1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That have the Mazda3 5-door MTX with these numbers:
0 - 60: 7.4 sec
Standing 1/4 mile: 16.0 @ 87 mph

They also said the car weiged 2,957 lbs. The base 3s 4-door weighs 2,762. This car is going to move! It could almost keep up with a 6s MTX and could easily beat a 6s ATX.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ummm...almost keep up ? I'd go with could easily take the 6s without a problem

·
Registered
396 Posts
around toronto, there are a lot of base rsx's and civic sir's.
if i can beat those two, i'd be happy.
i see the 6 as more family, than competition. (maybe cuz my cousin has one)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, the 6s MTX is 6.8 sec to 60 and 15.3 at the quarter, so it's not quite there. But for a base price nearly $5,000 less, I'd take it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I don't know why everyone is obsessed with racing other cars. The 3 is not designed to be a race car. It is an economy car that gets you from point a to b. I guess everyone has their own interests/style. All I'm interested in is a nice car that can get me from red light to red light. I don't need to race other cars. Even though from time to time, it may be fun to leave a civic behind. =)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
neomonkey said:
I don't know why everyone is obsessed with racing other cars. The 3 is not designed to be a race car. It is an economy car that gets you from point a to b. I guess everyone has their own interests/style. All I'm interested in is a nice car that can get me from red light to red light. I don't need to race other cars. Even though from time to time, it may be fun to leave a civic behind. =)
You probably make up less than 1% of these forums.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
98LX said:
neomonkey said:
You probably make up less than 1% of these forums.
No, I make up the more practical users on the forums.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Less than 1% of the members on the forum is about less than 2 members, so I'd say that yes, Neomonkey does make up less than 2 member of the forum.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can never have too much power! :D

Nothing wrong with Mazda 3 being almost at the front of the pack, compeition wise. Cars are getting pretty competive with eachother--and with all the features the 3 is availbe with--it is a little more then an economy car--it has some stlye and power to back it up. This ios just like the Spec V and Lancer Ralliart---tyring to inject osme perfromance and style---at anfforadable price tag,

I don't think anyone here is obsesed with racing other cars.
More power just means you don't have to rev the crap out of it--just to get it to keep up with traffic.

It also makes merging and passing on a two lane highway much safer.

I also like taking on the competion sometimes--or go out to Race City for some legal 1/4 mile fun---I have seen lots of Nissan Spec Vs there and a few Mazda Speed Proteges.

·
Registered
396 Posts
well, comfort,styling and economy of a car is already a given.
we all wouldn't be so enthusiastic about the 3 if it didn't meet these required prerequisites....

its just an added bonus that you know that you can take out another car or not.

if you had two cars with the same price, same styling,milage etc, utility...but one was faster, which would you guys pick?
i'm sure that's why we all like the mazda3, cuz its the best in its class in almost every aspect, including speed

·
Registered
172 Posts
6_funk said:
well, comfort,styling and economy of a car is already a given.
we all wouldn't be so enthusiastic about the 3 if it didn't meet these required prerequisites....

its just an added bonus that you know that you can take out another car or not.

if you had two cars with the same price, same styling,milage etc, utility...but one was faster, which would you guys pick?
i'm sure that's why we all like the mazda3, cuz its the best in its class in almost every aspect, including speed
No, not many people would choose faster car over the slower one. Just look at how many people bought mazda6 instead of altima. Same with accord. So there are still people that will buy Se-r, ralliart, etc.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
My take:

I don't want an appliance. I don't want a ricemobile-type car either.

Truth is, the 3 is a fine appliance for those that only care about A->B but with more style, comfort and features unavailable in NA and also a good car to play with the riceboys in straight line or better on a track.

Personally, I like it b/c it's European in the way ot drives but should have Japanese reliability, all at a decent price.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Absolutely

I completely agree. The 3 is a really nice econobox with tons of features that won't get you bored, and enough power to get around town, onto the highway, and do the occasional peelout for fun. It's the best of all worlds for power, reliability and fun! :wink:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think the 3 was designed to be much more than just a basic econobox (a little less fuel efficient than its competitors is a tell-tale sign). So, what you end up getting is a car that delivers (wrt the competition) heaping doses of comfort, style, performance & handling. And when you have so much in one package, it's going to appeal to a wider consumer target, hence those who are looking for performance, as well as those looking for a safe ride from A to B. Regardless of what our personal perception of what the 3 may be, I'm sure we all agree that the 3 is a great car, & one that excels from both a performance & practicality perspective.

·
Registered
882 Posts
To me the 3 is the japanese VW I've always wanted. ;)

I like to know for bench racing purposes who I can stomp and a little stoplight to speed limit run here and there is fun but yeah I agree, take it to the track.

I'll be taking my 3 to Race City this spring for sure, anyone else?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts