Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started happening yesterday and is getting really really annoying. I get in the car, start it up and the passenger air bag off sign lights up and doesn't turn off. Weird, because I never turned it off. I buckle in, turning the seatbelt sign off, and start driving. Not 2 minutes later the seatbelt sign will come back on and I can click/unclick all day long to my hearts content and it doesn't have any affect. A few seconds to a couple minutes later the seatbelt sign will go back off and so with the air bag sign (like they are linked), and then a few seconds to a couple minutes later they will come back on.

Off, On, Off, On, continuous the entire time I'm driving and nothing I do or try affects the seemingly random pattern.

It's driving me nuts! 700 miles, no CEL.

I should never have felt blessed for the car's incredible lack of rattles as it's only natural that something else would go wrong.

Any ideas?
-Carraig

S.Silver MS3 GT

G

·
are you sitting anything in the passenger seat? Duffle bag? Bowling ball? If there's no weight in the seat, the airbag light should be off. If you put an object weighing under 50lbs, the airbag light will illuminate, as the car is guessing that you've put a child or child seat in the passenger seat. I'm not sure about this part, but it may also be assuming that the object in the seat is a human being that has not buckled the seatbelt, triggering the seatbelt light.

G

·
Well, next time you go somewhere, put nothing in the seat and see if anything happens. If you still get craziness from the lights, the weight sensor in the seat may be bad. As far as notebooks go, it sounds like it may be a bit too sensitive. It took a couple bags of groceries to trip mine.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
[quote author=carraig link=topic=68319.msg1179427#msg1179427 date=1170280539]
If it's tripped, shouldn't the light at least be consistent?
[/quote]

If it's malfunctioning, probably not. I've bucked up a 40lb rim and my lights never gone on. POS.

·
Registered
906 Posts
A 4L jug of milk and 2L of OJ set off my Airbag and seatbelt light. The seatbelt light will come on for the passenger as well as the driver, it just doesn't beep for the passenger.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My 16lb bowling ball with bag set it off.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Damn, I came here thinking something was seriously wrong with the car. It's probably just an electrical or sensor problem. Take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
yeah there is no problem. just read your manual under the safety section. pretty sure it says something about that. but anyway, if there is something in the seat it will turn on the seat belt light thinking the passenger has not buckled up. as far as the air bag sensor, it is not as responsive as the seat belt warning, it takes a little bit more time for it to turn off. just don't put anything in the seat and you'll see. and the reason why it might be going on and off is your notebooks are probably right on the border line of sensor activation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the stuff off and sure enough the lights started behaving. It appears that I just have a very sensitive (<5lbs) sensor.

Thanks for the help,
Carraig

S.Silver MS3 GT

·
Registered
32 Posts
You must have nothing on the seat. Keep everything off of the seat and drive it for a few days before you waist a trip to the dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts