Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has this ever been done?

can someone point me in the right direction?

i really want to get a mazda3 but i really dont like red :roll: so much so that i want to change the default red lighting to blue or white...

thanks!

EDIT: Thread title :twisted:

·
Registered
267 Posts
They've done studies and that red color is the color that best works for night vision. Other colors will cause your pupils to shrink a little more and thus cause your night vision to suffer. Also, the red and blue go well together.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks d

i still dont like the red very much but at least now i can console myself with a reason ;)

cheers

·
Registered
481 Posts
ya u dont want blue dash lights... they aren't easy to look at... as cool as they look on Mk4 VWs they won't make the roll over to the Mk5 platform.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
the lettering on the dash is white, so if you crack open the panelling you can probably get to the LEDs that are red and replace them with some soldering skills.

The rings look to be tinted red, so they'd probably stay red while the text turns blue. How difficult would this all be will depend on your soldering skills as well as your comfort with taking things apart ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Power Lock Lighting

On the subject of interior lighting, are my power door lock controls supposed to be lit at night? They're not, but they have the exact same lettering and feel to them as all of the lit buttons (including on the steering wheel). If not, it's cool, but if they were, it would make it a little easier to find the power door lock button in the dark, although I'm sure I have to visit a dealer to get that fixed. Thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re: Power Lock Lighting

SBTanMan said:
On the subject of interior lighting, are my power door lock controls supposed to be lit at night? They're not, but they have the exact same lettering and feel to them as all of the lit buttons (including on the steering wheel). If not, it's cool, but if they were, it would make it a little easier to find the power door lock button in the dark, although I'm sure I have to visit a dealer to get that fixed. Thanks
nope, just the driver's window switch has the lite bumps in it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone for the replies

i think what im hearing is, yes anythings possible if you have the time/skill/money but i should probably leave it alone.

it wont stop me from buying the 3 though!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone have an idea if the blue ring can be added to the amber gauges?

Here in my country the MZ3 s dont come with the blue ring, just amber red lights. But the blue ring is so cool. I hope there is a way to add that blue ring to the gauges without changing the whole set.

By the way that knight rider effect :oops: around the volume button kicks ass.

·
Registered
481 Posts
pacer said:
Does anyone have an idea if the blue ring can be added to the amber gauges?

Here in my country the MZ3 s dont come with the blue ring, just amber red lights. But the blue ring is so cool. I hope there is a way to add that blue ring to the gauges without changing the whole set.

By the way that knight rider effect :oops: around the volume button kicks ass.[/quote

i would have to say no... u would have to swap the entire cluster not just the rings

·
Registered
75 Posts
I maybe wrong, but...

I believe the blue rings are some kind of UV reactive coating that is illuminated by UV LEDs mounted in recesses in the top of the gauge cluster. If looked at closely you can see a indented area in each of the gauge rings. This is where I believe the UV LED is located.

Can someone confirm this so I know that I am clear and not completely nuts?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Zoomin 3 said:
I maybe wrong, but...

I believe the blue rings are some kind of UV reactive coating that is illuminated by UV LEDs mounted in recesses in the top of the gauge cluster. If looked at closely you can see a indented area in each of the gauge rings. This is where I believe the UV LED is located.

Can someone confirm this so I know that I am clear and not completely nuts?
you are right about the LED's... but i don' think theres anything fancy going on here, simply silver painted rings around the gauges lit by a single blue LED in the top of each pod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts