Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at going with 2 (yes two) sets of components that are 5.25 inch and have around 100 - 300 watts RMS, easy right? well heres my problem, i also want to get 2 subs, the same brand as the comps. that can give out between 1000 - 2000 watts RMS, preferrably the higher number, teh only brand ive seen thus far is Audiobahn, but a friend of mine has told me, that Audiobahn isnt very good, at all, but if its the only brand that fits both conditions, its the brand im going to go with!

anyone have any other brands? or know if one of the mentioned names, has something like that? i checked with nothing matching both criteria. :(

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Resonant Engineering makes components as well as bad ass subs.

www.reaudio.com

JL wouldnt be bad either.

www.jlaudio.com

Focal has a few subs, but are mostly geared towards SQ. CDT and Rainbow dont have any subs that Im aware of.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
CDT does offer a line of Subs... not sure how good they are.

http://www.cdtaudio.com/longexcursionsubs.htm
Cast-Basket High Definition Extreme Excursion Series:
Extreme Excursion Sound Quality Subwoofers
Model: HD-1220 12” 20MM X-max Subwoofer

These subs are Dual Voice Coil subwoofers.

Feature:
Piston: Paper+kevlar Sandwich Nomex Honey Cone.
Suspension: NBR Rubber Surround With PLY-C Spider.
Dust Cap: Vaccum Formed Poly With Hot Print Logo
Frame: Red Powder Coating On Die Cast Aluminum Basket.
Voice Coil: 2.5” 4Ohm Voice coil On Thick Kapton Former
W/Braided lead wire.
Terminals: Nickel Plated Dual Push Terminals.
Magnet: Double Stack 140 Oz Motor W/Chrome Magnetic Plates
Power handling: 12” 600 Watt RMS 1200 Watt Max.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Hmm, they dont look too bad. I havent heard anything about them.

As for Diamond, if you start out at the M6 series, you will be fine. But for subs, the TDX is damn fine. Awesome mix of SQ and SQL. I like the Hex series speakers the best, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vaBooM said:
Hmm, they dont look too bad. I havent heard anything about them.

As for Diamond, if you start out at the M6 series, you will be fine. But for subs, the TDX is damn fine. Awesome mix of SQ and SQL. I like the Hex series speakers the best, but they are pricey.
you have the same thoughts as i do, i like the Hex's and the TDX's. :) now what size would be the best for the 3? the S500 or the S600. Now how about the D7 line of amps, i know they are VERY pricey, i emailed em... and for the D401 and the D104 they are 1200 and 1600 respectively. :( the subs 750 and the comps 560. so not bad, for a setup :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
For the depth of music, go with the 600s. 5.25" imo, doesnt fully produce deep midbass.

If it were I, for a 65/35 SQ/SPL, I would team the 600s with 2 TDX 10D4s. I havent played with their amps yet, so cant say much about them.

Ive heard a Honda Accord 2 door with the M Series components in front and back, and 2 ID Max subs sealed, powered by a Memphis 6ch amp. It sounded awesome. Although with the sub control turned up, the IDs could easily outplay the DA components. Still sounded clean as hell. Ive heard a few Hex setups, but they didnt sound as good due to lack of power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
which is better truthfully tho, the S or the A series, the only difference is tweeter material, silk or aluminum?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I personally think silk sounds much cleaner and crisp. Other materials sound sharp (kinda like when you whack something metal).

So my choice would be the S.

·
Registered
301 Posts
sounds like you are looking for the most expensive thing to be the best. Most speakers performance are based on placement, material they're made of, and how you put signal to them. For me, some of the best speakers out are Image Dynamics cx sets, their horns are great too . I also like the infinity perfect sets, but those dont have the same low end tightness as the ID sets. Same for subs, Infinity perfects ive done spl and SQ for years with, but i now use an IDmax (this was before the W7, same basis). The CDT Component sets have great mid-bass but all round sound is about on par with an infinity kappa set. If you're loking for any of that stuff check out mjhsound.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could also check out diamondaudio.com I love the diamond speakers. I think their subs max at 1000 watts but I don't run that much power 300 or so is my limit (still like to hear other things you know).

The speakers sound great in my 3 but my subs are much lower power.

Cheeras :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would suggest checking out the competition organizations and their rules about SPL comps, along with snooping around SPL forums and seeing exactly what goes into building an SPL car. Its not simply putting a bazillion watts into a ton of woofers that can handle it. There is a ton of fabrication, sound deadening, etc that goes into the install to be competitive. Just wanted to give you a heads up :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts