Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 mazda 3 with roughly 77,000 miles. 5 speed auto trans. Just recently the CEL came on as well as the AT light, the car would not shift higher than third gear. Took to the dealer, was due for a transmission flush so I had them do that there while diagnosing my problem. Fluid was dark. The mechanic stated he got an occasional code of P0753, shift solenoid A malfunction. After my flush I was on my way with a brand new feeling transmission. Drove it about 50 miles till the problems came back. It's scheduled to go back Friday to get that solenoid replaced. My question is, should I be planning on dropping cash here for a new transmission or should I feel confident it's a solenoid issue? I just can't keep dropping $300 at a time on a transmission that may be junk!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
It very well be toast, cause the fluid should have been changed a couple times by 77k miles. The solenoid the mechanic spoke of controls your shifting. Buy one and install it yourself if money is an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
***UPDATE***

Dealer said the tranny was the problem. Got a new one installed by them and went to pick it up today. Didn't even get out of the parking lot and realized that nothing has changed. CEL and AT light on still. Took it right back. So I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't the TCM now???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Any updates?

I'm having the same issue with my 2007 Mazda 3. I have just over 80,000 miles on it. One morning the CEL and AT light came on, and I couldn't shift past third gear. Ran the code to be P0753 - shift solenoid A.

I took it to the dealership, who told me what I feared...I need a new transmission since replacing the solenoid may not fix the problem.

How much should I expect to fork over for a new or rebuilt auto transmission?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I received a quote:

~$3,400 for a remanufactured transmission
~$2,500 for a used transmission (with 74,000 miles on it)

My question is: Should I attempt to delay a new tranny by getting it flushed? Would that help, or am I just wasting money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Replace the solenoid replaced and go from there. No point in forking over $$$$ when it could be something much less expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
My question is for anyone else experiencing this issue. Does your AT light come on all the time? If not, when your AT light is on, does the hood or driver side of your car feel warmer than usual - maybe even hot to the touch after you have turned the car off? Are you burning excess oil?

I'm having the same issues. This is what I have done (per dealership recommendations).
a) Transmission flush. Did not fix it.
b) Replace thermostat and software update. Did not fix it.
c) I went home and drained my tranny fluid less than 200km from the flush. BLACK! I don't think the dealership even did a drain and fill let alone a $250.00 flush. Now they tell me I need a new transmission. They do not know what they are doing.

After reading on here someone did get a new one installed AND had the same issue before leaving the lot makes me think it is something to do with the transmission overheating. Has anyone successfully fixed this issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Replace the solenoid replaced and go from there. No point in forking over $$$$ when it could be something much less expensive.
My only concern is that replacing the solenoid might not fix the problem. Plus they said they cannot replace that specific solenoid (shift solenoid A).

Mfd1979 - The AT light only comes on in the morning, probably due to the transmission fluid settling/thickening overnight. Once the car warms up it turns off. But I'm not if driving in third gear for 10+ miles is a good idea in the meantime...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
they said they cannot replace that specific solenoid (shift solenoid A).
I just looked up all the information in the Mazda 3 workshop manual. All shift solenoids are replicable and it gives the procedure. (Page 05-17B-32) On top of that none of the mentioned possible causes for your P0753 are related to a failed transmission, they are all related to electrical wiring, connectors, and the shift solenoid and it says how to troubleshoot it. (Page 05-02B-51)

That said, don't go back to that dealer again. It seems they are too stupid to read their own workshop manual!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,599 Posts
Not too stupid, too lazy. Thus rather dig in your wallet deeper than do the troubleshooting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
All shift solenoids are replicable and it gives the procedure. (Page 05-17B-32) On top of that none of the mentioned possible causes for your P0753 are related to a failed transmission, they are all related to electrical wiring, connectors, and the shift solenoid and it says how to troubleshoot it. (Page 05-02B-51)
I went to an independent shop for a second opinion. They recommended that I replace the solenoid (both A and B), do a complete flush, drop the pan, etc. for about $600.

They gave my transmission a 90% chance of working fine afterwards. The 10% possible downfall? The complicated electrical system (ECU).

I'm not one for giving up on my Mazda, but I'm considering fixing then selling or trading it in...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,599 Posts
If I put $600 into it and that fixed it, I'd drive it at least another six months to a year to recoup that money vs. the cost of a new car payment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
If I put $600 into it and that fixed it, I'd drive it at least another six months to a year to recoup that money vs. the cost of a new car payment.
That makes sense. But my car will also be worth less in 6 months. It'll probably work out to break even (recoup repair cost vs. selling now versus later).

I'm replacing that part next week. Question is, am I able to drive in just third gear in the meantime? No freeway driving, only roads under 45 mph at less than 3,000 rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,599 Posts
I wouldn't drive it till it's fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I got the solenoids replaced. Did not fix the issue. Was recommended to check the harness/wiring for open/shorted circuits. If one is found, to fix it. If not, I may need to replace the ECU.

Has anyone experienced this electrical issue? How much did it cost to check the wiring and/or to replace the ECU?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I've been driving around with my CEL and AT light on for about 6 months. It comes on almost all the time and remains on until I restart the engine, and then will come back on shortly after. I have taken it to 2 different transmission shops and the mazda dealership who all told me to the transmission will need to be replaced. THey have also suggested replacing solenoids. After reading the last comments, I do think this is an ECU issue or some electrical wiring issue. One thing I have noticed with my car is the engine gets VERY HOT when the AT light kicks in. My cooling system must be working because my engine temp gauge remains in the normal range. I'm wondering if maybe the transmission is overheating causing the failure? For the odd time that the AT light does not kick in, the engine remains at "normal temperatures". Has anyone else with this issue noticed these symptoms?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Aftert researching the symptoms and solutions, I am convinced replacing the TCM will solve the issue BUT mazda wants more for this part than it would cost me to put in a used tranny...$2400 for just the part. I've read that changing this part out isn't easy either...not a Mazda fan right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Same issue, 07 with 100700miles and throws a P0753 after replacing with the E revision of the TCM for $500... yay... I also swapped the solenoids around to see if it would throw a different code for the malfunctioning solenoid itself, but it keeps saying A which leads me to believe it is a wiring problem, or something totally unrelated and this is just the code that gets thrown as a result. I have the set of solenoids coming in the mail so I guess we will see soon. On another point, the diagrams say A is one of the large ones, but the focus of the same generation seems to eat up the smaller solenoids so I'm not sure which is actually which.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top