Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone actually done this? whats the best way to get at it, its kind of tight...........

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
take the filter off.

get a k&n filter cleaning kit and follow directions

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=the415 link=topic=69236.msg1200691#msg1200691 date=1171213077]
take the filter off.

get a k&n filter cleaning kit and follow directions
[/quote]

uh thanks for the reply.. but i think its pretty un-intuitive.

1. Mazdapeed is a dryflow filter and I was asking about how people manage to take it off in a tight space...anyone who actually has this filter and cleaned in before feel free to post a reply

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Pretty much all CAIs are going to be about the same in this regard, so any thread on removing a CAI filter will tell you what you need.

That said, I usually clean it when I'm doing an oil change and my front end is on jack stands. Crank the steering wheel all the way to the left, then just remove enough of the splash guard fasteners in the wheel well, and below the bumper, that you can get in there and remove the filter.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
[quote author=jdanielsg link=topic=69236.msg1200733#msg1200733 date=1171214992]
uh thanks for the reply.. but i think its pretty un-intuitive.

1. Mazdapeed is a dryflow filter and I was asking about how people manage to take it off in a tight space...anyone who actually has this filter and cleaned in before feel free to post a reply
[/quote]

ok so get the aem cleaning kit.

and there is no dash in unintuitive

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
don't you just clean a dryflow in much the same manner as any filter? just run water through the filter element, letting it flow outwards and then let dry. no oiling needed for the dryflow, obviously.

if you were able to put the filter on, you should be able to take it off.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=biped link=topic=69236.msg1200779#msg1200779 date=1171217649]
don't you just clean a dryflow in much the same manner as any filter? just run water through the filter element, letting it flow outwards and then let dry. no oiling needed for the dryflow, obviously.

if you were able to put the filter on, you should be able to take it off.
[/quote]

i am not going to start a war or words.... did i say anywhere I put it in? LOL

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
remove 3 screws from the wheel well, remove 2 from the bottom splash screen, and it gives you easy access to the filter for removal.

from aem:
Q: How often should I clean the DRYFLOW filter?
A: Frequency of cleaning for your DRYFLOW filter will depend on the conditions in which you drive. As a rule, we recommend that you clean your filter a minimum of every 10,000 miles, inspect it during oil changes and regular service intervals, and clean it if it appears to be reaching its dust holding capacity. If you live in particularly arid, dusty climates or venture off road, we recommend cleaning the filter every 3-5,000 miles. Keep in mind that a clean air filter can increase fuel economy as much as 10% compared to a dirty air filter, and service time for the DRYFLOW filter is only approximately one hour, so you can accomplish it in about the time it takes to change your oil. CLICK HERE for a cleaning demonstration video!

Q: How long does it take to clean the DRYFLOW filter?
A: The DRYFLOW filter media is hydrophobic, which is a fancy way of saying it does not soak up water. Under normal conditions, cleaning will take about an hour. We recommend that you follow the instructions that are included in our intake systems and DRYFLOW filter replacement filter kits. Unlike oiled filters that must be cleaned, then dried, then oiled, then wait for the oil to wick to the material and finally fill in any “gaps” where the oil did not wick, with the DRYFLOW you simply bucket soak it, bucket rinse, shake it out and it will be dry in approximately 30 minutes!

Q: Is it necessary to oil my DRYFLOW filter?
A: NO! The DRYFLOW filter never requires filter oil to trap dirt, and filters at a higher efficiency than oiled filters without the use of oil. Since the media is synthetic, oil will not wick to the material and will travel up your inlet, which could damage vehicle sensors and void your AEM and vehicle warranty.

Q: Will frequent cleanings affect the DRYFLOW filters longevity?
A: No. Unlike cotton-gauze elements that will deteriorate with repeated cleaning cycles, the DRYFLOW’s polyester synthetic media can endure repeated cleanings without degrading the media’s filtration capabilities. If you clean and maintain it properly it will last for the life of your vehicle.

Q: What can I do if I am on the trail and need to clean my DRYFLOW air filter?
A: DRYFLOW filters for all of our intake systems exceed the flow requirements of the engine for extended service and we highly recommend cleaning them per the instructions in our Filter Cleaning System (Part number 21-110). If you feel you must clean the filter and do not have a cleaning system available to you, we suggest hitting it several times to knock the dirt off of he filter pleats and servicing your filter per AEM specifications as soon as possible. If it is absolutely necessary, use fresh water to rinse mud or heavy dirt off of the element from the inside out to ensure the dirt does not wind up inside the filter, and clean the filter per AEM specifications as soon as possible.

Q: Can I use a different type of cleaning solution on my DRYFLOW filter?
A: To ensure optimum performance and filtering capabilities, ONLY use AEM’s Filter Cleaning Solution (part number 21-110). Although the DRYFLOW is incredibly durable, AEM cannot guarantee whether certain solutions will negatively affect the performance of the filter. We do not recommend using solvents or cleaning solutions from other brands, which may void your AEM warranty.

demonstration video: http://aempower.com/files/dryflow/filtercleaning.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts