Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided today that it was time for me to finally get a capacitor since I've had my system installed for almost a year now. And since Circuit City is liquidating everything, that seemed as good a time as any, so there it was. I ended up with a 1.2 farad capacitor for just over $100, a pretty alright deal I think. After cussing and pounding and the like for a little while (my amp is under my driver's seat), I finally got the durn thing in and running. I took a drive to test out the TB grounding I did (which has me wearing a stupid grin every time i lean on the gas pedal .... the car revs more freely now) and everything seemed to be working fine. When I turned my headlights on after dark, though, and turned up the music, I noticed that my lights are still dimming noticeably, although a lot less than before. Does this mean I didn't get a big enough capacitor? My amp is 'dyno tested' at 488 watts, and the cap is 1.2 farad like mentioned previously. The packaging says that there should be 1 farad for every 500 watts, so it would seem my setup should be more than enough. Any ideas?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Do a search for "big 3". Caps are not going to solve your issue. (even 100 1 farad caps).

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
capacitors can help with dimming issues, but don't expect them to fix the root issue. The big three would be a good next step. As you said, your lights are dimming less than before, so people who say they don't do anything aren't right either, just don't expect them to fix the problem by themselves.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got another length on 8awg and 'supplemented' the factory ground, as well as removing the paint on the grounding point in hopes that the dimming would be even less, or completely diminish it. i have yet to see whether or not it worked, as the sun is only going down as i write this. updates to follow.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=automaticman link=topic=133853.msg2877634#msg2877634 date=1232482844]
capacitors can help with dimming issues, but don't expect them to fix the root issue. The big three would be a good next step. As you said, your lights are dimming less than before, so people who say they don't do anything aren't right either, just don't expect them to fix the problem by themselves.
[/quote]

If you have light dimming, there is another issue that a cap will never fix. Second sealed battery in back would be a much better option than a cap. Caps are a goldmine for retailers, that's why they are "suggested".

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=El Ropo link=topic=133853.msg2878446#msg2878446 date=1232500242]
Second sealed battery in back would be a much better option than a cap. Caps are a goldmine for retailers, that's why they are "suggested".
[/quote]

I'm not really sure how I feel about having a second battery .... from what I've read I don't think it's something I'm really into doing. I did drive around with the bass cranked tonight, and the lights dimmed a lot less with the extra ground wire. Now I'm thinking about doing the rest of the big 3 mod once it gets warmer and I have some extra time and cash together.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=1oopapertigers link=topic=133853.msg2879434#msg2879434 date=1232526640]
[quote author=El Ropo link=topic=133853.msg2878446#msg2878446 date=1232500242]
Second sealed battery in back would be a much better option than a cap. Caps are a goldmine for retailers, that's why they are "suggested".
[/quote]

I'm not really sure how I feel about having a second battery .... from what I've read I don't think it's something I'm really into doing. I did drive around with the bass cranked tonight, and the lights dimmed a lot less with the extra ground wire. Now I'm thinking about doing the rest of the big 3 mod once it gets warmer and I have some extra time and cash together.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to say you need a second battery. If your amp is only capable of ~500 watts rms, it really shouldn't be needed. I was trying to make the point that a second sealed battery would be much more effective for your issue, than a cap of any value/type.

I'm running 1100 watts RMS, and big 3 (done in 2 ga.), and have no dimming issues at all.

I'd personally look for a good deal on some 4 ga wire to complete the big3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.