Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There

I have a mazda 3 1.6 Dynamic 2007 model. I work in construction and we have orange safety lights. The problem is i nedd to get out of the car alot and dont want to leave my keys in the car but i need the light working. So basically i need to rewire my cigarette lighter to have pemanent power or i must add a new 12v socket with constant power... Whicever one is easiest.

I cant cut the lights wire becuase its a multifinction LED Light so i need to have a socket.

Can anyone help me to achieve this with out too much trouble and danger of short circuting something.

Thanks in advance Guys

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
You have a couple of options. I personally hate having wires run all over the place, and back when I had lights in my car (rotater up front, strobe in the back) I hard wired them and put switches in. What I would do is wire a new DC power plug into a constant 12v (should be able to find one in the PJB, or if not just run it to the battery..... fused of course). Then run the wire from your LED light behind the dash panels and plug it into the new plug. Not sure what country you're in, but in the US you can get a DC power splitter (one male plug, two female plugs) that's connected by wires from Walmart for about $3. You can just cut off one of the plugs and wire it in to whatever you want.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
go to radioshack. the sell cigarette lighter sockets that you can wire in and mount. they look really clean, just wire it directly to the battery, and put a fuse inline.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
[quote author=icspots link=topic=136104.msg2931423#msg2931423 date=1234446344]
You have a couple of options. I personally hate having wires run all over the place, and back when I had lights in my car (rotater up front, strobe in the back) I hard wired them and put switches in. What I would do is wire a new DC power plug into a constant 12v (should be able to find one in the PJB, or if not just run it to the battery..... fused of course). Then run the wire from your LED light behind the dash panels and plug it into the new plug. Not sure what country you're in, but in the US you can get a DC power splitter (one male plug, two female plugs) that's connected by wires from Walmart for about $3. You can just cut off one of the plugs and wire it in to whatever you want.
[/quote]

Wouldn't you be able to connect some T-taps to the wires leading into the factory 12v socket in the dash and connect them to a constant-on source or the battery? I'm not good with electrical work, but the idea is that when the car is shut off and the power is turned off, then the socket would get power from the wire taps.

Like this (Paint FTW):

1 - 4 of 4 Posts