Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the 2 versions, one with a cat and one without. If I get the one without I assume you keep the stock cat in there? I have not looked under the car to see how it is setup but the catted DP looks like the cat is weilded into the peice.

I would rather get a non catted one because it's cheaper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What sort of issues am I looking at if I leave off the cat? If any. I don't want it to be really loud, I want to be able to pass inspection (I am in NY)

·
Registered
688 Posts
[quote author=i love jdm hoes link=topic=139208.msg2999530#msg2999530 date=1237301143]
All you need to know is here :
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=102188.0

If you run catless in NY you will fail emissions/inspection. You will get more odor coming from the exhaust and it will be louder.
[/quote]

While I do not condone running catless, you will not necessarily fail an inspection in NY because of it. In much (if not most) of NY, there is no emission testing at all.

http://www.nysdmv.com/vehsafe.htm#einspect

·
Registered
368 Posts
[quote author=Muppetz3 link=topic=139208.msg2999489#msg2999489 date=1237300044]
I see the 2 versions, one with a cat and one without. If I get the one without I assume you keep the stock cat in there? I have not looked under the car to see how it is setup but the catted DP looks like the cat is weilded into the peice.

I would rather get a non catted one because it's cheaper.
[/quote]Please do yourself a favor and do some research on this subject. There's a bunch of it available. Sounds like you don't have a clue yet as to what this DP/RP does. No offense meant but, really do some homework for your own good before you start slapping parts on your car that your not even sure what they do. Start off by getting under your car to see what's there to start with.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Sorry but anybody that runs catless without testing to be sure they're running clean is a waste of airspace on our planet. When I put on my racepipe I went to the closest shop that does emission repairs and had the car sniffed. It was all good. Otherwise I'd have put it back on. Nobody has a right to pollute just cause they want to.

(off soapbox)

·
Registered
688 Posts
[quote author=Ryz link=topic=139208.msg3001519#msg3001519 date=1237379364]
Sorry but anybody that runs catless without testing to be sure they're running clean is a waste of airspace on our planet. When I put on my racepipe I went to the closest shop that does emission repairs and had the car sniffed. It was all good. Otherwise I'd have put it back on. Nobody has a right to pollute just cause they want to.

(off soapbox)
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.

It's also nice to hear that the car is still clean with the second cat removed. Even though we have no emissions testing here, I still wouldn't want to be contributing to the ecological disaster that we have currently created for ourselves.

·
Registered
81 Posts
[quote author=hilmar2k link=topic=139208.msg3000937#msg3000937 date=1237342555]
[quote author=i love jdm hoes link=topic=139208.msg2999530#msg2999530 date=1237301143]

If you run catless in NY you will fail emissions/inspection. You will get more odor coming from the exhaust and it will be louder.
[/quote]

While I do not condone running catless, you will not necessarily fail an inspection in NY because of it. In much (if not most) of NY, there is no emission testing at all.

[/quote]

Even if you dont have emmsions you WILL FAIL visual inspection for having no cat. :redcard:

it is a federal offense to remove any part of the emmisions system on the car.

·
Registered
788 Posts

(off soapbox)
[/quote]
crybaby

catless is the way to go if you want to make power.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
[quote author=GriM link=topic=139208.msg3002031#msg3002031 date=1237394475]

(off soapbox)
[/quote]
crybaby

[/quote]

clearly....

The difference between the catted and the catless is AT ABSOLUTE MOST 5hp. I'll lose my 5hp and avoid a cel/keep the air a bit cleaner.

·
Registered
688 Posts
[quote author=BlackSpeed link=topic=139208.msg3001781#msg3001781 date=1237387483]
[quote author=hilmar2k link=topic=139208.msg3000937#msg3000937 date=1237342555]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Even if you dont have emmsions you WILL FAIL visual inspection for having no cat. :redcard:

it is a federal offense to remove any part of the emmisions system on the car.
[/quote]

That is simply not true. I have yet to have any of my cars inspected in NY and have anyone actually do a visual inspection. I removed my second cat and passed inspection 3 weeks ago without any issues whatsoever.

Again, I do not condone running catless, but it is by no means an automatic fail in NY. Outside of NYC, they simply do not test or even worry about emissions. I am sure there are shops out there doing inspections that will check, but they are few and far between.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes.....there are obviously garages out there that only care about taking your $50(or whatever the price) and could care less about rules, regulations, and your safety.

This does not change the rules however. It is a FACT, that removing the cat is a federal offense, and you SHOULD fail inspection.

So....if you want to take the chance on passing inspection and not getting a CEL, go ahead and go catless.

also when you get the DP witha a cat....its a high flow cat and there is little difference in gains, if any at all

·
Registered
452 Posts
Running turboxs downpipe/racepipe with no cats, loving every minute of it.

While the lobbyist for "muscle cars" and big v8's and v10's with open headers are having fun, i'm doing the same and polluting less.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
catless, you running a chance of turbo smoking. i'm on my second turbo after catless dp. go catted. AND you will smell it. when i stop, it smells in the car, my friend gets a headache.

stop the pullution bs. China is the biggest pollutant in the world. Two, your car does not contribute to "global warming", so relax. do some research.
+1 on the v8, school busses etc....

I would still recommend catted.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why dont you run stainless steel works V2 DP.. You can get a cat & straight pipe- Then you can pick & choose which you want to run & when........ I just got mine lastnight, great quality.. I'm going to install it tonight w/o the cat- I got the cat to switch in for emission purposes though. Its also pretty decently priced compared to a lot of the DP on market for our cars..

·
Registered
27 Posts
run a cat definitely... I lived in both San Diego and NY Both have emissions testing. Plus no cats smell up the cabin. No major gains from going catless

·
Registered
452 Posts
Go catless. Less restrictions the better. Keep your stock downpipe for emissions, even though it has a cat, you won't pass cali emissions anyways.

Turbo seals going bad with catless is bullshit. The cat is simply concealing the smoke from bad seals.

You're almost robbing the car of 10hp with the catted pipe..

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
[quote author=GriM link=topic=139208.msg3002031#msg3002031 date=1237394475]
[quote author=Ryz link=topic=139208.msg3001519#msg3001519 date=1237379364]crybaby

[/quote]

Yeah, you're really going to feel that 5-10 hp. Facts seem to elude people.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts