Saw a real cool console mod on Taiwan's Mazda3 forum
still trying to figure out how he did it
especially the Blue LED Screen w/ Mazdaspeed LOGO

anyone got any idea?

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
Re: Center Console DIY Mod

Its a decal its not actually on the display(the MazdaSpeed portion that is)[i think].
As far as the blue goes he must have changed out the display colors somehow with a new set of lights..I've only ever seen some reverse the polarization look of the screen so the background is black and the lighted part is red.

·
Registered
73 Posts
looks pretty dang clean.
but looks like it would be way to invovled and i would be afriad of breaking some of the sweet oem dash..

·
Registered
782 Posts
furanku, can you give me the link to the Taiwan Mazda 3 forum? I tried googling, but I'm not sure which one you're on. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
damn. that is awesome

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=kendalf link=topic=68222.msg1178309#msg1178309 date=1170224125]
furanku, can you give me the link to the Taiwan Mazda 3 forum? I tried googling, but I'm not sure which one you're on. Thanks!
[/quote]

here is the link to original post
http://www.axela-tw.com/viewthread.php?tid=16683&extra=page=1&page=1

the original poster did some other cool mods too, like switching the orange LED lights on steering wheel to blue and others

btw, you might have to register to read the posts there~

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
i wish i was a master soderer...spelling. lol sound it out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm glad i'm reviving an old post on this one ( and more so that I actually went and did a search for this, seeing as this is one of my current projects ).

I'm currently in the process ( about half way done with putting on a polarizer ) and plan on converting the entire car over to blue ( i've already done radio, as per Commies wonderful guide and have LEDS on order for the gauge / ac as well as cigarete boxxy thing.

And I also plan on changing my LCD screen to blue.

I have taken pictures of exactly how i'm going to do it and since it's already apart i'm excited. There are 6 LEDS that light the LCD from the back, they aren't SMD and they are actually rather big so i'm going to have to go out and try to find a match for these LEDS, i'm running short on funds so if I can get the money i'm going to order a few different kinds.

The only possible problem that I can forsee besides of course breaking the LCD is trying to get the LEDS on.

It will be easier to upload photos to show you, but there are about 100 or so Pins that run paralel across the bottum of the LCD screen and go down into the circut board. It would be suicide to unsolder all of these ( although this would be the best case scenario because the LEDS are underneath a white piece that you can't really get at unless you do something about the LCD ). Instead I have two ideas, one is to bend the entire LCD screen with all the pins back a bit so I can remove the LCD screen and the white piece for easy access to the LEDS. The other is to prop up the bottum of the circut board and put something in between the circut board and the white piece; ultimately stretching out the LED and pins a bit but I should have enough room ( i hope ) to be able to solder these 2 pin LEDS off and with a pliers or some othere form of grabing device pull them out.

I really want to see if I can buy an extra LCD from my mazda dealer however before I even attempt this that way I can see which way works best on the extra LCD so if I break it, can't figure out the polarity, of for some reason it just doesn't work I won't have screwed up my only LCD.

I did this mod to my ipod the other day as a test ( learning how LCD's work ) and the backlighting etc, and I successfully modded my ipod to glow blue. So i'm hopefull. :dance:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow. awesome!

please keep us updated on how it goes, sounds like a tough one.
hope all goes well..and when u have time! teach us how to follow ur steps~! :lol:

·
Registered
656 Posts
:shock:

I ran outa money, so untill I can get a few dollars to order LEDS and test different sizes I won't be able to do this.

And it's -4 degrees outside for the next 8 days haha, and i'm not going outside to F around with anything in this weather, so I might be waiting till spring break to do this mod :) But I can post some pics of what the 06 model LCD looks like when taken apart and I could always start the write up.

·
Registered
976 Posts
想改中控液晶燈 音響燈.排黨燈 空調燈.近來看看喔
小弟我不是要賺什麼錢只是拿點想還奶妢錢過生活..畢竟這是困難度極高的工作..
還有這些燈價錢從20~45不等..燈加起來有45到50顆左右..所以有衝動的人在搞比較好..
品質絕沒問題我已改色過2次使用4個多月沒發昇問題..有想的再跟我說巴??
沒人也沒關西..謝謝
This is the original quote from http://www.axela-tw.com/viewthread.php?tid=15026&extra=page=1
Basically he said he can mod it for ppl, so I suppose you can send it to him lol.
He said the LEDs he used are priced between $0.6~$1.4USD ($20~45NTD) and there are about 40~45 of them.
So you'll get an idea of how much it'd cost if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Umm .. i don't mean to be mean ... but that guys a liar hah.

I took the whole thing apart and the LCD screen is only lite with 6 LED's and i looked them up on mouser.com and the ones that would fit cost about a 1.40 that's 6 times a 1.40. But meh, if he want's to say there are that many you can pay him, just don't want anyone getting ripped off.

Although it might be different on different models and years, I have a 06 3I, if that helps.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I believe the guy was talking about how many LEDs are required to do the whole center console, not just the LCD screen. If you followed Commie's guide and changed the LEDs for the radio, then you should know that 40-45 is about right.

·
Registered
656 Posts
hmm let's see .. 1+1 ... yeah that's about right, although the pricing still doesn't make sense then, The SMD led's cost about 10 cents a piece. but whatever, if you want to follow that lead there ya go.

I just had an idea actually on how to make modding the LCD screen easier, involving sanding down part of the white piece that holds in the LCD... i'm going to try this later tonight to see if i can get the piece off, if I can then i'm going to order the LEDS from mouser and try to get this done before the end of the week, and yes i'll do a write up. P.s I love your avatar Kendalf, <3 lotr :p

·
Registered
782 Posts
LOTR FTW! Oh my, I think that's the first time I've ever used FTW...

Rdk87, I'll be eager to see your write-up! LEDs are so much fun!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well then you will totally be happy to know that I Just spent a few hours taking the white piece that is below the LCD off ( this proved a huge challange and I had to de-solder 3 LED's and sand down two sides, but it's off!! I also took the measurements and just ordered up 2 different kinds of blue LEDS from mouser.com and they are currently being shipped. Hopefully they will get here within the week and then I can solder them on and test them out ). Only thing with this is, the write up ( although it will be extremely detailed ) this is not going to be something that's easy haha, you're going to need some huge balls to try this one out..... That is ( if it works and I don't :boink: the whole thing up haha )

·
Registered
656 Posts
So the post office's website says that my LEDS have been delivered.. sigh .. but I'm not sure if that means to the post office or to my dorm, because they certainly aren't in my mailbox as of yet. If they are in there, i'm going to try to finish this mod tonight, if I do i'll probably do the write up on FRI or SAT, since classes are oh so important haha.

:klavergreg:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts