Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought a CDFP so I can even out my fuel curve on my Standback. I've noticed inconsistent fuel delivery from 2.5K up to about 6K, and I hear that these types of pumps will smooth out that delivery.
Just to start the discussion.. here is what I have experienced. WHen I load up on the car early, my throttle plate SLAMS shut and the car bucks all over the place even with a solid tune, and especially under 60 degrees ambient temp. I looked at some logs and noticed the fuel is not being delivered in a smooth curve, but a choppy line... like it is spitting a bit. The audible effect of this is the most apparent... you can actually hear the request from the intake to accommodate the inconsistent fuel!

Soooo... I found a cheap somewhat used CDFP to attempt to fix this issue. It will be my final mod to the car if it doesn't work. I'll just part it out and get a WRX or something which is easier to figure out. What have you guys experienced with these pumps? And I know about the recall on the internals.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im going through the same or similar issue with my standback but i have the cp-e cdfp upgrade i was at cpe for a whole day and we still cant figure out the issue. it was fine when i left there and i got like 20 miles up the interstate and the car started bucking and surgeing when i pressed down hard on throttle i could slowly ease on the throttle and make desired 17psi with out that much of a sputter. i also have the full control flash. Call cpe talk to jordan hes real cool and helpful you can send him your logs and he can assess the issue. but the cdfp is a must do upgrade and your issue sounds similar to mine but i think mines not a fuel issue. Looks like were really close on mods but im runnin a cobb hi floe cat dp and stock turbo

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
at least I can save the 500 bucks for the flash, since that doesn't seem to be the issue. I've sent him logs, and he sent back part of a tune, which I used and it works pretty well above 80 degrees. However, it seems like the ECU is liking my fuel delivery. Once I get the pump on, I'll take off the tune and log some data. I am willing to bet it is 100% fuel related... but not necessarily the tune in my case. I can send you my tune and you can see if it works any better since you already have the pump.

·
Registered
27 Posts
pretty sure there is no in tank fuel pump.. Ive got my stand back issue resolved. Seems the spring on my turbosmart BOV dosnt like to hold the boost that the standback is giving it. i spent all day tweaking the adjustment. seems to be a lot better talked with josh and jordin @ CP-E we decided to go with the HKS SSQV so ill be back up to 17psi by tomorrow. Seems that this has happened on some cx-7s Im pretty convinced that this is my problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=139071.msg3001264#msg3001264 date=1237353080]
at least I can save the 500 bucks for the flash, since that doesn't seem to be the issue. I've sent him logs, and he sent back part of a tune, which I used and it works pretty well above 80 degrees. However, it seems like the ECU is liking my fuel delivery. Once I get the pump on, I'll take off the tune and log some data. I am willing to bet it is 100% fuel related... but not necessarily the tune in my case. I can send you my tune and you can see if it works any better since you already have the pump.
[/quote] Not that i know of. I ran the pump for 500 miles on a stock ECU, NO AP OR STAnDBACK. The pump will not hurt a stock car or even a lightly modded car. If you can afford it do not go with internals. Go with a whole pump from CP-E It helped my car alot at the low rpms and the times when the cars not boosting, I/e in traffic or around town

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
[quote author=LI Speed3 link=topic=139071.msg3002654#msg3002654 date=1237412757]
pretty sure there is no in tank fuel pump.. Ive got my stand back issue resolved. Seems the spring on my turbosmart BOV dosnt like to hold the boost that the standback is giving it. i spent all day tweaking the adjustment. seems to be a lot better talked with josh and jordin @ CP-E we decided to go with the HKS SSQV so ill be back up to 17psi by tomorrow. Seems that this has happened on some cx-7s Im pretty convinced that this is my problem.
[/quote]

Of course there is an in-tank fuel pump.

I don't think that it is the issue, however.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
[quote author=LI Speed3 link=topic=139071.msg3002672#msg3002672 date=1237413442]
[quote author=diablospeed link=topic=139071.msg3001264#msg3001264 date=1237353080]
[/quote] Not that i know of. I ran the pump for 500 miles on a stock ECU, NO AP OR STAnDBACK. The pump will not hurt a stock car or even a lightly modded car. If you can afford it do not go with internals. Go with a whole pump from CP-E It helped my car alot at the low rpms and the times when the cars not boosting, I/e in traffic or around town
[/quote]

That statement is a bit unfounded. I have the internals which I did myself and the fuel pressure is exact same as anyone who has the Cp-e. There is no difference if done correctly.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have bought a complete pump... but I agree that if done correctly, there is not difference. I am just looking forward to some full boost. I also misspoke earlier... I am running 17 PSI with my reworked K04, and spinning tires at half throttle all the way through 2nd. This is only when it is warm though! I just deleted my logs, but I want to get some new ones anyways, because I have modified the tune. I'll post them within the next day if I can remember to record them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
[quote author=dabears2k link=topic=139071.msg3002678#msg3002678 date=1237413626]
[quote author=LI Speed3 link=topic=139071.msg3002672#msg3002672 date=1237413442]
[/quote]

That statement is a bit unfounded. I have the internals which I did myself and the fuel pressure is exact same as anyone who has the Cp-e. There is no difference if done correctly.
[/quote]
Whats up matt? Yeah I suppose your right on the internals I personally feel safer with a new pump. Since we have 2 pumps wouldnt it make sense that we would have plenty of fuel in factory trim, without having to go through all of this, In theory anyways. Do they warranty the internals by any chance? I know a lot of guys that have them the problem is they seem to be hard to find. But its been a while since i checked into it so they may be more available now. Hows your Front mount holdin up? yours went a lot better then mine did.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This cdfp internals upgrade sure is getting a lot of different results. This is one of the last parts I am looking to add to compliment the rest of my power mods, but at this point with the recall going on, just waiting to see when the new parts come out and how they perform. Seems like there's other variables involved with using this pump upgrade. Some say it's working some say it's not. I want to make sure this will do the job before I spend the $$$...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The PG internals actually flow more than the cp-e pump. Unfortunately, the cpe pump is backordered until hell freezes over, and the PG internals have been recalled.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=smakdown61 link=topic=139071.msg3004163#msg3004163 date=1237475022] and the PG internals have been recalled.[/quote]

But they should be back out pretty quickly from what I read.

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote author=smakdown61 link=topic=139071.msg3004163#msg3004163 date=1237475022]
The PG internals actually flow more than the cp-e pump. Unfortunately, the cpe pump is backordered until hell freezes over, and the PG internals have been recalled.
[/quote]

I just got my CP-E pump from SU not too long ago, and installed it. I didn't think they were massively backordered at the time.

The internals flow more? What cc/min rate do the internals flow versus the whole CP-E pump?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts