Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a difference between getting a catback and just going to a local shop and make the pipes bigger down there? isnt it essentially the same?

·
Registered
948 Posts
A "catback" is a new exhaust system that replaces the entire factory exhaust system after the catalytic converter, including pipes, resonators, muffler, and tail pipe.

I have no idea what you'd be replacing with just bigger pipes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i know, the question is doesnt a catback basically just increase your exhaust pipe from stock to 2.25 or 2.5 or however u want it? im honestly sorry if it sounds stupid, but isnt what it basically does?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Eh...Yes and no. the primary point in putting an aftermarket exhaust on is a free flowing exhaust via a better muffler. You can certainly increase the sixe of your pipe but I would not recommand going any larger than 2.25 inches. Any more than that and you risk losing low end power for high end gain.

·
Registered
224 Posts
the catback DOES NOT remove the cat. A cat back is defined as an exhaust that replaces everything AFTER the cat. Not only will removing the cat cause a CEL it is illegal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well guys from what I have learned about this engine is that a cat back really is not neccesary intil other mods are done like new cams, headers and things like that on this engine. I am not sure about the 3 but draxas and racing beat both said there is really not enough room for improvment on the mazda 6i exhaust thats why they realeased a axleback system. Draxas will release a midpipe for their system when the time for a larger pipe is needed. This might apply to the 3 also but I am not sure I would ask DRAXAS what they think

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cat systems are also tested/tuned to provide as much HP as possible. the guy at the local shop probably doesn't have a dyno to test his cat-back systems to see what type of gains, over stock, he can achieve. All he will probably do is take the muffler/resignator you want to buy and bend the exhaust to fit the car.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
BIGNASTY said:
Cat systems are also tested/tuned to provide as much HP as possible. the guy at the local shop probably doesn't have a dyno to test his cat-back systems to see what type of gains, over stock, he can achieve. All he will probably do is take the muffler/resignator you want to buy and bend the exhaust to fit the car.
Exactly....although there is nothing wrong with a shop exhaust, but nothing is better than a tuned and tested mandrel bent exhaust. Since I wan the most power out of my car I'll stick with the tested and dyno proven cat-backs.

--Herb--

·
Registered
27 Posts
budgy said:
I dont think removing the cat will give this car much power anyway would not be worth the cashola.
I don't know that much about the motor in the 3 yet, but the results of a cat back exhaust vary from car to car, some will see as much as a 10% gain (mazda rx7, 3rd gen) and others might not see any change at all. One of you made a good point (2k1_bug). If you are not going to do the intake system at the same time, there is no point. What is the point of breathing out better if you can't breath in better? none.

If you are going to do any sort of racing, I would bet that there is power to be had with the cat back mod. Maybe not a lot, but something is better than nothing. :p

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hehee why are we talking bout removing the cat? wouldn't it be cheaper if we bought our own resonator and muffler and have a shop just bend the pipes for us and change the pipping to 2.25 or 2.5 inches? becuz thats what Magnaflow is doing right? replaceing the pipes, resonators, muffler and tailpipe. would there a huge difference in gains if a shop did it? what would be the difference between the Magnaflow catback "system" and a shops custom catback "system"

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
hehee why are we talking bout removing the cat? wouldn't it be cheaper if we bought our own resonator and muffler and have a shop just bend the pipes for us and change the pipping to 2.25 or 2.5 inches? becuz thats what Magnaflow is doing right? replaceing the pipes, resonators, muffler and tailpipe. would there a huge difference in gains if a shop did it? what would be the difference between the Magnaflow catback "system" and a shops custom catback "system"
the difference is crush bent to mandrel bends...and a very nice finish.

You can get a cel eliminator and I bet this car without the cat or cat would still pass a sniffer. I think there is power within the cats and will find out as soon as a race header is out. And no you don't need to do the exhaust and intake at the same time, it would be nice. But you will still get good gains you can feel with either one.

---Herb---

·
Registered
16,597 Posts
Gunnar said:
budgy said:
I dont think removing the cat will give this car much power anyway would not be worth the cashola.
I don't know that much about the motor in the 3 yet, but the results of a cat back exhaust vary from car to car, some will see as much as a 10% gain (mazda rx7, 3rd gen) and others might not see any change at all. One of you made a good point (2k1_bug). If you are not going to do the intake system at the same time, there is no point. What is the point of breathing out better if you can't breath in better? none.

If you are going to do any sort of racing, I would bet that there is power to be had with the cat back mod. Maybe not a lot, but something is better than nothing. :p
Those cars that gain 10% get that much because they are turbocharged engines...I could also name a couple cars of the top of my head that lose power when changing the exhaust and all of them are small 4 cylinders like the Mazda 3 engine.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
budgy said:
Gunnar said:
budgy said:

Those cars that gain 10% get that much because they are turbocharged engines...I could also name a couple cars of the top of my head that lose power when changing the exhaust and all of them are small 4 cylinders like the Mazda 3 engine.
I'd be interested in knowing what those cars are?

--Herb--

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.