Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 3i so the top part is silver, i wanna paint in black, i dont think ive seen it around the forums. should i bleach or sand? and if sand what typee...?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how would i go about doin that? ima newbb... lol

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
If the chrome garnish on your grille is anything like mine (except mine is a UK grille for a hatch), the chrome just pops off. It has two prongs that stick through the top of the grille. Pop the hood and see if you can push the chrome off from below.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Should be like the '07. There's a screw in the back and then it just unclips. I've replaced mine with a body colored one from the dealer.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Alec is right. The new open mouth is the only true option for i model owners. :p But painting the upper portion of the OEM grill works too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Painting is a great option if you don't like the open-mouth grills.

I had mine done by the body shop with my lip and side skirts; the top chrome portion pops off and I believe they sanded off the chrome before priming it (otherwise even the primer doesn't stick well).

·
Registered
311 Posts
correct you need to sand the fuck out of that thing. but it's been done, i've done it myself and painted it silver to make an open mouth for the 07. i'll be selling this pretty soon too so keep an eye out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts