Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same issue, 07 with 100700miles and throws a P0753 after replacing with the E revision of the TCM for $500... yay... I also swapped the solenoids around to see if it would throw a different code for the malfunctioning solenoid itself, but it keeps saying A which leads me to believe it is a wiring problem, or something totally unrelated and this is just the code that gets thrown as a result. I have the set of solenoids coming in the mail so I guess we will see soon. On another point, the diagrams say A is one of the large ones, but the focus of the same generation seems to eat up the smaller solenoids so I'm not sure which is actually which.
I will also be replacing solenoid A as soon as the part arrives. I'm currently at 159,800 miles. I hope my problem will be address by replacing the solenoid. I'll post update after I swap out solenoid and change out tranny filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did new TCM work?

Aftert researching the symptoms and solutions, I am convinced replacing the TCM will solve the issue BUT mazda wants more for this part than it would cost me to put in a used tranny...$2400 for just the part. I've read that changing this part out isn't easy either...not a Mazda fan right now.
. Did new TCM work? I'm having the same problem

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I wasted $550 but seemed to have fixed my problem... It was super simple and should have been something I checked first, but it is a pain to get to. It seems the transaxle connector worked its way loose because bumps over the 100k miles and the the way it plugs in which caused a signal loss... USPS lost my solenoids so I decided to just check something else in the mean time. I had to take off the passenger side wheel, and wheel well cover to get at the thing... The connector came off with little force which means it wasn't seated properly anymore. I blasted it with a little electrical parts cleaner and pressed it back on. It has been working properly for 24 hours so knock on wood it continues. I'd recommend checking this first if anyone has this problem in the future.... I just wonder if I would have ended up with a new transmission if I had gone to a dedicated shop. I guess I can pull the TCM and sell it at a loss to recoup some of my investment at the very least.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I wasted $550 but seemed to have fixed my problem... It was super simple and should have been something I checked first, but it is a pain to get to. It seems the transaxle connector worked its way loose because bumps over the 100k miles and the the way it plugs in which caused a signal loss... USPS lost my solenoids so I decided to just check something else in the mean time. I had to take off the passenger side wheel, and wheel well cover to get at the thing... The connector came off with little force which means it wasn't seated properly anymore. I blasted it with a little electrical parts cleaner and pressed it back on. It has been working properly for 24 hours so knock on wood it continues. I'd recommend checking this first if anyone has this problem in the future.... I just wonder if I would have ended up with a new transmission if I had gone to a dedicated shop. I guess I can pull the TCM and sell it at a loss to recoup some of my investment at the very least.
Wow!

You know, my problem is so intermittent that I also believe it's an electrical issue. I absolutely have zero slippage when it is working or when the code is triggered. I really don't think it's mechanical.

Did you have a chronic P0753 even when you cleared the code? The code kept coming back and it is only this code?

I did notice that my driverside engine mount is busted so maybe with the added vibration, the harness clip became loose or even partially broke?

My car is being inspected at the transmission shop and I believe the expected verdict is that I need to replace the transmission. I am going to pick up the car and look at the connection first to make sure I'm not being taken for a ride. Please keep me posted. I will update this thread when I hear back from the transmission shop.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok,

I got off the phone with the shop and they were very honest. They basically said my transmission is too responsive to be internal issue. The guy who specializes in diagnosis said it's very very likely that it might be a TCM malfunction or the TCM is toast. I had to agree with him that the TCM was my #1 suspected culprit.

I am going to search for a used TCM to try and address this. Tinn - give me a good price and I'll buy yours just to try it. PM me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a similar problem and I suspect TCM too. But I want to be sure. I don't want to waste $600 just to discover that problem is still there. Can I rent your TCM? :) I will put it in and if it is a problem will buy it. if not I will only pay rent :) You can tell I am desperate :) There should be some 'lend a prat" service.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a TCM as well.

Question for you: I am very confident it's definitely electrical in nature now. Have yo notice that your transmission acts up when it is cold out and once the engine warms up, you don't have the issue as much as you would when it's cold?

I'm going to make sure all my connections are tight later today. I do have a busted driverside mount that's creating a lot of vibrations. It may have created some wiring harness problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just replaced my transmission mount, I think this is what you have referred to, it was town and causing some vibrations. I have not found any loose connection on that side. I unhooked my TCM took it out and stared at it (that's all I could do :))) ). It looked ok. Perhaps heat damaged it. I don't know.

About cold vs. warm. I don't know. Probably no difference. I think the sudden jerk happens when car worms up. I never had it first 10 minutes of drive.

I do not have CEL on. Once my CEL came on and it reported U0101 - Cannot communicate with TCM. After I unhooked the batter in order to get to my transmission mount the CEL cleared, obviusely, and hasn't come on. I wish I had a working TCM for an hour. To put it in and see if that fixed the problem. The part is too expensive to just throw it in.

What are your symptoms. Perhaps we could help each other getting to the roots of this, because this forum is not very active and we seem to have a problem at the same time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just replaced my transmission mount, I think this is what you have referred to, it was town and causing some vibrations. I have not found any loose connection on that side. I unhooked my TCM took it out and stared at it (that's all I could do :))) ). It looked ok. Perhaps heat damaged it. I don't know.

About cold vs. warm. I don't know. Probably no difference. I think the sudden jerk happens when car worms up. I never had it first 10 minutes of drive.

I do not have CEL on. Once my CEL came on and it reported U0101 - Cannot communicate with TCM. After I unhooked the batter in order to get to my transmission mount the CEL cleared, obviusely, and hasn't come on. I wish I had a working TCM for an hour. To put it in and see if that fixed the problem. The part is too expensive to just throw it in.

What are your symptoms. Perhaps we could help each other getting to the roots of this, because this forum is not very active and we seem to have a problem at the same time.
Your code and my code is completely different. Your code is easier to diagnose. The shop basically said if I had a U1xx code, it's 100% likely that it's the TCM. On the other hand, my code of P0753 is electrical in nature and it can be a connection issue all the way up to a TCM problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
E? hmm... were you able to find that online? Dealership won't tell me the part number - morons!!! :)

I see what you are saying. From what I read, I am not sure in either case that it is or is not TCM. It's very inconclusive diagnosis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a common problem. I went though this whole process. shop wanted to charge $600 to replace my solenoids. I replaced them all myself for $70. It was really easy to do. This did not fix the problem. Turns out its the TCM. Not only that but the Mazda 3 TCM is one of the most replace TCM's of all time. I got a remanufactured TCM and the car ran great for almost a year, now its doing the exact same thing again. I should have got a new TCM :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for a TCM as well.

Question for you: I am very confident it's definitely electrical in nature now. Have yo notice that your transmission acts up when it is cold out and once the engine warms up, you don't have the issue as much as you would when it's cold?

I'm going to make sure all my connections are tight later today. I do have a busted driverside mount that's creating a lot of vibrations. It may have created some wiring harness problems.
Did you ever get this fixed? And if yes, how? I'm having very similar symptoms, and indeed more problems when its cold. In the morning as I start driving it shocks when shifting, and reverse is sometimes an almost rollercoaster ride. But when the car gets warm, it all seems fine, AT light goes off but CEL stays on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same issue. 2010 mazda3 2.5. Changed the 2 solenoids yesterday and the issue was back as soon as I started the car. P0753. Fluid is dark but level was fine and no burnt smell. I should check the connector. I’ll do that this week. Otherwise, where can I find a new or used TCM?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts