Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
His dealer estimate seems extremely high.
I know that cutting into the electrical system is costly, as well as the HVAC system...still.

And why is the dealer estimate from NY when the work was done in IL? I'm guessing he moved? But dealing with this through email or the internet is not the best way to go.
And then Honda says the car is unsafe to drive, but he has put 15000 miles on it! Wow...

Circuit City messed up, but if I were the store manager I'd be having another Honda dealer estimate being done. Especially when it is well over half the cost of the car.

Well, good luck to him getting his car up and running.

Good lesson not to take your car and have hacks at CC or Best Buy working on your car.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=107334.msg2196002#msg2196002 date=1206990684]
I know that cutting into the electrical system is costly, as well as the HVAC system...still.

And why is the dealer estimate from NY when the work was done in IL? I'm guessing he moved? But dealing with this through email or the internet is not the best way to go.
And then Honda says the car is unsafe to drive, but he has put 15000 miles on it! Wow...

Circuit City messed up, but if I were the store manager I'd be having another Honda dealer estimate being done. Especially when it is well over half the cost of the car.

Good lesson not to take your car and have hacks at CC or Best Buy working on your car.
[/quote]

he moved, and hes been battling it for awhile, he just not got the dealer estimate i guess

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
My engine wiring harness, when an inline fuse blew, cost ~$550 from the dealership. Covered under warranty, thankfully.

A proper shop would have called him up and told him the part wouldn't fit and offer an alternate model, or put his stuff back together and let him go on his way. They cut into his HVAC box. :eek:

[quote author=foompla link=topic=107334.msg2197094#msg2197094 date=1207014704]
44 hours labor is fucking RAPE!!!!
[/quote]

44 hours would be an estimate. You figure you have two or three guys working on the car for two to three days. Depending on how the wiring harness is you are looking at having to rewire 90% of the interior, remove the dash, seats, steering wheel replace all the broken HVAC parts, and then put it all together and test it. It'll probably have 2-3 hours of testing. Making sure the lights work, the heat and A/C, his radio, etc...

If it were fast and easy, I'd have my '78 done by now. ;)

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Installs performed by CC installers are definitely hit and miss. They installed my four door speakers and I was satisfied with their work. Some CC installers are from small "mom and pop" install shops and have 5+ years of experience. Seems to be rare though...

A

·
0 Posts
I had my car alarm installed by circuit city. If they did that to my car, I'd be tearing a few heads apart.

·
Registered
154 Posts
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=107334.msg2196002#msg2196002 date=1206990684]

[/quote]

Actually when you are dealing with a customer service issue email is almost always the best way to go. That way you have a copy of the promises/problems to foreward to people higher up the corporate ladder/ your lawyer. Its easy for someone to promise you something over the phone and then not deliver because it turns into a he said/he said situation. If you read the blog of the guy that helps people out with travel issues with airlines/hotels/rental cars, etc that CNN posts every once and a while he always always tells the person to email (rather than call) people at corporate.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Circuit city did a really good job on the alarm / remote start install on a previous car of mine. But the guy that did the work was really awesome, he showed me his own car, an SVT Focus with probably 10-20k worth of stereo stuff in it. Just from watching him install the stuff in my car, I learned a lot about the proper way of wiring in aftermarket stuff. And since then, I do all my own work.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
[quote author=smrtypants44 link=topic=107334.msg2200361#msg2200361 date=1207110908]

[/quote]

Actually when you are dealing with a customer service issue email is almost always the best way to go. That way you have a copy of the promises/problems to foreward to people higher up the corporate ladder/ your lawyer. Its easy for someone to promise you something over the phone and then not deliver because it turns into a he said/he said situation. If you read the blog of the guy that helps people out with travel issues with airlines/hotels/rental cars, etc that CNN posts every once and a while he always always tells the person to email (rather than call) people at corporate.
[/quote]

I guess that can be true...especially in this situation. I was taking my experience with working and other situations, and while it's harder to have a recording of what the conversation is, a face-to-face meeting is always perfereable and much more productive.

Oops, I mean preferable.

·
Registered
154 Posts
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=107334.msg2200908#msg2200908 date=1207144763]

I guess that can be true...especially in this situation. I was taking my experience with working and other situations, and while it's harder to have a recording of what the conversation is, a face-to-face meeting is always perfereable and much more productive.

Oops, I mean preferable.
[/quote]

I agree that face-to-face meetings are preferable, however in this situation i doubt the even the store manager or district manager would be able to authorize a $12k payout to an individual, and i doubt youd be able to organize a personal meeting with anyone at corporate. Personally, i would have gotten a good lawyer the second the car went to my dealership, and im pretty sure that there would be a couple lining up at my door to take the case. But its times like this unfortunately where circuit city will try to make the customer lost in the corporate bureaucracy, hopefully he works things out because this is a nightmare for everyone involved. I would also be worried about the installs these techs did before/after this situation, who are driving around in a potentially hazardous situation!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
[quote author=ADaughen link=topic=107334.msg2197130#msg2197130 date=1207015451]
My engine wiring harness, when an inline fuse blew, cost ~$550 from the dealership. Covered under warranty, thankfully.

A proper shop would have called him up and told him the part wouldn't fit and offer an alternate model, or put his stuff back together and let him go on his way. They cut into his HVAC box. :eek:

[quote author=foompla link=topic=107334.msg2197094#msg2197094 date=1207014704]
44 hours labor is fucking RAPE!!!!
[/quote]

44 hours would be an estimate. You figure you have two or three guys working on the car for two to three days. Depending on how the wiring harness is you are looking at having to rewire 90% of the interior, remove the dash, seats, steering wheel replace all the broken HVAC parts, and then put it all together and test it. It'll probably have 2-3 hours of testing. Making sure the lights work, the heat and A/C, his radio, etc...

If it were fast and easy, I'd have my '78 done by now. ;)
[/quote]

im a master technician with toyota. its a one man job that takes a day and a half to do (12 hours!) 40 hours is unheard of! I get paid 4.5 hours under warrantee to remove and install a dash in an 08 camry. 36 hours is the equivilant of me coming into work 4 extra days!!!

trubo: if the technician was smart, he wouldve cut and spliced the new connector onto the fog light and gotten paid on the 22 hours of work for 15 minutes of labor ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts