Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i FINALLY got my cargo net from the dealer today...but i'm not sure how to install it. the package contains instructions but they are not too clear, and the car's manual certainly is no help.

anyone out there have a cargo net and care to share their installation wisdom?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I'd like to add a cargo net to my trunk too.

I have the cargo net from my previous vehicle, what type of hooks do I need to purchase (and ideas where) to install the cargo net? Would it require any holes or drilling? If so, I think I can live without!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
That is one expensive drill bit! I guess you can just return it after you are done with it though :)

It doesn't seem to hard or dangerous to do yourself. I might give it a try.

·
Registered
773 Posts
So the accessories are finally in? I'll get my dealer to install my wheel locks and cargo net when I go in for my first oil change in a month.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I thought the cargo net for the Mazda3 draped over the bottom of the trunk and then you just put things under it. Example:

Sorry for such a small pic.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The "flat" cargo net is for hatch back (5 doors) and the "vertical" one is for sedan (4 doors). Sedan do not have the build in hooks for the cargo net.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think I like the flat one better.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Are there tie down hooks in the cargo area of the HB? I can't find any pictures w/ good enough quality to tell.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the cargo net half-way installed today (top two hooks in, but not the bottom ones). popped the 4 plastic things out no problem, but couldn't remove trunk panel.

the instructions say to drill the holes out for the top two hooks--that's unnecessary, i got them screwed into place by hand.

then the instructions say to put the bolt hooks through the lower holes, no drilling necessary--have no idea how to do this. the holes are there, but i cannot get enough space clear behind the panel to put the rubber washer thingy onto the bolt. this suggests it's necessary to remove the trunk panel, which i couldn't do...any suggestions?

as it is, i can still drop things into the net to keep them from sliding all over the trunk, so that's nice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same installation issues as freston. The two top clips are screwed in by hand with no drilling. The two bottom clips are require the use of the rubber washer but are nearly impossible to put in the existing holes for them.

I'm going to try and remove the panel this weekend. I hope I don't break any clips by accident. Wish me luck...

·
Registered
105 Posts
cannot get enough space clear behind the panel to put the rubber washer thingy onto the bolt. [/quote]

For anyone else out there trying to install this thing, you don't have to remove the expansion nut (rubber washer thingy). The idea is to just push it through the plastic and then the bracket and start to tighten it. As you turn the hook it compresses the rubber nut causing it to theoretically expand preventing it from being pulled out.

I say "theoretically" as mine hasn't managed to stay in place for more than a day or two. I've never put anything heavy in the cargo net but the bottom two hooks always pull out. It's a crappy mounting system. If I ever get the inclination I might drop by the hardware store and see if there is a more substantial expansion nut I can use but I have a feeling it's gonna stay bunched up in the corner of the trunk for years to come.

vermin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally I believe they mean drill out the bottom holes a little, not the top ones. The little rubber anchor will go in snug, then as you tighten it, it will swell/expand, but not as a full weight anchor, but more a location anchor. Good luck. I just finished putting mine in.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
[quote author=bluntman link=topic=2600.msg996203#msg996203 date=1160162144]
Boy, this thread is really old!
[/quote]

Ppl are using the search & helping out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts