Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone recommend a specific type of cleaner for the rims? I hear Eagle-One brand is OK. I have friends who say that soap and water is the best bet since the mag cleaners can be overly harsh.

Anyone experience Focus-like brake dust yet?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well, I guess depends on the type of rims. If you have shiny chrome rims, you're gonna want to polish them up a little bit more than regular alloys.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
dinu01 said:
The Mazda6 folks should know :)
true, true.

Actually, the brake dust buffs right off when dry. I don't know if it helps, but I periodically wax my rims with regular car wax. Help protect em a little I guess is my thinking. I think I use some Meguiar's spray stuff when I wash though. But truthfully the dust comes right off, nothing really is needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brake dust problems

I had a Turbo VW Bug, which has some of the worse brake dust ever! Anyway, I learned this trick from a detailing shop. Take some turtle wax or some other heavy wax, and polish your rims with it. Do a few coats. Brake dust doesn't stick to it well. Keep on top of the wax, and you will only need to rinse off the brake dust with a power washer.

Otherwise, I use Castrol SuperClean. It works wonders! It's VERY strong, so don't go spraying it everywhere, but it gets brake dust and tar off, like nothing I have ever used.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
should you use any protectants or like wat csweeney said put wax on ure rims?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
i don't think you have to. i just read somewhere that it can help protect against the harsh break dust.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
should you use any protectants or like wat csweeney said put wax on ure rims?
I was told from a wheel dealer that wax helps protect the wheels just like it would help your car paint. It also helps with the brake dust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if it helps, but I periodically wax my rims with regular car wax.
This doesn't help one bit because the rims heat up and melt the wax right off. The wax melts at very low temps and if anything caused the brake dust to stick to the rim even worse. You can use Never Dull on your rims and it will leave a slight film to help in cleaning your rims next time. It's hard on your hands but your rims will look great. Try it you'll see what I mean!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do the tire rims get significantly hotter than the hood of your car when it is 100F and your car sits in the sun all day?[/quote]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Any name brand cleaner designed for your wheel type will work fine. I've found dilluted Simple Green does well though. There's no acids, it's non-toxic, and bio degradeable too. It costs about $8 for a gallon, which when diluted is a ton o' cleaner :D .Wax will help the cleaning process too. The factory wheels are painted and clearcoated like the body. Don't wash or wax the rest of your car and see how it looks in a year. It's the best comparison I can come up with. I know my car needs wax when it's getting harder to remove things like bird crap. Waxing will make your wheels surface more slick, making it easier to wash off. Not to mention they look much nicer when they're waxed up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts