Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking for some help regarding an idea for a mod that I'd like to do on my 6.

In my roommates BMW, and I'm sure it's like this in all BMW's, there's a light that shines straight down into the center console lighting the stick and the other misc controls in that area. It's very subtle, you almost don't know it's there until it's not...

I posted about this in the 6 forums and was told that the 3 had this feature already. Does it? If it does, where is it installed/how does it work?

Thread here...

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M3-GT said:
It's right above the ashtray and is activated automatically with the car headlamps at night.
The ashtray is located at the bottom of your console, correct?

What do the lights illuminate then?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
correct. It's a blue light that's mainly there to light up that area only....mostly cosmetic but nice looking nonetheless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks.

I think I still need to see if I can find a way to get it to illuminate the whole center stack then, such as mounting lights in the rear view mirror by the maplights then... My hopes of just replacing the a mirror or something have been squished...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Maybe I'm just not envisioning it properly but it almost sounds like doing that would be a bit distracting. You're basically talking about puttling a low watt map light shining down to lighten up the centre stack?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cowtown said:
Maybe I'm just not envisioning it properly but it almost sounds like doing that would be a bit distracting. You're basically talking about puttling a low watt map light shining down to lighten up the centre stack?
Er, sorta. In my roommates BMW there are a pair of really low intensity LED that point straight down illuminating the center console and stick area. You can barely notice it until you realize that it's not dark there. They refer to it as "BMW Ambiance Lighting: LED lights in roof bathe console area in soft orange light, helping occupants find controls at night"

I really is quite useful and very well done, and it's one of those things that you need to see to truly appreciate, and not distracting at all.

I'm trying to find a pic of it but I'm not having any luck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
correct. It's a blue light that's mainly there to light up that area only....mostly cosmetic but nice looking nonetheless.
Is the light on GT only? I don't have it on my GS...

·
Registered
882 Posts
It is pretty subtle, put your hand under there when it's dark out and you have the headlights on and you should see it Phil.

And TS I'd just have to see it I guess, sounds neat though. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
is a blue light that comes on when u turn on the lights for the inside. i can post a pic of it tonight. or when it get dark enough

·
Registered
233 Posts
Interesting, I don't have it on the GS... May be a GT only feature, wonder what part# is it so I can retrofit...

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Audi had those LEDs and yes, they are very nice. You don't notice them at all until your hand is right there to mess with the radio or climate control, and then your hand has a soft red glow to it. Surprisingly, it makes operating the controls much, much easier at night and does not distract you from driving one bit. Remember, these are German cars, where the number 1 focus is driving. You're priveledged that they give you a cupholder.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yeah, but you should definately make sure it's red (as in the audi) for red doesn't interrupt your night vision. If it's soft white or something, you might look down, then look up, and have to spend a moment refocusing... which isn't desireable.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oh man that is so cooL! mine doens't have that light! (GS model i guess) thats probably to go along w/ the GTs blue accent on the spedometer and whatnot....i hope i can get that light through mazda somehow tho? otherwise ill just put one there, or i hope there is a hole there @ least.....i just put blue neons on the floor and the middle console needs to be spiced up and that is perfecT!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is a sweet pic of the blue light N1smo. The interior is aswesome at night!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts