Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
Can anyone advise on how to change the trip computer display units from litres to gallons? For instance the consumption currently displays litres/100mile but I want it to read mpg.
I have trawled through the Mazda workshop manual & the Mazda TSB’s with no luck.
The car is a 2004 Mazda 3 1.6 TSI hatch auto.

Searching this forum bought up two old posts but the replies were not forthcoming :-
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=61392.0
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=50802.0

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am pretty sure that it can not be changed. Does your speedo read in KMs? I think the display is programmed through the firmware depending upon if it is a US spec or Canada/Euro spec car.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Well you can change you ambiant temp read out from C to F (not going to bother butchering the spelling on those). Maybe when you do that it will change the trip computer as well. I don't remember how its done but a search should help ya.

~Saint

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The speedo is in mph.
As far as I am aware, judging by other posts, changing the temp display units only does that, nothing else.
In case it helps here is some more info. The original audio unit had no trip computer & only a single cd player, part number bp4l 66 9s0a, 14789910. I bought another audio unit from an English breakers yard. This had a trip computer & a 6 cd stack unit, part number bp4m 66 9s0a, 14789900. Everything works ok Its just that being a luddite L/100 mile means nothing to me where as mpg says it all

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think the guys over in the "just unlocked my trip computer" thread would be intrested. The fact that you put a trip computer equiped stereo in a non equiped 3 and made it work. Especially in an 04. Kinda proves that its the stereo that has the computer and not the car. I could have sworn that the trip computer didn't work in 04/05 models though becuase of a wiring difference. Guess I was wrong.

~Saint

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It makes sense when you think about it. All the required info is circulating on the CAN bus, it is just waiting to be picked of by the required recipient (the audio unit). If the input/output interface of the required unit is enabled then it will display it. This is why some people can get the trip computer working on audio units without the "info" button - a combination of button pushing must be enabling the interface.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The head unit only can activate the trip and toggle the different modes but its definitely controlled by the computer under the hood.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
There must be some differences here between the US and Euro spec 3's. In the US the wiring harness is different from '06 on in that the LCD has a separate plug/harness vs. the integrated plug in the older ones. Perhaps all of the Euro ones have the double harnesses and that's why you can get it to work in your '04 model.

·
Registered
782 Posts
[quote author=left_chita link=topic=69901.msg1216703#msg1216703 date=1171906619]
Everything works ok Its just that being a luddite L/100 mile means nothing to me where as mpg says it all
[/quote]

I read on one of the Mazda6 forums that this was bugging a bunch of the Brits, but no one has been able to figure out how to switch to mpg yet for the overseas vehicles.

·
Registered
976 Posts
This is exciting to know that you actually got a trip computer to work on an 04. I was just back at the mazda few hours ago and the guy said it's impossible to get it to work by changing the 6-cd changer. At least now there is some hope. I guess nothing is impossible, it just all depends on how much time & money you want to put into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts