Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word if/when this might be available? I think it will look good in the titanium hatch.

·
Registered
296 Posts
BuffaloZoom said:
Any word if/when this might be available? I think it will look good in the titanium hatch.
I'm car dumbie, what advantage does the carbon fiber hood gave to a car?

I saw it on a lot of civic, and it doesn't really impress me.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Its the most expensive way to shave 20 pounds off a car, and make your car unsafe in a head on collision.

EDIT: I do like the way they look on certain vehicles though, so sometimes there not always a waste of money.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yea, and I think it's played out. What with all these riced cars with black-painted hoods.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Absinthe said:
One of the answers is: To be different :nsmile:
If I ever change the hood to CF, I might as well change the whole chassis to CF. Two-tone looks odd.
I have seen an S-2000 with the whole body shell converted to CF, cost a lot. And also a guy with an NSX who did the same thing all unpainted dry carbon, cost a lot more. :D

Oddly enough the guy with the S-2000 only saved about 130 pounds, 130 pounds for like $13, 000....... :shock: I think his engine is stock too.

CF is waaayyyy to expensive dollars/benefit ratio.

·
Registered
581 Posts
beyonddc said:
I'm car dumbie, what advantage does the carbon fiber hood gave to a car?
A carbon fiber hood is lighter in weight, than the regular stock hood as stated. But the weight savings are small ( probably 10 lbs. to 20 lbs ). I don't see any real advantage to having just a carbon fiber hood unless other parts of the car are also going to be replaced with carbon fiber or other lighter materials.

And if you like the two tone look and don't mind that you may get the occasional "rice" comment, carbon fiber looks really cool because of the fiber weave pattern. It tends to shimmer a bit under the right lights.

The disadvantages of carbon fiber is that it's expensive. It also doesn't crumple like metal. You just can't "bang it" back into shape. So any damage to carbon fiber body panels will cost more to fix it. Also, working with carbon fiber sometimes requires some protective equipment. Cutting or drilling into carbon fiber requires that you wear a something to protect your eyes, nose, mouth (and probably your skin) from carbon fiber shards. It can be just like fiberglass and very nasty for you if you don't protect yourself.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Unless you plan on making the money back on the professional race tour with your 3, I don't see why you'd shell out the bucks to buy a CF hood... they're complete rice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mmmm... tasty

That rice looks tasty!

Whatever on the anti-rice bandwagon. I bought the 3 cause it was pre-riced. Stay in your denial, but i got a car with really pretty tail lights, xenons, under body spoilers, and it stands WAY out there in the crowd.

I personally am intrigued by the two tone idea. I seriously doubt they will make a CF hatch for the back so more than the hood seems like nonsense. I wonder if anyone has done a photochop...

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think rice involves certain elements of bad taste, which is subjective. So if the two-tone look is what you want go for it. I doubt there are many people who will say that the tail lights, Xenons and side sills on the Mazda3 is factory rice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
doubt there are many people who will say that the tail lights, Xenons and side sills on the Mazda3 is factory rice.
well it sorta is... they are designed to give a sporty appearance without adding any function but adding weight. I like the way the mazda3i 5-door with no sport package looks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
CF Hoods are NOT rice. Just because every idiot in the world puts one on his car does not make it rice. There is an actual purpose to it (20lbs weight reduction will save u .010 seconds which is very important in actual racing).

It's just like there is an actual purpose for a large wing, but most people who have them never take the car to an actual race track where it becomes practical.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
budgy said:
A large wing on a FWD car with only 160 horsepower will not help us one bit even if we took our cars to the track.
Especially on a hatch! That would look hilarious!

·
Registered
396 Posts
cf hoods are not really rice.
but its not like it does anything significant.
20lbs is nothing. someone would be better off just saving the money
and either take out the spare tire... or just go to the gym and burn it off. imo, cf hoods are not rice, but anyone who buys them is wasting money.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts