Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a 2006 mazda 3 hatch with 2.3l. i noticed there was a whine coming from the serp belt area when i got the car but thought it was just something basic like a belt. the belt looks like it needs to be changed soon so ill get new serp and ac belt. i spoke to some more people and they said to swap the tensioner assembly or whatever its called with the belts just because its probably gonna need to be changed anyways. firstly how can i ensure if the assembly hasnt already been changed? cuz i dont want to do it if its already been done. the old owner doesnt know the maintenance history that well so he doesnt know.

secondly what parts do you recommend with part numbers? i was thinking of just going to the mazda dealership and getting everything there just so i dont have any problems with fitment, i have to get it all done tomororw since im hitting the road on monday. i looked into continental belts but dont think i will go with them unless i get exact part numbers, i dont want to get the wrong fitting belts etc. the continental website says diff part numbers compared to what the local store says so thats why i was thinking that mazda belts and the idler would just be easier, however what are your recommendations! its a 2006 mazda 3 hatch with the 2.3l

i am in canada btw if that changes anything

thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Rockauto.com is where to find the answers. I hope the shipping to Canada isn't too evil.
I purchased the complete kit from Rock Auto a couple of years ago. Installed without any issues and no issues with fit or quality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out it was in 2016. DAYCO KIT269BCK. It's a very easy job to tackle.
Thx a ton so I assume it comes with the AC stretch belt, the serp belt, the new tensioner assembly, and the installation tools.

did you use those tools or just the normal method and or zip ties ?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thx a ton so I assume it comes with the AC stretch belt, the serp belt, the new tensioner assembly, and the installation tools.

did you use those tools or just the normal method and or zip ties ?
This link describes the kit (should be accessible from Canada): DAYCO KIT269BCK.

I have a different tool that allows for the stretch belt to be carefully rolled on and rolled off so as not to reach the stretch limit. That way, the stretch belt can be removed and reinstalled without the need for replacement until the service interval.

Reactions: rpelich

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mazda seems to be closed today but it seems like all ill be able to get my hands on will be continental. can anyone confirm if these are the correct parts? its a 2006 with the 2.3l
belt tensioner assembly: continental 49397
belt stretch for ac: continental 4050272S
serp belt: continental 4060522

i dont think ill be able to get gates or dayco since most auto stores are clsoed, hope these are fine
thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
everything went well except whine is still there, i assume its the alternator? any tips?
thx!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Could be. Can you record video of the whine and post it?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is just the electric power steering pump. My 3 has sounded like that for years and it's normal as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahh damn i kinda wanted the noise to go away but whatever. i noticed it only seems to do it at idle, i stood next to the vehicle outside while a friend slowly drove it towards me and i only noticed it when the car came to idle stop next to me

·
Registered
28 Posts
FWIW, there's no need to change the entire tensioner unless specifically indicated: per the factory service manual, the only indications for replacing the whole tensioner assembly are either the tensioner travel or pulley spin not being smooth. Also, once you change the belt, the tensioner's indicator marks (those 3 lines and an arrow at the front of it) should show that it's in the proper tension range. Shortly after I got my 2006 3S (2.3L), I replaced the tensioner's pulley alone with a "Gates 36326 Belt Drive Pulley" for about $17.50 (USD) -- way cheaper than replacing the whole tensioner. (The previous pulley had a little side-to-side play.)

When you had the serpentine off, did you assess every pulley (tensioner, water pump, alternator) for play and friction/noise? (It's not too late, obviously, since the serpentine is easy to loosen.) Also, did you try running it without the A/C belt, to see if your compressor pulley might be the culprit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FWIW, there's no need to change the entire tensioner unless specifically indicated: per the factory service manual, the only indications for replacing the whole tensioner assembly are either the tensioner travel or pulley spin not being smooth. Also, once you change the belt, the tensioner's indicator marks (those 3 lines and an arrow at the front of it) should show that it's in the proper tension range. Shortly after I got my 2006 3S (2.3L), I replaced the tensioner's pulley alone with a "Gates 36326 Belt Drive Pulley" for about $17.50 (USD) -- way cheaper than replacing the whole tensioner. (The previous pulley had a little side-to-side play.)

When you had the serpentine off, did you assess every pulley (tensioner, water pump, alternator) for play and friction/noise? (It's not too late, obviously, since the serpentine is easy to loosen.) Also, did you try running it without the A/C belt, to see if your compressor pulley might be the culprit?
sadly we already did the job and assumed it would be the bearing or something so thats why we changed the whole tensioner and both belts. we didnt really check anything tbh,
here is the video of the noise, for me it sounds like an alternator type of whine and it doesnt seem to change when moving the tires.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Yep, it's the power steering pump. Here is what mine sounds like. You can hear the sound go away when I point my phone at the alternator and come back when I point it at the pump. You'll probably have to unmute the video to hear it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, it's the power steering pump. Here is what mine sounds like. You can hear the sound go away when I point my phone at the alternator and come back when I point it at the pump.
thanks a ton for the video! yeah thats what it sounds like, ill take another look with a stethoscope in a few days.
anything we can do to fix it? or whats the reason it makes the noise?

and do u know the noise go away when the rpm is hgiher?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I don't know, mines been making that noise over over 50K miles and it hasn't changed or gotten worse so I assume it's normal. It's a type of electric hydraulic pump, they all make some noise given how powerful the motor required to make them work is. I don't really know if it changes at higher RPMs, I can't really rev the engine from under the hood without a helper. I would think the engine noise would drown it out at higher RPMs though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know, mines been making that noise over over 50K miles and it hasn't changed or gotten worse so I assume it's normal. It's a type of electric hydraulic pump, they all make some noise given how powerful the motor required to make them work is. I don't really know if it changes at higher RPMs, I can't really rev the engine from under the hood without a helper. I would think the engine noise would drown it out at higher RPMs though.
all good yeah what i noticed breifly is that when im at a stop light i can notice it in the cabin of the car but when i am driving i dont notice it one bit. i was in a parking lot and i had a friend slowly drive the car towards me, and i noticed right when he applied throttle, i noticed the noise dissapear and right when he came to a full stop infront of me, the noise came back. i think i briefly read that the pump gives the most pressure at low speed/rpm which causes the noise which is why we hear the whine and correlating to speed or rpm or whatever it gets quieter as we drive since we dont need that much pressure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts