Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my sub for Christmas. Nothing special here just wanted a little more bass to the stereo.

This is my 12in Blaupunkt sub in a kit box. The amp is a Diesel 440w.
Here is a snap of the sub bolted down then the trunk/rear hatch.

I hate wires and such so I put the amp under the cargo tray. My plans this weekend are to run dual CPU fans to cool the amp. I am planning on hiding those under the cargo tray cover.

I ran the power wire from the battery through the firewall using the hole available for the hood latch. Then after running along the side panels I drilled up through the cargo tray to connect it to the amp. Same with the ground and A/V jacks. I used the factory sub (Bose system) to get a signal for the LOC for the A/V jacks. The remote wire is connected to the stereo then to the amp with a on/off switch near the lower dash on the drivers side. Same with the main power wire to the amp. I have seen many amps fail and catch fire so I wanted some protection just in case. Lastly as you can see in the first picture I purchased a small class b and c fire extinguisher just in case for the stereo, engine, or even another motorist is distress.

In conclusion I know this isn't the best stuff to, lets say, enter a bass competition but it really does hit hard. I have the amp turned most of the way down cause the bass just drowns out the rest of the music. The best part is that the amp and sub are pretty closely matched with power in mind so distortion is not an issue even cranked up.

Hope you like my set-up!

~Saint

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I think Blaupunkt is pretty under-rated when it comes to budget car audio stuff. I had their speakers and a pair of their subs in my old thunderbird, they definately did get loud and sounded pretty good for the price that was paid. Congrats on the setup man.

Is the grill buit onto the basket of the sub? Looks pretty cool + its functional

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=65615.msg1126760#msg1126760 date=1167540570]
looks good. clean, dosent take up much trunk space. How did you secure the box down?
[/quote]

I would like to know as well if you don't mind? Pics would be sweet as well.
I want to bolt and lock it down to make it harder to steal.
However need to only take a few mins to remove when I need the space in my hatch.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments!

WetsuitxNinja: Yes the grill came with the sub. Its metal so it is pretty strong. I'm happy that it came with it cause it does do a really good job of protecting the sub.

edrection and bossboy: The sub came with two mounting brackets in the shape of "U"s. Through those "U"s you run a half inch wide strap that is provided with the sub. The strap is removable so you can remove the sub in about a min. or two. It itself does a really good job of keeping the sub in place. I had my doubts in the beginning so I tested it out on a few twisties. Sub didn't move an inch. If you look closely in the first picture you can see it in the lower right hand side of the sub.

~Saint

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright guys here is the close up daytime pictures.

Here is the mounting bracket that the strap goes through. It's metal as well as the front grill.

Here is a kinda far back view of the strap and sub.

Here is a far back day time shot of the sub and "hidden" amp. Notice how well the box fits the first cargo tray. Oh and yes that is my front plate.....in the back cargo tray haha.

I figured I would post up a picture of the amp wiring as well. I'm very proud of it. Usually I rush through things so this is the first car that I have taken my time and hidden everything. It's also the first time for me to put all the backups for safety.

I swear this setup is pretty damn good! For the amp, sub, all wiring, and LOC it ran exactly $219.85. You really can't beat that with a stick for the sound and quality you get. Also I am really pleased with how little space it takes up in the trunk. It's kinda funny how well this sub fits in the hatch. Almost like it was made for it. Here is the last shot of how well the back of the sub fits to the back seats. Also take note of the hight as well. I think I really lucked out here cause I had no idea it would fit this nice. I'll host it up later since imageshack crapped out on me.

~Saint

1 - 9 of 9 Posts