Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 Mz3 (~50,000Km) has not been starting well at all this winter, and I'm just wondering what the problem might be. A week ago it was taking about 10 seconds of cranking to get the engine to go, so I figured that i'd just replace the battery because it is probably the original battery, and they are only supposed to last about 5 years.

Got a new battery, pretty much the highest CCAs available (at least that I knew of) - Think it was something like 900CCA. Car starts marginally faster, but only by about 3 seconds (now its 5-7 secs to start) except now it chokes a bit, will fire for a second then crank for another second then finally get going. Doesn't sound good at all. Sure some of the time when I'm starting its -30C, but my girlfriends pontiac g5 starts right on the first crank every time.

Any idea what the problem might be?

·
Registered
265 Posts
How long is the car sitting and is it plugged in? My car sat for a week once not plugged in at -30C and it took a lot of cranks before it would start. Keep in mind its a 2009 3 and is still new. I would expect that in 5 years it will be even harder to start.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Dirty plugs, fouled fuel line and / or injectors could cause this problem as well.

The car should fire right away in NORMAL temperatures (-10 +), I would imagine it would take a bit longer at -30. Check your plugs, run some injector cleaner through the car and see what happens.

TIM

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car isn't plugged in, but neither is my girlfriend's.

I'll try the injector cleaner, havn't used it since september. The plugs might be the problem, ill check those this weekend too. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
50,000 K on a 5 year old car - I get the impression the car isn't driven very far or very often. Could be condensation in your fuel tank = water in your fuel. Methyl Hydrate will take that out.

If you don't drive much in the winter, keep your tank around the full mark - this will help prevent condensation.

TIM

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha actually quite the contrary. I bought it used in august with 46k on it, and my trip to work is 80km a day :shock:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hahahaha, probably don't have to worry about condensation in the tank then!

Have you checked the plugs or tried the injector clean yet?

TIM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts