Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, last few nights on my 2007 M3 2.3I've been getting a CEL and always finding its a P0102 which says Intake air temp sensor. Boards here say its a low temp problem as opposed to a high temp issue. Its cold in Seattle, although not quite freezing. MAF was cleaned about 6 months ago.

last night I got a CEL but also had the TCS squiggly light on as well, yet the OBD2 thing I borrowed from Schucks gave me the exact same P0102 reading as before. HOw can that be? There's obviously a new issue. I just received both lights again this morning so I will have to deal with it tonight.

I've already replaced (and lengthened) one of I believe 5 wires going into the MAF sensor, and it was not easy. Is it time to replace the remaining 4 for good measure? Just like everyone says, my wiring harness can barely reach my F5 intake but I thought I solved that problem. Any other thoughts on the wiring harness length? I feel like i've taken as much slack as the harness will give (which still wasn't enough for the 1st wire I replaced).

When we rev the engine is it really moving or seperating that much??? ALso, is there a good cheap scan tool anyone recommends, I really don't want to spend a $100 but I need one that tells me more than just a number code.

Thanks

·
Registered
860 Posts
Have you cleaned your MAF sensor? Maybe it is just dirty. I'm not sure what the TCS light is. If you are actually pulling the wires on the MAF then I would cut the whole thing off in the middle and add some wires to both ends. I did this on my car. Added about 4-5" to all the wires. Now I have way more then I will ever need.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just remember was TCS is. I don't think that an engine code reader would be able to show you stats on TCS. AutoEnginuity were you slipping/sliding when the light was on? Is the light staying on after you turn the car off and back on? Is it on at a full stop? Since you probably still have warranty on a 2007 car you may want to just take it to the dealer for them to take a look at the TCS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=prototype99 link=topic=136007.msg2929297#msg2929297 date=1234373191]
Just remember was TCS is. I don't think that an engine code reader would be able to show you stats on TCS. AutoEnginuity were you slipping/sliding when the light was on? Is the light staying on after you turn the car off and back on? Is it on at a full stop? Since you probably still have warranty on a 2007 car you may want to just take it to the dealer for them to take a look at the TCS.
[/quote]

I am not sure why the TCS came on. When I turn the car off and restart it, the TCS light turns off and is fine, but the CEL remains until I remove it with a OBD2 device. I am going to an autozone around lunch time and will clear it.

Unfortunately the last time I had a problem with the middle wire going into the harness at the MAF sensor so I had to take it out, cut it and solder on a new wire slightly thicker than the last one. It was a tough job, but I would like to do it again with the correct looking wire. All I had at the time was marine grade white wire which worked, but I don't think its a good idea to have all 5 wires the same.

More an dmore I am thinking its not cleaning that will fix it but instead it's a wiring issue. I saw a picture on a thread here where someone was pointing out an wire that could be seen through the sheath. I have the same thing, but as far as I can tell that wire is firmly in the harness.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I agree with prototype the wires are probably being pulled my car had the same problem and it was about the same time my passenger motor mount failed. I believe that this issue is closely related to a passenger side motor mount starting to fail. I would lengthen all the wires using some crimp-on butt connectors i did that and use some automotive wire or any wire similar to the stock ones you can get wire cut at lowes or home depot just estimate the length and have them cut it shouldn't cost more than 5 bucks probably just a dollar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Adam3324 link=topic=136007.msg2929633#msg2929633 date=1234380504]
I agree with prototype the wires are probably being pulled my car had the same problem and it was about the same time my passenger motor mount failed. I believe that this issue is closely related to a passenger side motor mount starting to fail. I would lengthen all the wires using some crimp-on butt connectors i did that and use some automotive wire or any wire similar to the stock ones you can get wire cut at lowes or home depot just estimate the length and have them cut it shouldn't cost more than 5 bucks probably just a dollar.
[/quote]WOOOOOW

Motor mount starting to fail??? Can you give me a little on this. From what I understand, since i have an aftermarket CAI my powertrain warranty is voided so if this happens i am screwed! What happened to your car when the passenger side motor mount failed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
860 Posts
[quote author=dluv link=topic=136007.msg2929701#msg2929701 date=1234381757]
[quote author=Adam3324 link=topic=136007.msg2929633#msg2929633 date=1234380504]
[/quote]WOOOOOW

Motor mount starting to fail??? Can you give me a little on this. From what I understand, since i have an aftermarket CAI my powertrain warranty is voided so if this happens i am screwed! What happened to your car when the passenger side motor mount failed?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Very wrong. Your warranty is not gone. You only lose warranty on just the part you changed. So just your intake has no warranty. Now if your engine blows up they will first have to prove it was because of the intake. If they can prove it was the intake then you are screwed but if it was because of a different problem then you are fine and they will have to fix it under warranty. If you still have your stock intake and just dont want to worry about the dealer making a big fuss about your intake just swap it with the stock one and take it to them.

Now for the motor mount issue. First of all the 3 has the worst motor mounts I have ever seen on a car. If your motor mounts fail your motor is more capabile of moving around in the engine bay which can cause problems. You can fix this by just replacing the motor mounts. StreetUnit has the pass and driver side mounts out now which I'm running on my car and love it. In my opinion all 3 owners should be getting the SU side mounts for their car. Well worth it for the safety of your car/self. I also have the AWR 70D rear mount. There are a lot of options for the rear. And I think only 2 options for the pass. side one (SU and some other company). Only 1 option for the driver side one (Just SU as far as I know).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
860 Posts
By the way. Where in the Seattle area are you located? I lived there basically my whole life. Moved to St. Louis about 2 years ago. I'm goign to be visiting some family in a month or so if you would like help with your MAF wires I may be able to help then if you are not to far. My parents live in Sammamish/Redmond.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=prototype99 link=topic=136007.msg2929752#msg2929752 date=1234382588]
By the way. Where in the Seattle area are you located? I lived there basically my whole life. Moved to St. Louis about 2 years ago. I'm goign to be visiting some family in a month or so if you would like help with your MAF wires I may be able to help then if you are not to far. My parents live in Sammamish/Redmond.
[/quote]I'm on the other side of the lake in the redmond/overlake area. Half a block from Nintendo. Why did you move to St. Louis? Bet its cold as hell right now, if hell were cold.

My basic plan is to make a stop at Autozone, clear the CEL, then let the engine idle and pull on the MAF harness to my heart's content. Tonight I'll probably just replace the remaining 4 wires with extensions.

I have about 29K miles which appears to be about the time the passenger engine mounts begin to go. Thank you for the explanation about the warranty. I called the local Mazda inquiring about buying another harness and he told me everything's voided with a CAI. Your explanation sounds a little too logical to be true...that they would have to find evidence that the CAI caused a problem in order to void the warranty, (on say a bad engine mount).

Right now I'm still kind of scared about the warranty issue, i just do not want to take the CAI out because it was a royal bitch to put it in the first place.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Moved to STL since the wifey is from STL and she wanted to be close to her family. She also had a job lined up and it was easy for me to find a job (which I'm still at and loving every minute of it). STL is not to bad right now. 45ish right now. Just some small rain showers. It was bad a few weeks ago when I got like 8" of snow almost overnight. Was stuck in my house (lowered cars suck in that much snow) for almost 3 days. Luckily power never went out and I was able to just work from home :)

Tell them that you know about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Magnuson-Moss+Warranty+Act) that may change there stance a little bit :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Forgot to mention that they would not cover a worn out motor mount in warranty. It would be wear and tear (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this) item so they will just say you will need to replace it at your cost. I know a few people have replaced them under warranty but they had specific reasons like the car was almost brand new etc etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very interesting regarding the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. I'll have to read more about it. This I assume covers my car for all problems not associated with any changes I myself have made independent from Mazda. Aftermarket CAI's I would assume void Mazda's responsibility for issues associated with the short wiring harness of the Mazda3.

You should have seen this area when we had major snow before Christmas. It was a blast for me once I bought a good pair of chains but I did get a little high-centered at one point trying to turn into a condo complex. What a pain. I've never seen the east side so crippled from snow. I for one took the privilege of doing donuts late at night at most of the major intersections in Bellevue.

My CEL turned off before making it to Autozone so like a good worker I went back to the office. I still think it's probably a good idea to extend the wires on the MAF harness. Thank god for the post on removing the wires from the harness.

How exactly can you tell if the motor mount is compromised? I think I threw a CEL because of revving the engine which would lead me to believe the engine may be a little loose. I don't see any liquid oozing from it, nor do I hear any hardness in the engine at any gear. I'm sick of getting CEL's just because I need to quickly get around some slow poke.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A good way to tell if your passenger mount is failed is to push on the center of it from the top if your finger does not encounter resistance then the oil inside has leaked out. P.S. check under the mount on the frame if the oil is starting to leak out . i also found that as it fails it contacts the inner sides of the mount and you can see the marks from the rubber bumpers on the side of the mount if it hasnt failed just get a rear motor mount and that can stop your mount failing or at least prolong it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts