Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got back to the airport tonight and picked up my car in the wonderful -18 F weather.. and the CEL light came on. I let it warm up quite a while, didn't go away. After reading other threads, I am guessing it is a similar problem and am not overly concerned about that at this point.

However, there is another issue that I am a bit more concerned about. When I started leaving, I stopped at the parking gate and heard a clunk noise. Sounded like I hit a pot hole or something, didn't really think anything of it.... until I started rolling again. There is a shaking/undulation type feel coming from the front left of the car. It almost feels like the wheel isn't on correctly, or at least what I guess that would feel like. You can go about 20 mph and it isn't horrible, though definitely a bit unnerving not knowing what is causing it. It seems like it is suspension related. Has anyone else encountered anything like this before? There are 1500 miles on the car and the majority of it has been freeway driving.

And another concern is that the only Mazda dealer close to me is not a Mazdaspeed dealer. Will they still be able to work on the car or do I somehow need to transport it 200 miles? I don't feel comfortable driving in its present condition further than a couple miles.

Ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
It may be your tranny mount is about to go, I would check it asap before it falls out and does major damage to your car. Do not drive the car.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
[quote author=lukeg37 link=topic=66832.msg1147510#msg1147510 date=1168668747]
So I got back to the airport tonight and picked up my car in the wonderful -18 F weather.. and the CEL light came on. I let it warm up quite a while, didn't go away. After reading other threads, I am guessing it is a similar problem and am not overly concerned about that at this point.

However, there is another issue that I am a bit more concerned about. When I started leaving, I stopped at the parking gate and heard a clunk noise. Sounded like I hit a pot hole or something, didn't really think anything of it.... until I started rolling again. There is a shaking/undulation type feel coming from the front left of the car. It almost feels like the wheel isn't on correctly, or at least what I guess that would feel like. You can go about 20 mph and it isn't horrible, though definitely a bit unnerving not knowing what is causing it. It seems like it is suspension related. Has anyone else encountered anything like this before? There are 1500 miles on the car and the majority of it has been freeway driving.

And another concern is that the only Mazda dealer close to me is not a Mazdaspeed dealer. Will they still be able to work on the car or do I somehow need to transport it 200 miles? I don't feel comfortable driving in its present condition further than a couple miles.

Ideas?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Like dread said, do not drive the car. Remove the battery box (and airbox for easier access)and check the driver's side mount (see the thread regarding the broken mount for pics). Also check the wheels and lug nuts to be sure they're on tight. If you can't do any of this yourself, then have the car towed to the nearest dealer. Whether they're mazdaspeed authorized or not shouldn't matter in this case.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
this is sad but i dont think he made it home i know its the mount for sure ... looks like he was reding all the post about other stuff be he missed the broken mount post :( good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well just to give a quick update...
The car was towed into the dealer on Saturday and sat in their heated shop until the service shop opened Monday morning. They took care of the CEL (see the CEL thread) and there was no longer any vibration or anything when they test drove it. They did check the mounts and they were tight and looked fine. I was skeptical at first, but its true. Seems to drive fine. Their theory was that maybe some ice got lodged in somewhere and was causing problems. I suppose that is possible since it hasn't been above freezing for quite some time here, and there is a lot of snow and ice around. So I hope thats all it was...

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I guess mazda only designed this car for tropical climates. I have never seen a car have so many problems caused by cold weather.

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=66832.msg1152118#msg1152118 date=1168961144]
I guess mazda only designed this car for tropical climates. I have never seen a car have so many problems caused by cold weather.
[/quote]

The problem he had is the same as everyone else, nothing new. Stop worrying.

G

·
0 Posts
I had a Civic that seemed to collect snow and ice inside the wheels. I had to stop in at the coin-op car wash and use the hot water to clean out the wheels from time to time, otherwise the wheels were horribly out of balance and the car shook uncontrollably. You might try this if you think you have snow accumulation inside the wheels.....that or crawl underneath and chip it out by hand. (yikes)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
[quote author=Boother link=topic=66832.msg1152137#msg1152137 date=1168962098]
[quote author=dread link=topic=66832.msg1152118#msg1152118 date=1168961144]
[/quote]

The problem he had is the same as everyone else, nothing new. Stop worrying.
[/quote]

Who says I am worried, I just think that there are too many cold weather related issues ie window rattling and creaking and cels.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
i think the dealer is covering some thing up .... there is lots of snow and ice here and i dont have that problem cus i fixed my own mount

[quote author=lukeg37 link=topic=66832.msg1152108#msg1152108 date=1168960726]
The car was towed into the dealer on Saturday and sat in their heated shop until the service shop opened Monday morning. They took care of the CEL (see the CEL thread) and there was no longer any vibration or anything when they test drove it. They did check the mounts and they were tight and looked fine. I was skeptical at first, but its true. Seems to drive fine. Their theory was that maybe some ice got lodged in somewhere and was causing problems. I suppose that is possible since it hasn't been above freezing for quite some time here, and there is a lot of snow and ice around. So I hope thats all it was...
[/quote]

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=Mazdaspeed33 link=topic=66832.msg1152446#msg1152446 date=1168970779]
i think the dealer is covering some thing up .... there is lots of snow and ice here and i dont have that problem cus i fixed my own mount
[/quote]

His car was sitting outside for a while at the airport given it plenty of time for ice and snow to buildup on the wheels. Just driving in ice and snow doesn't normally allow buildup in the wheels, it is when parked and the wind blows the snow in.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
you get that when it goes from wet/slushy to very cold...we get these big temp fluctuations where I am and I have had that issue many times on various cars. chopping several pounds of ice out of wheel wells is par for the course during an Ottawa winter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it was definitely snow that accumulated in your wheels. You said that you got to the aiport, so I assume the vehicle was sitting there fore quite awhile. If snow collects inside your wheel wells it has nowhere go when the wheel starts to spin. This causes a major imabalance in the wheels and causes pretty severe vibrations as you get to speeds as low as 20MPH and only gets worse the faster you go. Next time take look at your wheel wells when you let the vehicle sit in a snowstorm...you may have to clean them out after you clean off your windshield...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I was going to suggest that after the car hat sat for an extended time - you just had a slight flat spot on the tire - this is somewhat normal - but the clue to this is it gradually goes away as you continue to drive. Even packed snow in the wheel can throw the balance out..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, that does make a lot of sense. I guess it hadn't really occurred to me since I've lived in Minnesota most of my life and never had a problem before. Either way, things are going smooth now. Thanks for all the help/ideas!
Luke

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
[quote author=Mazdaspeed33 link=topic=66832.msg1152446#msg1152446 date=1168970779]

[quote author=lukeg37 link=topic=66832.msg1152108#msg1152108 date=1168960726]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I have had a near identical experience only without the CEL, big clunk occurred while under full braking the very first time. Was under the car after and could not find the cause. The only symptom I am seeing and it MAY be normal is that when the car is at idle, and you input the steering (Turn the wheel either direction) it inputs the throttle. Idle goes up 100-200 rpm. Anyone know what this is all about? I do not recall having this occur on a vehicle before or on this car prior to the big clunk. It seems that when the car is driven, one can actually feel a sort of pulse input in the steering effort as well, almost as if there is a vacuum input. I would also describe it as ratcheting. So hard to say what is normal and what is not as it has not even made it to 2k miles yet

Checked my mounts. They were all fine. Anybody?

·
Registered
612 Posts
[quote author=dp3 link=topic=66832.msg1231040#msg1231040 date=1172423177]
when the car is at idle, and you input the steering (Turn the wheel either direction) it inputs the throttle. Idle goes up 100-200 rpm.

[/quote]

Power steering pump

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine will bump idle on occasion when i get in or out of the car and grab the wheel. I am not real concerned about it though, atleast not yet.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
[quote author=proclam link=topic=66832.msg1231564#msg1231564 date=1172440785]
[quote author=dp3 link=topic=66832.msg1231040#msg1231040 date=1172423177]
when the car is at idle, and you input the steering (Turn the wheel either direction) it inputs the throttle. Idle goes up 100-200 rpm.

[/quote]

Power steering pump
[/quote]

Yea I know that, but:

so they all input via the pump? Isn't there a way to isolate the pump surge? Is it failure or just the way the marque is. My 06 MZ3 did not ever exhibit this symptom

·
Registered
906 Posts
[quote author=dp3 link=topic=66832.msg1231748#msg1231748 date=1172447303]
My 06 MZ3 did not ever exhibit this symptom
[/quote]

Yes it did, but since the exhaust was so much quieter, you didn't notice.

There is NO issue with this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts