Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you think its possible/easy to swap the gauges (rpm from the left to the middle and speed from the middle to the left) or are they in diff. sizes?

would give a much more sporty feeling to have the rpm in the middle.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i would agree...but the guages i think are pretty nice right now...but that would be a cool mod..=D!

·
Registered
563 Posts
A disadvantage of the gauges being on the left are if you're steering with your left hand and shifting right handed, your left arm blocks the RPM's when positioned on the top of the steering wheel. Would be nice to have them on the right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump!

I WANT ANSWERS!!!.....any tec-guys here????

:x

·
Registered
67 Posts
the guage clusters to the left and to the right are not perfeclty round they are cut out where the meet either side of the speedometer housing. My guess is that they are not finished where they dissapear under the speedo housing which would make a swap look kind of shady. you would have to by an extra guage and splice a piece in, but I think that would look pretty iffy as well.

M

·
0 Posts
A disadvantage of the gauges being on the left are if you're steering with your left hand and shifting right handed, your left arm blocks the RPM's when positioned on the top of the steering wheel. Would be nice to have them on the right.
Feel your pain!!

But we don't have that issue here in Australia, cos we drive on the right side.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
i was just thinking about if i could get the gauges changed to be like the ones on the rx8 (water temp and gas on the left, middle tach with numerical lcd speedometer, odo and oil temp on the right).

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Yes, they were posted elsewhere... I remember that...

However, does it really matter where the RPM gauge is? Can't you hear/feel how fast the car is going? Obviously you've never had to drive a vehicle that didn't have a gauge. :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
TellyDSP said:
why would you be driving with your left hand/arm at the very top of the steering wheel? 9 and 3 man!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Slalom said:
why would you be driving with your left hand/arm at the very top of the steering wheel? 9 and 3 man!!!
That's how I'm almost always drive. Why drive with two hands when you can drive with one? Plus if you're shifting you have more control at 12 o'clock with one hand than you do at 9 o'clock with one hand. At least it feels like you do.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I use my knees.... So I can see all of the gauges just fine. :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Jizoshula said:
Slalom said:
That's how I'm almost always drive. Why drive with two hands when you can drive with one? Plus if you're shifting you have more control at 12 o'clock with one hand than you do at 9 o'clock with one hand. At least it feels like you do.
it may 'feel' like you have more control... but you dont... take a driving school you will find out that holding the steering wheel at 12 is totally wrong...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Slalom said:
it may 'feel' like you have more control... but you dont... take a driving school you will find out that holding the steering wheel at 12 is totally wrong...
Well, whatever, I'll take my chances. haha If I'm driving with one hand I'm not having it on the side of the wheel. Makes it a pain to make a left hand turn without adding my other hand. It's actually more like 11 anyway. When I have 2 hands on the wheel it usually is at more like 3 & 9, though. That being said, I've driven a stick all my life, but the 3 is so quiet and the timing is so different than my previous car that I have to rely on the tac sometimes.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I usually drive with my hands at 2 and 7. I use the driver's door armrest to rest my left arm on while cruising.

·
Registered
396 Posts
lmp180psu said:
I usually drive with my hands at 2 and 7. I use the driver's door armrest to rest my left arm on while cruising.
i used to drive like that, until i got m/t.
now i drive at just 9

1 - 16 of 16 Posts