Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Multimedia section...but decided that it was better fitted for over here.

Well, as the title states, Christmas came early for me this year...June 1st to be exact.

Here's why...

Mazdaspeed Baby!!! :klavergreg:

Okay, I know your wondering so here's the rundown:

Mazdaspeed CAI
Mazdaspeed Exhaust
Mazdaspeed Short Shifter
Mazdaspeed Sport Spring Kit W/Camber Links
Mazdaspeed Front Right and Left Struts
Mazdapseed Rear Shocks
Mazdaspeed Stabilizer Bar Kit

Basically ever Mazdaspeed part made for the 3 except for the license plate frame (already have the Mazda3forums.com one) and the carbon fiber mirror cover (which I can't use due to the auto-dimming mirror being too big).

I've already installed the CAI and Short Shifter and let me tell you! The CAI makes the car sound CRAZY! I got scared the first time I WOT it :lol: and the Short Shifter feels SSSOOO damn good! I can't wait to install the rest of the parts! That'll be in due time though, I want to see each parts advantage before moving on to the others.

But now a quick ? as you can see in my profile I live in NJ where the weather can be "iffy" and I'm kind of worried about my CAI. It's raining today (not really hard) but supposed to be bad tommorow and I know my way to work floods but I have an alternate route that doesn't flood that I can take.

My ? is how worried should I be about the hydrolocking issue? Anyone with the MS CAI in NJ ever have any problems? Anyone have any tips on driving in the rain and snow with a CAI to be safe? I've heard don't go any higher than half throttle, NEVER go WOT, avoid standing water that looks deep, don't really worry about puddles that splash when you hit them unless they're the ones that slow your car down drastically, don't worry about little splashes, etc. Are these all true and anyone have anymore tips for rain/snow driving with a CAI?

P.S. Thanks to all that helped me decide on my short shifter over in this thread: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=77430.0

· Registered
10,290 Posts
Re: Christmas in June!

either you'll hydrolock, or you won't. nothing you do will really help you since it seems to be such a random process with these cars. obviously avoid standing water.

i'd have laid off the mazdaspeed struts but everything else seems like a solid purchase. some dealer in nj must be having steak tonight.

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well biped I got the struts because I didn't want my stock struts to die on me and then have to redo all the suspension work. The suspension is all going to be done at once to avoid garage time use and alignment machine use as much as possible.

Oh and no dealer is having any steak on me...only Mazda is :lol:

· Registered
9,634 Posts

should have gave a sponsor a steak dinner.... plus you might have saved

CAI? i run through puddles all the time
I dont know your weather that well but here it rains 9 months out of the year

Now some MS wheels and you will be the MScar :lol:

· Registered
613 Posts

[quote author=biped link=topic=79398.msg1457825#msg1457825 date=1180918503]
you have to be joking, there's even some on youtube and other file sites.
[/quote]

I'm not joking. I have found one video on youtube, and that's it. I'm not all that familiar with any other file sharing websites.

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

[quote author=biped link=topic=79398.msg1457799#msg1457799 date=1180917680]
that's cool, just saying i'd have purchased different struts.
[/quote]

Like what?

[quote author=mike1123 link=topic=79398.msg1457815#msg1457815 date=1180918129]
Wow, I'm jealous. Like extremely jealous. Be weary of the welds on the Mazdaspeed exhaust; I've read that they aren't the best.

Can you make a vid of your CAI while driving? I can't find any good clips.
[/quote]

Yeah I'm aware of the welds, I'll be keeping my eye on them. As for the video here's one by a forum member (colorblindtyler) that shows off the MS short shifter but you can hear the MS CAI in the background. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dJMGtAukbk

I'll probably make one when the weather clears up.

[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=79398.msg1457830#msg1457830 date=1180918629]

[/quote]

Well I saved a lot because I got it through my father who works for Mazda. As for my weather, it's iffy, we have all four seasons so its rain/snow sometimes. Sometimes it drizzles and once in a blue moon we'll get an insane storm. As for the MS wheels, they're a bit $$$ :lol: I'm thinking of some RX-8 rims and then possibly powdercoating them...I'll see

· Registered
613 Posts

[quote author=Mr. Speed link=topic=79398.msg1457863#msg1457863 date=1180920546]
[quote author=biped link=topic=79398.msg1457799#msg1457799 date=1180917680]
that's cool, just saying i'd have purchased different struts.
[/quote]

Like what?

[quote author=mike1123 link=topic=79398.msg1457815#msg1457815 date=1180918129]
Wow, I'm jealous. Like extremely jealous. Be weary of the welds on the Mazdaspeed exhaust; I've read that they aren't the best.

Can you make a vid of your CAI while driving? I can't find any good clips.
[/quote]

Yeah I'm aware of the welds, I'll be keeping my eye on them. As for the video here's one by a forum member (colorblindtyler) that shows off the MS short shifter but you can hear the MS CAI in the background. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dJMGtAukbk

I'll probably make one when the weather clears up.

[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=79398.msg1457830#msg1457830 date=1180918629]

[/quote]

Well I saved a lot because I got it through my father who works for Mazda. As for my weather, it's iffy, we have all four seasons so its rain/snow sometimes. Sometimes it drizzles and once in a blue moon we'll get an insane storm. As for the MS wheels, they're a bit $$$ :lol: I'm thinking of some RX-8 rims and then possibly powdercoating them...I'll see
[/quote]

Thanks, haha, that's the one I saw, but if that's how it sounds, I'm all for it! Is $250 a reasonable price to pay for the CAI; it comes with one of those outerwear hydroshield things as well as the heat/splash shield, right?

Btw, enjoy your MSMobile :p

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

[quote author=biped link=topic=79398.msg1457875#msg1457875 date=1180920937]
strut-wise, i'd have gone koni fsd, especially with mazdaspeed springs.
[/quote]

Sounds like a great combo too biped, but personally I feel MS springs/struts belong together :lol:

[quote author=mike1123 link=topic=79398.msg1457920#msg1457920 date=1180922053]
Thanks, haha, that's the one I saw, but if that's how it sounds, I'm all for it! Is $250 a reasonable price to pay for the CAI; it comes with one of those outerwear hydroshield things as well as the heat/splash shield, right?

Btw, enjoy your MSMobile :p
[/quote]

That's the way mine sounds...CRAZY & MEAN! :lol: But I'll try and get a video of mine even though it will probably sound the same. I think $250 is a very reasonable price for it, and it comes with a metal shield that protects the top and sides of the filter but it doesn't bring one of those water repellent covers that go over the filter.

Pic courtesy of keisukeMamoru86:

And I hope to enjoy my MSMobile as much as possible! :klavergreg:

· Registered
10,617 Posts

wow.

could've saved a lot of money by getting aftermarket brands.

but at least you have warranty stuff available i spose.

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

[quote author=small town king link=topic=79398.msg1458182#msg1458182 date=1180927553]
wow.

could've saved a lot of money by getting aftermarket brands.

but at least you have warranty stuff available i spose.
[/quote]

Well like I stated above I saved a really good chunk of money on these and it seemed fitting to me to use Mazdaspeed parts on a Mazda

· Registered
10,290 Posts

he would not have saved that much, mazdaspeed stuff is usually pretty inexpensive. the struts go for less than koni or bilstein, the exhaust is around the price of a magnaflow. the cai is reasonable given its extras (dryflow, shield, mazdaspeed cachet). the front and rear sways are reasonably priced, in line with others.

the only real rip-off are the springs and camber links, but if he got a good price then more power to him.

he should have paid upwards of $2000, but i'm guessing he got it for less with tax.

· Registered
84 Posts

All he wants to do is show off some stuff that he bought. But everyone has to be so critical, he made the decision to buy what he did for a reason its his car enough said.
Looks great hope you have fun with the install and are happy with the results. I'm jealous too btw. 8)

· Registered
13,776 Posts

Aww congrats! Did you pay for it all or was some or all gifts?

And by going MazdaSpeed you don't void your warranty!

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

[quote author=biped link=topic=79398.msg1458213#msg1458213 date=1180927950]
he would not have saved that much, mazdaspeed stuff is usually pretty inexpensive. the struts go for less than koni or bilstein, the exhaust is around the price of a magnaflow. the cai is reasonable given its extras (dryflow, shield, mazdaspeed cachet). the front and rear sways are reasonably priced, in line with others.

the only real rip-off are the springs and camber links, but if he got a good price then more power to him.

he should have paid upwards of $2000, but i'm guessing he got it for less with tax.
[/quote]

Yeah I didn't pay anywhere near that, and to me it just made sense to go Mazdaspeed

[quote author=Sentinel88 link=topic=79398.msg1458224#msg1458224 date=1180928101]
All he wants to do is show off some stuff that he bought. But everyone has to be so critical, he made the decision to buy what he did for a reason its his car enough said.
Looks great hope you have fun with the install and are happy with the results. I'm jealous too btw. 8)
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliments and support Sentinel88 :goodjob:

[quote author=Roxy link=topic=79398.msg1458228#msg1458228 date=1180928206]

[/quote]

Payed all by me! :shock: And yeah Mazdaspeed allows me to keep my warranty! :yay:

· Registered
10,290 Posts

[quote author=Sentinel88 link=topic=79398.msg1458224#msg1458224 date=1180928101]
[/quote]

but at the same time this did not necessarily merit another post in the powertrain section just because he's happy about some boxes.

as such, he's open to whatever we wanna say.

[quote author=Roxy link=topic=79398.msg1458228#msg1458228 date=1180928206]

[/quote]

by going anything you don't void your warrenty. there's no more warrenty on your car due to mazdaspeed parts then there is on magnaflow, koni or twm. you just have less of a chance of a dealer giving you a hard time, which they shouldn't anyway. if your mazdaspeed springs break and cause the nose of your car hit the ground, causing the car to flip over and ignite in a pile of flame guess what? mazda ain't buying you a new car.

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well biped like I stated in the first post I was going to put this in the Multimedia section but felt this was more appropriate. MODS please feel free to move this if needed.

As for the warranty discussion, your right about it but I wouldn't want to mess with that magnusson moss act...too much trouble

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.