Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody changed the stock antenna yet? I've looked around on eBay and there's quite a few available out there. Anodized aluminum. Is it just a simple twist off? What about reception? Does reception change when the antenna is changed?

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I think vaBoom changed it to a stubby antenna.
Yep, it's just a simple twist off, and I heard most antennas out there fits onto it.
Not sure about the reception......

·
Registered
396 Posts
i'd love to replace the antenna. i'd rather have an internal with crappier reception, than a roof antenna.
i hope one of you guys find something better than the stock antenna and don't forget to post it here.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am so tempted to get one from eBay. Only 10$ US... not sure if it is worth it. I'll wait until my car gets delivered. ETA is sometime in the new year. The wait is killing me. :cry:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yea I have a mast that came off my Jetta. Its the typical 5mm set screw (although the antenna i bought comes with little adapters that will make it fit 6mm or Audis) and can be found everywhere.

You could use the TT one.. but you will need a 5mm dye to make the set screw smaller. Or a tap to port your hole on your current antenna.

As for reception: mine kicks ass! When it was on my Jetta, my stock antenna showed 3 to 4 bars of reception on my Pioneer.. with my stubby it showed max, 6 :D

Pics here > My 3

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fobby_Monkey said:
that's one reason why i don't like it.. haha looks like an RC car... a 2.5 inch compare to a 10.75? ahah size matters.. =p
Did you check on eBay? I've seen many on sale, including color anodized ones. For 10$USD, it's not bad. But then again, you have to add shipping. I'm sure you can get one in the length/color you want without problem.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Oh btw... there was a test done on a few different antennas on the VW forums and they concluded that stubby anodized aluminum ones get the best reception.

Mine is an anodized black aluminum.

·
Registered
168 Posts
vaBooM said:
Yea I have a mast that came off my Jetta. Its the typical 5mm set screw (although the antenna i bought comes with little adapters that will make it fit 6mm or Audis) and can be found everywhere.

You could use the TT one.. but you will need a 5mm dye to make the set screw smaller. Or a tap to port your hole on your current antenna.

As for reception: mine kicks ass! When it was on my Jetta, my stock antenna showed 3 to 4 bars of reception on my Pioneer.. with my stubby it showed max, 6 :D

Pics here > My 3
vaBooM,

Where did you purchase yours from...a URL link??...please.

Spencer

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got mine off eBay for 16$ US plus shipping. It's a shorty 2.5" long one. If you're looking for one, just search for "shorty antenna". I can't wait to get it! :twisted:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Getting a shorty/stubby will definately be one of the appearance mods I make when I get my 3. It'd be nice if they had one that matched the Lava Orange color, but since thats not going to happen I'll just go with a black stubby.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I will get a shorty antenna as well, as the stock one is ungainly IMO. That will probably be the only "mod" except maybe tinting on my car. I like the classic stock look.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts