Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, I dont have a 3, I just bought my wife a protege 5 white, (pwnage) white is really nice btw......anyways back to the question. My other car is a toyota 4runner, and the rims have this caked on sh!t from dirt and road tar, any suggestions about how to clean that crap off.??

Thanks

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Try to avoid washing your rims/brakes after a spirited drive, if your brakes are still hot you might warp them a little by spraying them down...take your car to a DIY car wash and pressure wash the shit out of your rims :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I found that Simple Green was excellent for removing brake dust. I used it on my Taurus SHO and 02 Protege5 with very good success. It works really well on the caked on stuff. Just spray it on and let it sit for a minute or so then start whiping it off with a soft cloth.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey cowtown

hey cowtown,

Well it isn't so much as brake dust, it is that caked on crap. I will give simple green a try.....I think they sell that at local grocery stores. BTW cowtown, just got my wife a protege 5 white......in bout 6 mths hopfully I can then get my mz3.

·
Registered
90 Posts
for rims, that spray on/hose off stuff is really good.

i usually use Meguiars Hot Rims (clear pink/purple bottle) .. unfortunately, i find that spray on/hose off never really works all that great.. im usually going in with a [tooth] brush to get ALL the brake dust/dirt out..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Try bug and tar remover, but make sure it's safe for clearcoat. Follow it up with a good wash and wax.

·
Banned
868 Posts
nerotiX said:

i usually use Meguiars Hot Rims (clear pink/purple bottle) .. unfortunately, i find that spray on/hose off never really works all that great.. im usually going in with a [tooth] brush to get ALL the brake dust/dirt out..
Is it just me, or did you just contradict yourself?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Levitron said:
nerotiX said:

Is it just me, or did you just contradict yourself?
LOL :lol: I was thinking the same thing.....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I washed my rims tonite, and found that there are some black dots on the rims. So hard to clean . Does toothbruth with the tar remover mentioned above remove these black dots?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Glad someone else asked about this. I've owned the 3 only during the winter weather, so she's gotten a lot of crap on the rims very quickly. The rims are turning dark grey to black in some areas. Its pretty sad.

I'll try some of that hot rims stuff.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I remember a few years back after I borrowed my parents 1995 Toyota 4xRunner for a 2 week camping trip, I wanted to clean the vehicle before giving it back to them.

I found and bougt this really foul smelling stuff that was made by Armor All. It's odor was so strong, it burned your nasal passages and stung your eyes. You had to be careful to it as to not get it on you anywhere sensitive.

Man, did that stuff work! It got rid of 2 weeks and 800 miles worth of road crud, mud, forest refuse, and gawd knows what! And all it took was 5 minutes of waiting after spraying the stuff on! I haven't tried another Armor All tire cleaning product in years, but it literally stripped away 99% of the crap and left me with nice shiny rims again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can try a QUALITY wheel cleaner that is made for the wheel surface type. I like simple green, undiluted in desperate situations. Bleech white has also worked (found this out by accident). The best thing is to clean them often. I see too many people wash their cars, and just rinse the wheels. They may look clean, but the gunk is building up (brake dust,road grime, salt...), and in some cases can eat through the finish over time making the surface porous. This makes it even easier for crap to stick to it. I like to wax my wheels when I wax the car. They shine nice and seem to resist buildup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nasty stuff on rims

I haven't tried this on my new mazda 3 yet, but have on all my older vehicles. I used some diesel on a rag and let it set a few min. then wiped it off with a clean rag. It melts away the road tar and most anything else. I have also used this on the paint on my older cars, and it never has stripped any of the paint off. I do small spots at a time, never the whole car at once. Leaves it shiny like a new wax job. :D And seems to repel rain after this is done to it. Use your own judgement.

·
Registered
213 Posts
cleaning the rims

I used to have a 1993 Dakota truck, and the rims on that truck sucked! They would attract dirt, grime, and break dust like no other. Anywho, I tried pretty much everything under the sun, and nothing seemed to work. Even Simple Green and other comparable products did not remove everything. Then I looked underneath my kitchen sink...

I then tried a little Lime Away and that took off everything! Just apply a little with a damp cloth and then scrub! Wash and rinse again, and the piece of crap rims looked brand new. I recommend this solution for extreme cases though...

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you have alot of stuff on that wheels that won't seem to come off, there's this stuff that you can find at like Auto Zone or other such stores and it's called something like Wheel Acid. It works great, but don't breath that stuff in or you'll be gagging. Also, don't let it touch the paint and use gloves because it's not very human friendly either. To get that shine back on your rims get Mag Wheel cleaner or something similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On my previous car with factory clear-coated aluminum rims I made sure I waxed the rims with a wax called Collinite. I waxed the rims the day I brought the car home from the dealer. I made sure I waxed the rims every couple of months. They cleaned really easy with car wash soap...NOT DISH SOAP!!! 3 yrs. later they looked absolutely perfect. I already did the rims once on my new Mazda3....hopefully they'll stay just as nice.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
duckracer said:
On my previous car with factory clear-coated aluminum rims I made sure I waxed the rims with a wax called Collinite. I waxed the rims the day I brought the car home from the dealer. I made sure I waxed the rims every couple of months. They cleaned really easy with car wash soap...NOT DISH SOAP!!! 3 yrs. later they looked absolutely perfect. I already did the rims once on my new Mazda3....hopefully they'll stay just as nice.
Can you find Collinite at the local auto parts store, or is it a mail order type product?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a baby bottle scrubber for my rims. I find my back rims really need a lot of extra care with all the brake dust they give off! It works really well in the tight spots!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts