Mazda3 Forums banner

car wash = dead angel eyes?? updated again 3-29

5K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  jhershorin 
#1 ·
I am so puzzled right now...

I took my car through a car wash about 20 minutes ago. As far as I know my angel eyes were working fine beforehand (pulled up behind a black truck and I could see the reflection in the tailgate). When I got here to my boyfriend's house I got out to look at my car to see how good of a job the $10 wash really does (it looks pretty good by the way). Anyway I saw right away that the drivers side angel eyes weren't working... so I fiddled with the wires a little bit since that worked before once when they weren't working. I noticed that the ballast kept making that clicking noise you hear when the your angel eyes turn off normally. So I turned the car off and kept fiddling with the wires. I thought I found a loose connection so I turned the car back on to see if it worked and I saw that BOTH sets of angel eyes weren't working.. WTF... I've taken my car through that car wash before and never had any problems so why now? I don't understand. Are they dead? Help, I'm so bummed out right now :( this is my favorite mod and I don't want to have to do it all over again!!

This is what was making the clicking noise...

Update 3-29

I got my inverters.. I switched everything out yesterday afternoon and 3 of them work great, but the driver's side high beam ring lights up but is very dim.. I guess I will just check all of my connections again... BUT at least they are working again, YAY :) :) :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: car wash = dead angel eyes??

did u re-seal ur headlamps properly??

#5 ·

[quote author=stephanie link=topic=71465.msg1257199#msg1257199 date=1173396954]
yes, I've had no condensation at all and I've had them installed since November.
[/quote]

hmmm water entered the ballasts probably? if not get it exchanged under warranty.. u bought them from UED, didnt you?

#8 ·

While we're on this topic... how do you all with HIDs and Angel eyes store/hide/protect all the hardware necessary for them??? I havent looked around THAT much inside the engine, but it seems like an awful lot of wiring and ballasts to stow somewhere..

#9 ·

I might be able to help. And i think it might be your ballast (or inverter), i did not buy mines from the sponsor so i don't have the warranty but i already went through like 3 inverters ever since i got my DDE (about 5 dollars can get me 2 replacement inverter from an on-line vendor). Your halos arent the ones that went out, i think. Most likely its the inverters, very prone to short circuits... in any device(i.e. computers mods, lighting, etc.)

I hear stories of this happening to ppl, but i think it happens way toooo often for me. I don't know if its the quality of inverter or what... but it is getting on my nerves. I am trying to figure out how to change it so the DDE's only turn on when my parking lights are on, so it's on only a limited amount of time.

#10 ·

[quote author=sman2good link=topic=71465.msg1257718#msg1257718 date=1173417787]
I might be able to help. And i think it might be your ballast (or inverter), i did not buy mines from the sponsor so i don't have the warranty but i already went through like 3 inverters ever since i got my DDE (about 5 dollars can get me 2 replacement inverter from an on-line vendor). Your halos arent the ones that went out, i think. Most likely its the inverters, very prone to short circuits... in any device(i.e. computers mods, lighting, etc.)

I hear stories of this happening to ppl, but i think it happens way toooo often for me. I don't know if its the quality of inverter or what... but it is getting on my nerves. I am trying to figure out how to change it so the DDE's only turn on when my parking lights are on, so it's on only a limited amount of time.
[/quote]

Run a kill switch into your dash and turn them on when you want
lights or no lights

#11 ·

okay, that makes me feel a little better that they aren't completely dead... i'm not sure if it's the ballast or the inverter (or is it the same thing?) but I'll take a picture of what was making that noise later.

#13 ·

[quote author=stephanie link=topic=71465.msg1258044#msg1258044 date=1173449478]
okay, that makes me feel a little better that they aren't completely dead... i'm not sure if it's the ballast or the inverter (or is it the same thing?) but I'll take a picture of what was making that noise later.
[/quote]

did u get teh standard version or the deluxe? the deluxe comes with a spare inverter

#14 ·

I have a feeling its the inverter. Ever since I took them back off my car, sealed the bottom of them with some silicone and then wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape, I haven't had that problem. I did have that happening when I took it through on of the automated washes on my passenger side. Even when I hand washed it, probably because I was focusing on that side too much and the water just dripped on the circuits. GL though Stephanie!

#18 ·
Re: car wash = dead angel eyes?? updated with pic

so its the relay then... cause thats the thing that makes the clicking noise when turned on.

#20 ·

[quote author=stephanie link=topic=71465.msg1265880#msg1265880 date=1173832894]
are they dead?
[/quote]

try to find a similar relay and test them. Ask jake if he can get it replaced under warranty... worth a try :D

#23 ·

i have the same issue with mine when i go to the car wash but in about 30 min to an hour they are back on.

#26 ·

[quote author=Operator link=topic=71465.msg1261088#msg1261088 date=1173623296]
When I put mine on I did extra heat shrink and added liquid tape to seal them off. Might want to go this route when you get them back up and running.
[/quote]

After seeing the pic.

x2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.