Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestion on what TO DO and what NOT TO DO when having a car wash on a new car?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
don't ever take it through a car wash that's not touchless! Other than that I don't know.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
yeah, skip the automated car washes that use brushes.
those brushes rip away the clear coating.

·
Registered
396 Posts
if you're washing by hand: make sure everything you use, such as towels or chamois', are clean. if they're dirty, they could easily scratch the surface of your car.
try not to wipe down the car in circular motions, this causes swirl marks. these are especially noticible on black cars.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So what kind of stroke is preferred? I always see those marks on my dad's car, and that's kinda what's keeping me from getting one that color... even though the black Mz3 looks amazing...

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Go in the same pattern the car was painted. *Front to back* That will help keep the scratches from showing. Also wax in the same pattern.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard that using the high pressure water gun to wash the car will do harm to the car. Is that true?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I think so, am not sure. I use those high pressure water guns on my car (it's black) and am not having too many problems. The only place with any swirl marks is my spoiler, and they were there when I bought the car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well I jsut washed her sunday and....holy crap she wouldn't come clean !!!!

I use a very rich car soap and I'd wash a door, rinse and by the time I was done with the next door I'd look back and I could see dried dirt on the door I'd just washed, I had to wash each section 3 times just to get her clean and it was just a thin coat of dust. I'm wondering what kind of coat of chemicals the dealer used to prep her before I got there.

I dont' like using an automated car wash because the high pressure can grind the dirt and stuff thats on your car into the paint, it's always a good idea to use low pressure water when washing your car, an open ended hose is good, or at least a light mist, it's better to soak your car clean than to spray it clean. at least for the initial prewash rinse off. I use microfiber cloths to wash and to dry, terry cloth is good as well, but then again I'm a freak and like to wash my car once a week, maybe once every two weeks if I'm feeling lazy.)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nuvada said:

I use a very rich car soap and I'd wash a door, rinse and by the time I was done with the next door I'd look back and I could see dried dirt on the door I'd just washed, I had to wash each section 3 times just to get her clean and it was just a thin coat of dust. I'm wondering what kind of coat of chemicals the dealer used to prep her before I got there.

I dont' like using an automated car wash because the high pressure can grind the dirt and stuff thats on your car into the paint, it's always a good idea to use low pressure water when washing your car, an open ended hose is good, or at least a light mist, it's better to soak your car clean than to spray it clean. at least for the initial prewash rinse off. I use microfiber cloths to wash and to dry, terry cloth is good as well, but then again I'm a freak and like to wash my car once a week, maybe once every two weeks if I'm feeling lazy.)

yup i like to wash my car once a week too...never do i let it go over 2 weeks without washing my car hhaa...

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Well I just wax the spoiled 6 yesterday with some Mothers and some black magic on the pimp tires. Waxed the rims also to give it that nice shine and protect the clear coat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
Nuvada said:

yup i like to wash my car once a week too...never do i let it go over 2 weeks without washing my car hhaa...
once a week.......that's just crazy.....but then......i guess cuz u're from california......u guys get a lot of sunshine over there so it works out....

too much rain over here i think to wash once a week......especially right now....... (but then i guess it's worst in the east where it's all snow at the moment)

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
turtle said:
funkyfreshmonke said:
Nuvada said:

once a week.......that's just crazy.....but then......i guess cuz u're from california......u guys get a lot of sunshine over there so it works out....

too much rain over here i think to wash once a week......especially right now....... (but then i guess it's worst in the east where it's all snow at the moment)
I still wash it once a week....All that salt and calcium on the paint isn't good and I like to get rid of it every week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts