Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike some of the people on this board, the Penzoil Platinum oil costs the same as Castrol Syntec here in my area. Since Penzoil Platinum doesn't have the price advantage anymore, which do you guys recomend? Castrol Syntec or Penzoil Platinum?

also, is it true that Mobil 1 is no longer a true synthetic?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
If the prices are the exact same, I don't think you can go wrong with Platinum or Syntec. For me personally, I'm a Platinum fan.

As for Mobil1, there's some data out there that shows Mobil1 (certain grades) are probably using some Group III. A lot of ex-Mobil1 users will not buy M1 anymore because of this and the fact their prices are getting ridiculous these days. No one wants to pay a premium for some Group III oil when you can get Platinum for as low as $1.99/qt. I used to be a M1 user and it served me well. However, I won't buy it anymore because Platinum has proven (through UOA's) to be just as good, or even better.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Syntec -vs- Pennzoil for the same price... it's pretty much a toss-up. They're both solid oils, either one will suit you fine.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Castrol or Mobil 1 only, don't get the penn state or quaker state stuff, The Pennsylvanian and northern oils have a high wax content and leave a film residue inside the engine

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71658.msg1266170#msg1266170 date=1173841297]
Castrol or Mobil 1 only, don't get the penn state or quaker state stuff, The Pennsylvanian and northern oils have a high wax content and leave a film residue inside the engine
[/quote]

Did the aliens passed this wives' tale to you? :huh:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71658.msg1266170#msg1266170 date=1173841297]
[/quote]

What year are you living in? I hope there aren't any members here that actually take your advice because it couldn't be farther from the truth. Seriously, what are your sources for this inaccurate information?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[/quote]

You might want to check http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php to see if your statement is anywhere close to being accurate.

Darryl

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd also use the P.P. I've heard nothing but good things about it being about the best value for the money. Don't buy into those old wives tales about Pennzoil being crap, they're owned by Shell now, so if quality ever did suffer, it has surely been rectified.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I'd get Shell Rotella Synthetic if they made it in 5w20. It's only $13 per 5qt jug and was a real bargain when used as my motorcycle motor oil.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I work with guys that race and we tear down motors every week. It leaves a waxy blackish film inside. Thats always from the Q High Revs or similar. But whatever, for 95% of the general public oil is oil.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Lets see, race cars using Pennzoil & Quaker State. Maybe they should use oils more appropriate for their application!

The Mazda3 isn't a race car. Regardless, Pennzoil & Quaker State are good oils, no matter what false information you're spreading.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I personally wont use Penzoil. When buddies of mine work in shops. They woudl open motors and the ones full of sludge and crap they woudl always know people or the biggest problem was penzoil. They always ask the customers. and 90 percent of the time at least said yes they did. and they woudl show the people what it left behind.

Another friend of mien worked on skunks drag ntegra. They were bored and spent time on the dynos seeign which motor oil produced the best hp and still protection. Mobil 1 was there best oil. Royal purple wasnt all is was craked up to be in ther payign around either.

ut thats all personla prefrence and noticeing. Not sayign its fact either.

I have used castrol, in my high milage cars, i ised the high milage. SOmetimes with an aftermaket substitue for 1 of the quarts to make the oil last longer. I think it was the lucas oil. Damn stuff takes 10 minutes ot get hte bottle ot empty. and it helped out.
I know went the vavoline way and happy with it. But in the mazda i havent have enough miles tfor an oil change yet. But dealer will do that. And castrol, (with frem filters) have been used by us for many many years. And no engine failers whatsoever for us. Well the onyl engine failre was do to overheating! and 1 for suckign up water. But never anything from oil.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=71658.msg1268735#msg1268735 date=1173958766]
Lets see, race cars using Pennzoil & Quaker State. Maybe they should use oils more appropriate for their application!

The Mazda3 isn't a race car. Regardless, Pennzoil & Quaker State are good oils, no matter what false information you're spreading.
[/quote]All oils are good these days, some are just better. I'm not talking all out race cars but street cars with fully built motors. We race at VIR, Road America, Road Atlanta etc..

Apparently I'm not completely full of shit if Aliennation knows what I'm talking about

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71658.msg1269293#msg1269293 date=1173977636]
I'm not talking all out race cars but street cars with fully built motors. We race at VIR, Road America, Road Atlanta etc..
[/quote]

Lets see, race cars using Pennzoil & Quaker State. Maybe they should use oils more appropriate for their application![/quote]

How are race cars and "cars with fully built motors" used for racing different??? Don't they both see some pretty extreme conditions? I'll reiterate that there are oils better suited for these kinds of applications (ie - German Castrol, Redline, etc.). Bashing Pennzoil & Quaker State because they don't hold up well in a race engine is ludicrous.

As Darryl already pointed out, feel free to post your thoughts or ask some questions on BobIsTheOilGuy.com where there are plenty of oil fanatics & tribologists (people who study the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion.) who I'm sure could enlighten you & aliennation on the subject.

·
Registered
797 Posts
[quote author=mshu7 link=topic=71658.msg1269301#msg1269301 date=1173977837]
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71658.msg1269293#msg1269293 date=1173977636]
I'm not talking all out race cars but street cars with fully built motors. We race at VIR, Road America, Road Atlanta etc..
[/quote]

Lets see, race cars using Pennzoil & Quaker State. Maybe they should use oils more appropriate for their application![/quote]

How are race cars and "cars with fully built motors" used for racing different??? Don't they both see some pretty extreme conditions? I'll reiterate that there are oils better suited for these kinds of applications (ie - German Castrol, Redline, etc.). Bashing Pennzoil & Quaker State because they don't hold up well in a race engine is ludicrous.

As Darryl already pointed out, feel free to post your thoughts or ask some questions on BobIsTheOilGuy.com where there are plenty of oil fanatics & tribologists (people who study the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion.) who I'm sure could enlighten you & aliennation on the subject.
[/quote]

I never said i was right. Just experiance that i have and came around. Unless i kow 100% on something. then i wont tell someone they are wrong!
Just noted that i was sayng i was right! Just my experiances. Or have heard. Just like reading. But Like i said in the post, its not fact!! Opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts