Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

did anyone visit www.carbuyingtips.com? when my girlfriend bought her 2001 nissan sentra 2.0se two years ago, we had the invoice price from www.carcostcanada.com, a site referred by the www.carbuyingtips.com (cause this web host is in usa), and got an attractive discount.

i m in the market to buy

mazda 3, GT trim silver with GFX & leather.

i m also considering to buy the invoice cost from www.carcostcanada.com again. does anyone want to share the cost with me?

there are two website like www.carcostcanada.com for canadina buyer referred by www.carbuyingtips.com, but i have no idea how good they are.

any comments is welcome!

i will post the same message at www.protege5.com in case some people who are also in the market for mazda 3 do not know this website!

:lol:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
As a rule of thumb I try to get b/w 93-97% of MSRP on a new car - I settle for 95% usually. Forget about this rule unless you're buying in a few minths - right now discounts are not to be expected.

Carcostcanada will tell you the same.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I would never pay more than $500 over invoice.

That being said, I get invoice/below invoice on any American car (plus Nissan), so there's only a few brands out there I'd even have to think about negotiating on (BMW/Mini, Toyota/Lexus, VW/Audi, Honda/Acura... that's it).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi dinu01,

so i guess carcostcanada will not help me save a bit more unless i decide to buy the car 6 months away from now.... :-(

hi mz6zomzoom,

thanks for your input...actually fro my girlfriend's sentra, we did get a good deal.

i think i will still spend the money to get the invoice price from carcostcaanda, and see how much each dealer makes on top of the cost. but before that i will try the auto brokers around here.

:roll:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Edmunds.com always has MSRP and invoice prices. It's an American site so the absolute dollar figures will be different from Canadian, but I figure the percentage markup will be similar if not the same.

Mz 3 Sport
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/mazda/3/100364240/prices.html?tid=edmunds.n.mipmake.pricetable.num1.1.mazda*

Mz 3i Sedan (US equivalent of Canadian GS sedan)
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/mazda/3/100364212/prices.html?tid=edmunds.n.mipmake.pricetable.num2.1.mazda*

Mz 3s Sedan(US equivalent of Canadian GT sedan)
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/mazda/3/100364219/prices.html?tid=edmunds.n.mipmake.pricetable.num3.1.mazda*

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
One thing to keep in mind guys:

Not only are US and Candian prices different, even when you account for the exchange rate, but the dealing, incentives and rebates one can get in the US along with a lower interet rate is usually not seen in Canada.

That's why I said that 95% of MSRP is a # to shoot for here.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
dinu01 said:
One thing to keep in mind guys:

Not only are US and Candian prices different, even when you account for the exchange rate, but the dealing, incentives and rebates one can get in the US along with a lower interet rate is usually not seen in Canada.

That's why I said that 95% of MSRP is a # to shoot for here.
95% of MSRP, eh?

Hmmm... otherwise, don't deal?

Why, in that case, my 16,195 GX would only cost me 15300! :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I wouldn't pay more - honestly.

Wait till supplies are up and 3s are all over the lot (like the 6s now) and if you REALLY want to buy and are serious, make sure you tell your sales rep how much you want to pay from the start (ok start w/93% or so) and at 95% of MSRP, it's either time to sign or ask them to see their sales manager one last time and come back with the FINAL offer.

As long as you treat ppl well and are honest w/them, they will too.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
dinu01 said:

Wait till supplies are up and 3s are all over the lot (like the 6s now) and if you REALLY want to buy and are serious, make sure you tell your sales rep how much you want to pay from the start (ok start w/93% or so) and at 95% of MSRP, it's either time to sign or ask them to see their sales manager one last time and come back with the FINAL offer.

Very good advice!

At 93% of MSRP my configuration would cost me about $18,600 USD which is about $50 over invoice, and at 95% of MSRP, the cost would be about $19,000 USD which is about $450 above invoice. I don't think by March I would be able to get the $50 over invoice deal, but $450 over invoice seems like a fair offer. :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
dinu01 said:

Start with 93%, eh?... Wow... maybe I COULD afford the car?
Then again, do you really think dealers would want to make the sale at that price?? ... that seems kinda low? too close to invoice?...

cuz that's like 1000 CDN dollars off MSRP. :p

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you catch the dealer at the right time, they'll certainly consider it. Like, of course if you walked in there right now, they'd say no, but in come the 05s and they're eager to get the 04s out.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Or do what I did in 01 - waited until the last day of June (end of the mth and end of Q2) - gotta meet those targets, so they gotta deal a little more :)

I could have bought then or waited a few more days; to me it doesn't matter, but to the dealership it does, so they should be a little more flexible...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
ah okay :) I'll keep that in mind for sure.
thanks folks :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good advice dinu. I think it works well if you pay cash, but not with financing. Financing with the dealer is kinna difficult to make negotiation on the price liked it. But the quarterly end purchasing is surely good advices.

But wait, question: Every industry has its own fiscal year. What is the year end or quarterly end time of car dealers? Is it the same as calender year, so that March, June, and September are the quarterly period?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts