Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my manual transmission fluid last Thursday to Redline MT-90 as recommended by many people on this forum. Funny thing though is that I noticed that it got even notchier. Before, it was just 1-2 and 4-5 that was notchy but not it seems a little more between the other gears. The weather around here is 50ºF in the morning and even after driving for a while to warm up, it's still notchy.

Here's a possible little problem, although I doubt it. The transmission capacity is 3.03 quarts and I used 3 quarts of fluid. When filling it up, I probably lost about 1/4 cup of fluid making a total of about .09 quarts missing from the transmission case. Would this miniscule amount be the problem for the fluid not performancing as I hoped it would?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I filled mine up with the car level on the ground till it started to come out of the fill hole and it took more than 3.03 quarts. Probably more like 3 and 1/4 to 3 and 1/3. Also while i noticed some improvement right away I also noticed that it improved more over the course of a few days. That was my experience anyway.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It's kind of a notchy transmission. It was a little notchy before I changed to MT-90, and it stayed a little notchy after. I can't say I noticed a difference. I just did it to ensure I had something that would function at -40F.

I don't think the fluid level is to blame, but maybe try topping it up until it's dripping out when level and see if that helps. It's good practice to have your fluid levels fully topped up anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Id just leave it alone..Put factory tranny oil back in it. There is so much money wasted on "boutique" oils and lubricants that are just not needed. Fact is conventional oil and factory recomm. tranny oil will be just fine and provide a long life for your car. If it aint broke dont fix it. Im amazed at the amount of people that think if they change thier tranny oil WAY before its needed that it will "help" it in some way...News flash it WONT. Just do the mfg. recommended service and you will be FINE. The same goes for your engine..The whole synthetic thing is another waste. change your oil every 4-6k and use conventional oil and your engine will love you. Anything above and beyond that is flushing your money down the toilet.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=69407.msg1205542#msg1205542 date=1171410131]
Id just leave it alone..Put factory tranny oil back in it. There is so much money wasted on "boutique" oils and lubricants that are just not needed. Fact is conventional oil and factory recomm. tranny oil will be just fine and provide a long life for your car. If it aint broke dont fix it. Im amazed at the amount of people that think if they change thier tranny oil WAY before its needed that it will "help" it in some way...News flash it WONT. Just do the mfg. recommended service and you will be FINE. The same goes for your engine..The whole synthetic thing is another waste. change your oil every 4-6k and use conventional oil and your engine will love you. Anything above and beyond that is flushing your money down the toilet.
[/quote]

:wtcslap:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[/quote]

While I respect the fact that you are entitled to your opinion, most everything you advised is wrong. Better your car then mine. :p

Darryl

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=D Bone link=topic=69407.msg1205889#msg1205889 date=1171417163]
[/quote]

While I respect the fact that you are entitled to your opinion, most everything you advised is wrong. Better your car then mine. :p

Darryl
[/quote]
Yeah, Its always a bad idea to follow a manufacturer recom. :? If you simply do what the book says to there will be NO issues. Overkill wont hurt your car BUT it will KILL your wallet. When you simply follow the owners manual then you will have a long lasting car. When people makes comments on here that if you dont change your tranny oil every 20k or so...OR if you dont use uneccessary synthetics then your vehicle will not last is simply NOT TRUE. I can assure you that a vehicle that has a tranny service say every 50k or oil changes every 4-6k using CONVENTION oil, That car will last and have no more problems than an overkill car. The tranny is no different..synthetics are just not needed.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=69407.msg1205949#msg1205949 date=1171418633]
Yeah, Its always a bad idea to follow a manufacturer recom. :? If you simply do what the book says to there will be NO issues. Overkill wont hurt your car BUT it will KILL your wallet. When you simply follow the owners manual then you will have a long lasting car. When people makes comments on here that if you dont change your tranny oil every 20k or so...OR if you dont use uneccessary synthetics then your vehicle will not last is simply NOT TRUE. I can assure you that a vehicle that has a tranny service say every 50k or oil changes every 4-6k using CONVENTION oil, That car will last and have no more problems than an overkill car. The tranny is no different..synthetics are just not needed.
[/quote]

I do agree with you that if you follow the manufactures recommendations for service (oils/fluids & intervals), you should be OK. But I like to have that extra measure of protection that better oils/fluids and earlier intervals provides. In my opinion I go from "should be OK", to "will for sure be OK". 8)

Darryl

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
[/quote]

Is that why my ATX fluid was black at 15,000 miles and burned badly? What does Mazda say about changing it? Oh yeah...NOTHING. If you go by the manual you would simply assume to just "check the level" every so often and leave it at that. There is no changing schedule in the maintence section of my 2004 manual. Another example, Dex-Cool (GM). They state in my girlfriends manual that it lasts 10 years, 150,000 miles. Well do a search. There are thousands of cases of the fluid rotting out the radiator and lines, sometimes at only 40,000 miles.

I agree that MOST of the time following your manual is a good way from being ripped off by greedy dealerships, but certainly not all the time. The ATX transmission in this car and the Dex-Cool in GM products are perfect examples of that. I can assure you if 50,000 mile transmission services are done as you suggest in your second post, you'll be lucky to get much past the warranty period. I use a full synthetic in my ATX now and the trans shifts remarkably smoother, and is always red when I do a drain and fill.

If people want to buy convential oil, high end synthetic, or anything else in between, that is just fine. HOWEVER, to say that fluids that come with your car are fine and will make your car last a long time is simply not true all the time. That is certainly true with the ATX fluid in these cars, and true with other components in the auto industry. My real question now is why Maudi hasen't shown up and schooled you on your comment.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the concern alecshawn. This was more as an upgrade than anything. The stock shifter was smoother than previous MTX's i've driven and upgrading to MT-90 was to hopefully make it even better.

I topped it off this evening for a peace of mind and actually needed 1/5 quart more to top it off completely. Even if the shifting feeling doesn't get better, I believe it will be better in the long run for gear and syncro protection.

·
Registered
753 Posts
[quote author=Mummyman link=topic=69407.msg1206413#msg1206413 date=1171428553]
Is that why my ATX fluid was black at 15,000 miles and burned badly? What does Mazda say about changing it? Oh yeah...NOTHING.[/quote]

That's not normal to have black, burned fluid at any time. Sounds like your tranny overheated at some point.

Either way, I do believe the manufacturer should recommend tranny fluid changes. Transmissions are too expensive to ignore.

·
Registered
753 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=69407.msg1207577#msg1207577 date=1171482445]
The burnt tranny fluid is quite common amongst the auto trans. crowd here.
[/quote]

Crazy. I've never heard of that being a typical problem in anything else. My buddy's girl has an '05 with that 4-speed. I'll have to have a look (& smell) at that fluid.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[quote author=rpn453 link=topic=69407.msg1207596#msg1207596 date=1171482935]
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=69407.msg1207577#msg1207577 date=1171482445]
The burnt tranny fluid is quite common amongst the auto trans. crowd here.
[/quote]

Crazy. I've never heard of that being a typical problem in anything else. My buddy's girl has an '05 with that 4-speed. I'll have to have a look (& smell) at that fluid.
[/quote]

Yea, search it out on this forum, it's quite common. My 2006 ATX fluid was shot @ 12k miles.

Darryl

·
Registered
45 Posts
[/quote]

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree regarding synthetic oil. I'm getting 7-10% better gas mileage since switching to Mobil1 5w20 synthetic. Not to mention fewer required oil changes and a lessened environmental impact (less oil to dispose of). Conventional oil when changed properly does do it's job, but synthetic has its advantages as well.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=ts-x link=topic=69407.msg1233228#msg1233228 date=1172508485]
[/quote]

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree
[/quote]

You're not the first person (or probably the last) around here to disagree with him on a "Maintenance & Care" topic so don't feel too bad. :popcorn:

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
[quote author=alecshawn link=topic=69407.msg1234186#msg1234186 date=1172522948]
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=69407.msg1233369#msg1233369 date=1172511309]
[quote author=ts-x link=topic=69407.msg1233228#msg1233228 date=1172508485]
[/quote]

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree
[/quote]

You're not the first person (or probably the last) around here to disagree with him on a "Maintenance & Care" topic so don't feel too bad. :popcorn:
[/quote]
Mshu7 is another child who needs to grow up and move out from his parents house....He too needs a woman OR in his case a man. :shock:
[/quote]

Personal attacks will not be tollerated! :nono:

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
[quote author=Mummyman link=topic=69407.msg1206413#msg1206413 date=1171428553]
My real question now is why Maudi hasen't shown up and schooled you on your comment.
[/quote]

haha, you have done very well grasshoppa~ 8)
No need for my input here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts