Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the mazdapseed CAI I was wondering if I need to clean the MAF and how?

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Re: CAI cleaning MAF etc

I clean mine at every oil change. Just pick up a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner from your local auto parts store (it's an aerosol can). Pull the MAF sensor out, place it on an absorbent towel or cloth, and thoroughly spray it from all angles, allowing the solvents to soak off onto the towel. By no means should you try to rub it with the cloth or anything. Just spray until it's dripping, let dry, repeat from different angles.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=68412.msg1181521#msg1181521 date=1170368757]
I clean mine at every oil change. Just pick up a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner from your local auto parts store (it's an aerosol can). Pull the MAF sensor out, place it on an absorbent towel or cloth, and thoroughly spray it from all angles, allowing the solvents to soak off onto the towel. By no means should you try to rub it with the cloth or anything. Just spray until it's dripping, let dry, repeat from different angles.
[/quote]

Oh they sell these sort of thing eh, thanks for the tip. i read a thread about Qtips n alcohol lucky i didnt try that

·
Registered
6,470 Posts

yeah, I'd recommend against anything that involves contact with the sensor. If you want to clean it a bit more thoroughly, you can soak it in a ziplock back filled with rubbing alcohol and swish it around gently. Just remember that thing is pretty delicate and not cheap ;)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

They do not seem to sell that here, if i want it i have to get it online, but will electrical contact cleaner work? something that is plastic safe

·
Registered
6,470 Posts

I would think so. As long as it's some kind of quick-drying solvent you should be good. Something plastic-safe is also key, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For Canadians who are reading. the CRC MAF cleaner is marketed as CRC Sensor Kleen here in Canada and its sold at NAPA or UAP stores. I just bought one for $6.60 CAD + tax.

www.crc-canada.ca

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=Gizzmo_jr link=topic=68412.msg1251935#msg1251935 date=1173204827]
Thanks for the heads up, what about AutoParts Extra, Princess Auto or CTire?
[/quote]

No idea, i sent an email to CRC and they only told me UAP and NAPA. You can probably call and check.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I am going to recommend something else. In my case I have a non-oiled filter so your procedure might be different because of this (needing to remove oil). I simply use a non-wetted Q-tip and lightly rub it over the MAF sensor. It cleans any collected dust off it pretty well. I have only had to do this once and it was because I ended up getting a CEL after about 25,000 miles of having a Simota intake on. I popped the MAF out and lo and behold it was dust covered, wiped it off and no more CEL.
-Matt

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apparently the actual sensor is inside are tiny sensitive wires you are not supposed to tuch them to avoid fucking them up.

I have the Mazdaspeed CAI so its the non oiled version. I have an Injen hydrashield so that keeps out most of the dust etc I am probably going to clean it when I am around 37,000, I have it put it at around 17,000 km. Supposed to change it every 20,000 miles... but whatever around 37,000 to 40,000km should be about right. See if its dirty at all, then if not i know the hydrashield is keeping most stuff out then I'll extend the next cycle

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
The MAF is basically a looped wire running through a small bit of resin. It determines the air flow by detecting the change in resistance of the wires based on how much cooling occurs from the air stream (it does not actually count the O2). So long as you aren't screwing with it very lightly touching the MAF sensor itself is not going to damage anything.
-Matt

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Our MAF consists of a thermistor and a platinum hot wire, and then an electronic control circuit.

The thing visible on the outisde is the power transistor...

I do not suggest shoving a Q-tip into the black tube to touch the TINY platinum hot wire or thermistor. There are two of them visible if you shine a flash light INSIDE the MAF, they look identical. You should spray them with a MAF cleaner like the CRC brand one mentioned above. (This is what I use too and I spray from both sides)

The thermistor measures temperature of air. The hot wire is maintained at a constant temperature in relation to the thermistor by the electronic control circuit.

Any increase in air flow causes the hot wire to lose heat and the electronic circuit compensates by adding more current. The ECC then measures the current flow and puts out a voltage signal in proportion to the current flow.

You can actually supply the MAF with power and use a volt meter to theck the signal wire and blowing air through the sensor.

It would be interesting to TEST our MAF and see how fast the signal degrades after adding a CAI or SRI vs stock.. though a lot of work to keep testing it. hehe

I also re-oil the rubber O-ring and wipe clean before assembling the MAF since the MAF spray will dry the O-ring.

·
Registered
508 Posts
what type of oil would you put on the rubber

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Don't use any oil that is prone to attack the rubber O-ring.

Lithium, Silicone Grease and air filter oil is safe.

I'm afraid to use too much so I just "coat" the O-ring and then wipe it down with whatever I can find in my garage that I feel will be safe on the rubber.

I think Dino oil should be ok. I wouldn't use synthetic oil or any type of armorall products though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
thanks for the info, I have K&N filter oil and was thinking of using that but wasnt sure.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
No one said anything about shoving a Q-tip in there, I said very lightly brush it off. The wire is thicker then a light bulb element and you would be lightly touching the resin covered end, not the wiring itself.
-Matt

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Yeah, I'd use a Q-tip on that part. But inside deep in the black tube is where the sensor is, and it looks VERY fragile so I wouldn't want anyone to touch it.

BTW, I apologize that this is a very crude illustation... it's done in paint and is based from memory. :)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
btw, whats this rubber o-ring everyones talking about..i cant find it on my maf..
got some pictures? how u take the o-ring off?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
brake cleaner to clean the maf. Its been used since the begginning of mafs time

1 - 20 of 23 Posts