Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Saw that too - mind you, that lady is a horrible writer and only lists specs. What about driving, steering feel, the nice features,etc???

The Civic/Corolla shouldn't sell as much as they do anyway - once you drive a PRO/3, these 2 are not much fun.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Corolla sells a lot because they are comfortable and reliable. And now in the last couple of years, have more respectable performance.

My present Corolla is 6 years old and has never had a repair beyond routine maintenance. I owned my previous Corolla for 13 years and had only 1 repair beyond standard maintenance. That's why a lot of people buy Corollas. 19 years with only 1 unscheduled repair trip.

That said, after 19 years in two Corollas (I'm sure my current one would last for at least another 6-8 years, it looks and runs like its a new car), I'm considering the Mz3 for more driving fun. Or a Mz6.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have read much worse....worse written that is, reviews of the 3.

I had to laugh at the Corolla and Civic....a local Mazda dealership bought one of each for customers to directly compare against the 3.
Must be pretty confident. :wink:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
What I dont understand.. some people are pumped about the upcoming Corolla XRS; which I believe will steal things from the Matrix XRS.

Whats sad is... according to the lastest mags out there, the 3 outperforms the XRS in almost all categories. Thats sad.. the XRS boasts 20 more hp than the 3.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
After Toyota left the WRC, they built sucky cars (except for the Celica).

Imagine some guy toasting you with his turbo (or even non-turbo) AWD or RWD Corolla. But no. Not Toyota. Why sell to car enthusiasts when you can sell to families? Sales sales sales!!

I'll admit I'm impressed by Toyota's decision to make the Corolla XRS. But it still ain't the same Toyota as my 1985... *sigh*

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
85 turbo fx baby!

Oh wait.... japan only :/

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Corolla's do have better fuel economy, but lower performance, I think the two cars have their own pros and cons. Someone who's not concerned about performance should get a Corolla.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yea, ditch that Celica and bring back the Supra!

·
Registered
396 Posts
i didn't mind the celica. i really loved the supra...
now that you mention it, i haven't noticed that many celica's in toronto anymore. i guess they really aren't selling

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Toyota is dropping the Celica from it's line due to poor sales. The same reason why the Honda Prelude bit the dust... Toyota is expected to use the Scion line to promote it's "sportier" cars. They're going to bring a new model to the States based on the Japanese Toyota Caldina which is actually a 5 door hatch similar to the Mazda3 (but not quite as attractive). The replacement doesn't make sense at all.

It's really a shame. Although I didn't enjoy the Celica as much as some other coupes (Prelude, Integra), anyone can easily say it's Toyota's most accessible fun-to-drive car (how many of you remember that the MR-S is still on sale?). Now it's become another victim of the SUV tidal wave... :(

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I forgot where I read that news story, I think it was in "Automobile" magazine. Toyota will continue selling the Celica in Japan (just like the Supra).

From what I gather on other forums I frequent, the new Scion will be a coupe possibly with AWD. I'd say the hatch looks pretty good for the US market, A LOT like the Mz3 but a bit longer. Here are some links:

Exterior
Interior 1
Interior 2

If this hatch were actually introduced into the US Market it'd be good competiion for the Mz3. Kinda scary...

·
Registered
50 Posts
vaBooM said:
Whats sad is... according to the lastest mags out there, the 3 outperforms the XRS in almost all categories. Thats sad.. the XRS boasts 20 more hp than the 3.
Which magazines are those? (I don't know)
As far as Celicas, I think that they are a bit too expensive for what you get. The underpinnings of the Celica are Corolla based, same as the Matrix and they both are cheaper than the Celica, so I don't see the need to charge so much for them. That is what is killing the Celica, price, not desire to have.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Toyota prices are through the roof, despite moving their main manufacturing for NA to Canada.

Their quality is pretty okay, but they're raising prices more on their REPUTATION than on the ACTUAL quality of the cars, in my opinion.
Hence, Celica is a poor seller because it's an awesome car that's worth the same as a WRX (or just about).

If Toyota lowers their prices, I'll reconsider. But for now, Toyota's are good cars still but just priced way too high.

The Caldina lineup will be a good addition for Toyota. THAT lineup should boost sales (And ABOUT TIME too... where was the Caldina lineup in 1998?? or 2000??). But asking for an AWD Calinda... chances are that you'll be paying BMW prices for it (figuratively speaking... I hope...)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts