Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this doesn't really anything to do with mazda specifically but I was thinking the best way to learn about the mechanical aspect of cars would be to buy a shitbox and take it apart, then put it back together :)

I want to spend the least amount of money on the car itself, and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to what to get?

I think it would be cool to get an rx-7 or maybe even mx-3 to stay in the mazda family :p

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well if you want to learn to take a car apart and put it back together it seems for practical in my opinion to go with the mx-3 since it is a regular piston engine.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
I rec a Miata. Fun, rwd, cheap. Fair warning, they are known to have issues with under body corrosion in salt/snow areas.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
if u take a shitbox and pull it apart and put it together then all you have is a shitbox

so how about you get a car thats easy to modify and do some work on it

like how about getting a 240sx and putting a sr20det in it, or a miata, or a rx7 like you said

·
Registered
172 Posts
Keep in mind youre gonna need new gaskets, seals, hardware, etc. Price adds up fast.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if u take a shitbox and pull it apart and put it together then all you have is a shitbox

so how about you get a car thats easy to modify and do some work on it

like how about getting a 240sx and putting a sr20det in it, or a miata, or a rx7 like you said
I don't want to modify the car. This for now is only for "learning experience". Soon as i know/ have a better idea of how thing work then i'll bother investing in a cool lil whip like a 240sx or supra or wtvr.

I'd rather screw something up on a 500$ car where IDGAF than on a 2-3k car.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I don't want to modify the car. This for now is only for "learning experience". Soon as i know/ have a better idea of how thing work then i'll bother investing in a cool lil whip like a 240sx or supra or wtvr
I'd rather screw something up on a 500$ car where IDGAF than on a 2-3k car.
I'm saving up for this too, actually, except I'm kinda doing the reverse: I want to buy an engine and transmission to tear down then rebuild/ just go crazy and experiment with, and then when I'm done with that/whenever I have money, find an old junk roller and take everything off the frame so I can put the engine in and "create" something :) all I really want is something that I can mess around and tinker with since I've never really been the TV or videogame type... :D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm saving up for this too, actually, except I'm kinda doing the reverse: I want to buy an engine and transmission to tear down then rebuild/ just go crazy and experiment with, and then when I'm done with that/whenever I have money, find an old junk roller and take everything off the frame so I can put the engine in and "create" something :) all I really want is something that I can mess around and tinker with since I've never really been the TV or videogame type... :D
Lol good job on finding my old thread. That sounds really cool. I'd love to know what you end up doing :p

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha I guess I didn't look at the date :p I want to buy an old Chevy v6 or v8 with a manual transmission attached and go from there :)
Ewwwwwww old american cars...... ;)

Why not go for some old bad ass datsun/nissan or our old school mazda rx7s?

Build a drift missile :p

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Cough, Miata, clear throat.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts