Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently, my check engine light has been coming on. I'm driving the 2004 2.3L. I took it to AutoZone and they told me it's coding two things:

P2187 (twice)
Definition: System Too Lean at Idle Bank 1
Explanation: Failed MAF
Probable Causes:
1) Low Fuel Pressure
2) Vacuum leak on engine
3) Failed HO2S

and then:

P0455
Definition: EVAP large leak detected
Explanation: The ECM has detected a large leak in the EVAP system during a system monitor test
Probable Causes:
1) Defective, loose or missing fuel cap (already checked, that's not it)
2) EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected
3) Purge or vent solenoid defective
4) Vacuum leak at engine

I'm not really sure what to do from here. So I bring this to you all. Is there anyone who can help?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Is it still under warranty?

Edit: Didnt realize its a 2004... Im guessing not right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is your purdge solenoid. It is stuck open. causing a lean at idle and the evap code for the large leak. you can usually just tap it and it will shut. But this is a very common problem for the 3's and the 6's and well anything with the purge solenoid that is why they changed them on the 08.5

·
Registered
22 Posts
One other thing that could cause the p2187 is your pcv hose which is under the intake but with having the p0455 which is a Gross leak really keys me to the purge solenoid

·
Registered
1 Posts
so what ended up being the issue for you? i have the same problem on my car but i just replaced the solenoid with a brand new one so thats def not it

Posted by: brownac5786
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:26:07 pm »

Insert Quote

So recently, my check engine light has been coming on. I'm driving the 2004 2.3L. I took it to AutoZone and they told me it's coding two things:

P2187 (twice)
Definition: System Too Lean at Idle Bank 1
Explanation: Failed MAF
Probable Causes:
1) Low Fuel Pressure
2) Vacuum leak on engine
3) Failed HO2S

and then:

P0455
Definition: EVAP large leak detected
Explanation: The ECM has detected a large leak in the EVAP system during a system monitor test
Probable Causes:
1) Defective, loose or missing fuel cap (already checked, that's not it)
2) EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected
3) Purge or vent solenoid defective
4) Vacuum leak at engine

I'm not really sure what to do from here. So I bring this to you all. Is there anyone who can help?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts