SCCA event in my 3 last weekend with CCR. We had another beautiful, sunny, warm day to autox. The event was held at ZMax dragway beside Lowes Motor Speedway in Concord, NC. The course was large and fast. The slow sections were very technical and required control of braking and accelerating, too fast or slow on either hurt.

I ran much higher pressures than I normally do as well as sticking with 1* rear camber. Both of which caused great rotation, however, it was a little too much. I almost spun once, but hanging the tail out where I did made me take a better line through the next section. So, the second time I tried a little harder and spun it completely around...could have had something to do with building pressure in the tires from my previous run. I felt like I was throwing the car too much at this event, so I want to work on smoothness at the next event to get ready for another fast course at Michelin Proving Grounds in April.

I finished 4/4 in ST and 71/160 PAX, but I was very pleased with my result. I was 0.076 from my personal target time of 1:16, and half a second from third. Considering I still have the original shocks and springs (w/ 77k miles) and no powertrain upgrades, I thought it was a good run. The first 2 cars were 2.5 RSs and 3rd was a BMW e30 all modded to the max in class (coilovers, camber/castor plates, intake, exhaust, brakes, tunes, deleted components...none of which I have). Realistically, I don't expect to be competitive with the RSs, but I do think I can shave a 1-2 seconds off with a few mods...starting with coilovers. Maybe I will pull the trigger on those soon. Anyway a pic:

·
Registered
256 Posts

Very cool - I like your car. I'm in Clemson too and I just signed up for the April 2 autocross. I've never autocrossed before but I've watched a few of CSCC's events and they seem to be run very well and look like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

^^Thanks Spencer. Look forward to meeting you this weekend. The CSCC events are very, very well run and you will have a blast. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spring Spruce Up

A couple weekends ago I did some Spring maintenance/ upgrading for this years autocross season. It’s been 20k miles since buying the car (currently at 78k), and I have no idea the maintenance habits of the previous 2 owners. So, I decided to just replace nearly everything just to start fresh. Anyway, I did an oil and filter change, coolant flush, trans fluid change, replaced rear studs with extended studs and 15mm spacers, front brake pad change, and front brake rotor change. I did not have time to get to the brake lines, brake fluid, or front studs. I’m still contemplating the Mazda5 rear brake swap so I didn’t do the rear pads either. Big thanks to everyone who did how to’s on this forum, it helped me a ton! One of these days I will do a write up on how to install extended studs on the rear hubs...I found it fairly involved. Here’s a pic of my drilled and slotted R1concepts front rotors.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ClemsonSCC - Final Round (Autox #6) - Clemson C-1 Lot

Last weekend was the finale for CSCC’s 2010-2011 autocross season. I knew going in that I just need to grab a couple points to win the points race. The course proved to be a good break in for my new R1 rotors and HPS pads as there was a long straight with a downhill braking zone. They felt great, but I’m still getting used to the ABS kicking in so often now. I felt like I ran smooth, which was my goal. I managed to beat out a well-prepped FSP Focus ZX3 on RS3 street tires for first in class. And, I took home the season trophy, which is an engraved piston out of a V12 Jag XJS.

Result:
1/9 in F class
23/85 raw overall

Next up: Michelin Proving Grounds Blake Lake Shootout between South Carolina Region and Central Carolina Region. It was my first ever SCCA event last year.

·
Registered
120 Posts

That's a pretty bad ass looking trophy. Congrats on the pick-up and look forward to seeing you at the black lake.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks Bill. I'm looking forward to the Black Lake. It has been my favorite event I've done so far. It is an awesome privilege to be able to race there...I mean how many other regions get the opprotunity to run on a surface like the Black Lake! I hope the rain holds off too. See you there.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Black Lake is a large, wide open patch of asphalt somewhere around 400 x 1400 ft. that is at a Michelin test complex. It is very flat and smooth. The asphalt has an extremely high coefficent of friction. And, there are absolutely no obstacles anywhere...no poles, cracks, curbs, drains, surface variations, nothing...clean slate for an infinite number of course designs.

*edit

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CCR SCCA - Autox #3 - Michelin Proving Grounds

The Black Lake event was a blast, even though I only went to one day. There were severe storms that went through the area on the first day and most of the state was under tornado watches. I decided it would be best to sit out. The second day had great weather. I really liked the course that seemed like I was always turning. I feel it really exposed and rewarded a fast driver instead of a fast car. The ST battle was very close with the first 6 drivers all within a second of each other. I beat one of the 2.5 RSs that I lost to by 2.5 seconds last event, so I felt great about that. I sent in my results to Mazdaspeed Motorsports and now have a sponsor. I promptly ordered my coilover system that I've been waiting on for a while now. Looking forward to getting those in and giving it a try on the cone littered road course at Carolina Motorsports Park.

Results:
5/7 in ST
89/220 PAX

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mazdaspeed Accessories Upgrade

Couple weekends ago I recieved a heavy box of goodies as a birthday present to myself. It was a Mazdaspeed Motorsports coilover system. Triple adjustable (height, damping, compression) with 400 lb/in (7.25 kg/mm) front springs and 290 lb/in (5.25 kg/mm) rear springs. The instructions were very clear and install was a breeze. Myself and two buddies had it done in 4.5 hours. I still have some things to adjust though (final height, rear camber, front endlinks, messing with damping and compression).

Front strut comparison (top hat on OEM strut removed...duh):

Here's a before and after pic.
Before:

After:

First driving impressions were great. There was an immediate difference even pulling out of the driveway. The steering response is greatly improved and there is very little dive when on the brakes...especially at slow speeds. The car is so composed in turns now without the body lean, that I can take an on-ramp 10 mph faster without even feeling like I'm going faster. I haven't pushed it yet to see what it does at the limits (or even where the limits are now), but I will find out next week when I hit the track.

Only one minor downfall, the new front springs are quite stiff compared to the old stockers, 400 lb versus 150 lb respectively. The kit was designed for the MS3, therefore, it is a little more harsh to the MZ3 that is missing the 100+ lbs of nose weight. This was something I knew going in could be an issue. I decided after the first trip to work that the strut tower brace had to go. Once I removed that, the ride quality was a lot less jarring. I fully intend to use the strut brace when autocrossing though, just not daily driving.

Still have a few things to do before the Carolina Motorsports Park event next week including rolling rear fendors, getting familiar with harness, install extended studs on front hubs, change out brake lines and fluid, and take a little test drive.

·
Registered
662 Posts

looks good....and I am sure it handles way better.. :nice:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

[quote author=Nir link=topic=183642.msg4031610#msg4031610 date=1306210708]
looks good....and I am sure it handles way better.. :nice:
[/quote]

Thanks. The handling is night and day. Feels even better when on my harder Star Spec tires compared to my everyday flimsy Falken 512s. The biggest improvement is the responsiveness.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CCR/SCR SCCA - Memorial Monster Weekend (Autox #4) - Carolina Motorsports Park

On Memorial Day Central Carolina Region had their Monster Weekend autocross at Carolina Motorsports Park. This event was on a road course. The cone setup was fast. It was the first time I've hit the limiter in 2nd gear (~57 mph). The car handled great, actually better than I expected. I set the coilovers at the Mazdaspeed recommendations (height, damping, and compression). I didn't change the compression or damping settings. I also didn't touch the rear camber (1.5*). I did put the front strut bar back on. I also ran my normal pressures (39f, 42r).

I anticipated a lot more understeer with 1.5* front camber, strut bar installed, 29mm front bar, and 400lb front springs, however, it was very neutral. The car was great in the transitions and had instantaneous weight transfer. Very little dive on the brakes too. Overall, the car felt amazing. I still have to get used to the new feeling of the car...meaning being able to feel the limits.

The tires got very hot, especially on my re-run that I did immediately after my third run. And, I broke a shock mount bolt on the passenger's side rear which will be a major pain to fix.

It was a great day and I scored my first ST class win. I jumped the 2.5RS and the E30 BMW. Actually beat the second place car by over a second. I figure I gained around 1.75 seconds. I will be able to tell better at a normal autocross event.

Results:
1/7 in ST
19/124 in PAX

1 - 20 of 130 Posts